• Guest - w'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the 2026 Survey »

Time to act

spencer72

Member
Messages
8
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good afternoon,

I have been lurking for a while and found it informative. I was diagnosed with prediabetes while in hospital in Turkey. I ignored it like a fool. Anyway recently my blood results said I was pre-diabectic and I have finally decided to tackle the problem. I've probably been like this for a decade.
I'm absolutely determined to put this into remission. I was around 16 and a half stone until 14th May came along where I decided to fast. I saw a picture of my belly on my mates phone and this my epiphany. I only eat two meals a day now. Last being before 6pm. The first two weeks were extremely difficult. I couldn't sleep due to being extremely hungry. Some days i couldnt get to sleep until 5am.This got better as time went on. I always thought I had the fat gene but since cutting down on carbs/sugars etc and fasting I'm noticing the difference.

I have always struggled with my weight until now and even found quitting smoking easier. I'm just under 15 stone now and feel great for it.

I intend to diet and walk myself to death to reverse this. I brought myself a glucose monitor and I'm absolutely obsessed with it. It's my new PlayStation game.

My hobbies are tropical fish, Brighton Hove Albion and hand feeding a vixen fox I named Vanda.
 
Well done on the weight loss and good luck keeping it up.
You do not mention if you have seen a Dr or Diabetic nurse if you have not then please do.
what level are your readings ?
 
Hi, welcome :)

Well done with your progress so far! A couple of points I would like to mention is that you don't need to feel hungry, make sure you eat enough protein and fats to satisfy you whilst cutting down on carbs. This shouldn't feel like a 'diet' as such, more a new way of eating. I agree with @Mark Rawlinson about seeing a doctor.

Lastly, I was at Brighton a couple of weeks back...as an Arsenal fan. Wow! Very well played, the high line caught us out now that a couple of our faster players have been sold. :confused: There's a football thread here if you would like to join in.

 
I agree with @zand - you don’t need to go hungry, in fact for me personally I find if I’m hungry it actually has a detrimental effect on my BG and raises my numbers. I don’t fast but I don’t snack either. I have 3 meals a day with about 6 hours in between but I don’t eat many carbs at all. About 20g carb a day. I also have a small no carb snack about 10pm, something like a hard boiled egg with a bit of mayo, or a small piece of cheese & a few nuts or a bit of celery.
 
Well done on the weight loss and good luck keeping it up.
You do not mention if you have seen a Dr or Diabetic nurse if you have not then please do.
what level are your readings ?
I'm going to my doctors today to get my last reading. I only received a text message back in June asking if I would like to join a programme. I will definitely ask about seeing a diabetic doctor/nurse
 
I agree with @zand - you don’t need to go hungry, in fact for me personally I find if I’m hungry it actually has a detrimental effect on my BG and raises my numbers. I don’t fast but I don’t snack either. I have 3 meals a day with about 6 hours in between but I don’t eat many carbs at all. About 20g carb a day. I also have a small no carb snack about 10pm, something like a hard boiled egg with a bit of mayo, or a small piece of cheese & a few nuts or a bit of celery.
I'm probably about 50gr - 80gr of carbs aday. Yeah my blood levels rise in the evening so I've started walking before bed also.
 
Tried replying to Zand but ran into technical issues on here.
Sorry about that @spencer72, did you get an error message when trying to reply? the forum can glitch sometimes, try again or you can try tagging a member by putting @ in front of their name like I have with your name in this post. If you continue to have problems just give myself or another of the mod team a shout :)
 
Saw a wonderful nurse this morning who wasn't actually a diabetic nurse. She was absolutely fantastic, witty, understanding and so down to earth. She showed me pictures of herself and said she was pre-diabectic.
Anyway my A1c in 2022 was 46. June this year was 43. She done another blood test which I was grateful for.
She basically told me to carry on exactly what I was doing. My HDL was 4.5.? Blood pressure normal and I lost about 15kgs. BMI from 33 to 28. I had both feet tested which hasn't happened before.
She was genuinely pleased with my results and my commitment to reversing it.
I left the surgery happy and energised.
Yesterday I did 27382 steps broken up into different walks. Walking time 3 hours 43 mins. These were proper walks not just steps counted throughout the day. I'm on course for the same steps total today.
 
Back
Top