Training / Carbs

joelcam

Hi all,

I am going to try to explain myself as best I can..

I train 5 days a week alternating between weights and cardio (which I did pre-diabetes too).

Usually have no issues at all and levels are fine before, during and after training. On the days I do weight I tend to take in a few more carbs to sustain my energy levels. Sometimes I do this but take a little too much insulin and then end up having a mild-hypo before I train. I always correct the hypo but does this mean that all the carbs I have eaten will no longer sustain me when I train due to the fact that I have 'insulinned' them all away? Or another way of phrasing my question is "if you eat a big bowl of pasta but then hypo are your energy levels back to zero again and I might as well have eaten next to nothing?"

JC

jopar

It would very much depend on what type of carbs, how much overshoot of insulin and time scale of insuling injection to when carbs where eaten...

I use your bowl of pasta to make the above a tad clear if I can :D

Pasta is quite a slow adsorbing carb, so if you injected your insulin before eating the pasta, the injected insulin could be hitting the BG before the Pasta has started to adsorb, so you end up hypo and needing to correct, but you are only correcting on the time factor, not the actual carbs from the pasta, they haven't quite hit the system yet..

If you are eating a faster adsorbing carb, which matches your insulin to dose, then it's likely you would be either zero or very near to the zero line not a lot of carbs left to adsorb into the system..

You are most likely to find, that carb/insulin ratio's will differ with the two different types of training, as they will use different muscles, so the bruning of insulin and carbs can be different.. So you need a slight different tactic to tackle each activity.

Hope it all makes sense

maria030660

Dislikes
backstabbers, brocoli and dirt toilets...uggghhhh
Hi,

I have been a body builder and diabetic for a long time. As you know food is the most important factor in building up muscles and also keeping strong control over BG balances. It can be done but it requires rigorous carb counting and knowing your body well and how it reacts. I must admit i had a great nutrician watching over me like a lion and where always the number one priority was control of the diabetes. Portion of food should not exceed the size of your hand palm and its protein>carb>protein> carb with carb just before training and protein straight after, if taken carefully it balances out with the units injected. Best way is to try things out what works well and find a good nutrician who can help you with what you want to achieve .....it sounds like a battleplan and it basically is but every inch of muscles gained without getting sick or hypo's is a victory.

Angeldust

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
WINTER. COLD. RAIN. WIND.
I did a lot of cardio at the gym so beforehand I would take carbs (toast/pasta) a bottle of lucozade sport while working out and protein afterwords. No rapid acting before the gym and my levels remained perfect by sticking to this.