Too much childhood sugar?

Russ-T

Dislikes
Dance music, romcoms, ignorant and intolerant people. Football aka soccer. Aubergines aka egg plants.
As a newbie type 2 I 'm still learning about the disease and have been musing about it's cause.

I've read the statement that eating a lot of sugar doesn't give you diabetes, but something got me thinking about the body's tendency to wear out if exposed to repetitive misuse.

I was wondering whether eating too much sugar when young caused my pancreas to work overtime and whether my current insulin inefficiency was caused by the 'wearing out' of my islets.
Could it be that they got overused and produce low quality/quantity insulin now simply because i ate too many sweets as a kid?

Stuboy

Dislikes
Crowds. Being high. Being Hypo.
im not so sure...

as a type 2 it's not that your not producing insulin, it's more of a resistance to insulin.

I dont know how eating sweet things could affect your ability to USE insulin. I could understand the logic behind not PRODUCING insulin, but using it? In theory you should be really good and using the insulin as it's had lots of practice :mrgreen:

Sorry i haven't been very helpful at all there lol

KimSuzanne

I have to agree with Sue this was suggested when i was diagnosed that too much sugar wore my pancreas out but I was diagnosed ay 7 years old in a time when we ate real food all the time and sweets once a fortnight was our treat.

lionrampant

The closest thing to this that actually exists as a legit theory is the prevailing one about type 2 - that our processed foods have a lot to do with it. The sudden peaks and troughs of blood sugar levels caused by sugary, processed food can apparently increase insulin resistance.

Disclaimer: I'm type 1, so this is fog-of-war territory for me