Travelling/time zones

eg56

I am travelling to the States next week and am wondering how people deal with time differences and insulin? Should I keep basal injection times at GMT?

Also, in terms of ratios for QA, should I keep them based on the meal I am having (1:10 for lunch etc) or change them based on the time of the day it is in the UK?

Thanks in advance!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

angieG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think on our carb counting course they said keep your basal pretty much to the same time GMT as you can (obviously you may have to move it a bit if the time ends up in the middle of the night) but if you keep it the same you shouldn't have any gaps or overlaps as you travel.

As for the QA, do you have different ratios for different meals? If so I think you will have to see how things go and what time you eating in relation to your basal injection time. Also it will depend on when you have your main meal etc.

Lots of places over there have low carb options on their menus which is great and they are usually flexible and will adapt to what you ask for too. Watch out for hidden carbs though as they do like some things real sweet sometimes!!

Have a good time.

Angie