Two different blood glucose readings within one minute.

Carole12

Hi, I have the Contour Plus monitor which I thought was good, but I took a blood test 2 hours after my main meal which was 6.4. Thinking it was a bit low for me, I re took it one minute later and got a reading of 7.1. Now I’m wondering if I should get a much more accurate little meter. Does anyone have any suggestions, or does anyone perhaps have any thoughts about this ‘hiccup’ which took place.

Many thanks.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I do not see anything untoward with these readings.
Our meters need to be accurate within 15%. Considering this, the two readings are pretty much the same thing.
Or you may have had something on your finger or your levels may be rising.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No meter is perfect. They all have a 15% error allowance. You can test the same blood drop twice and get different readings. That said the precise number isn’t that important. Mid low high 6’s etc is plenty accurate enough. Anything less than 1mmol difference is quite normal. Consider that type 1 inject a potentially lethal drug using these numbers and do okay with the level of accuracy, us type 2 and prediabetics using it for trends should have no issues.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've had Contour (XT and Next) meters for most of my 9+ years as a T2 and have found them completely reliable. As already suggested it's quite normal to get slightly different results if taking a couple of tests very close together -and it's also possible for this to happen using the same drop of blood and two separate test strips.

Omar51

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The more you test the more different results you will have. If you keep on testing it can drive you crazy. It’s better to test one time only or try another test meter.
I have One Touch Verio IQ and I am happy with it. It’s important to clean hands thoroughly with warm water and dry completely, good luck

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The more you test the more different results you will have. If you keep on testing it can drive you crazy. It’s better to test one time only or try another test meter.
I have One Touch Verio IQ and I am happy with it. It’s important to clean hands thoroughly with warm water and dry completely, good luck
Agreed, unless it’s totally unexpected then I’d repeat in case of contamination, or a rogue reading - that can happen

If I do repeat and get similar’ish numbers I take the average.

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
The two results are just 0.7 apart, they are essentially the same result.
If one had been 6.4 and the other 9 something, then one of them would have been outside the acceptable accuracy standard.
But the meters are not accurate enough to get excited over a less than 1mmol difference.

Reactions: plantae