Type 1 and Piercings.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ive been diagnosed for nearly a year now and have alwaysss wanted my nose pierced, and ive finally got the guts to go and have it done but im not sure if its safe? I know if my blood sugars are controlled ill be fine, any onegot any input and could help me pleaseee? :mrgreen:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I'm cringing just reading your post :( ........ all I would say is check first with your HCP's if your unsure and use someone reputable.

Elc1112

I haven't got my nose pierced, but do have a few eat piercings and also have a belly button piercing. Never had any problems with them. As noblehead said, though, make sure you go somewhere reputable. If your sugars are under control they will heal better too.

Happy piercing! :)

Em

Tracey167

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

I had my nosed pierced about 14 years ago and my belly button never had any problems, decided to get rid of them once i had my 3rd baby now they have closed up. I never experienced no problems after having them done.

tracey167

thomasboleyn

Unless you've had problems in the past I think you'll be fine. I am a 25 year old type 1 and have both arms tattooed and have had several piercings in the past, and have never, ever had any issues. It really boils down to how well you care for the piercing. In my experience a lot of people are scared (or are just unaware of actually how to) clean a new piercing. My advice is to buy some 'wound wash' type spray from Boots/Superdrug and liberally spray it twice a day, then remove any gunk with a cotton bud. There is no need to actually touch the piercing or jewelery itself, and doing this will lead to irritation and infection, diabetes or no diabetes. Hope this helps!

Tracey167

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi
I had a ears, nose piercing and belly button piercing years ago and never had any problems with none of them, but since having my last child 9 years ago i no longer have in my nose or belly button piercing, my belly button closed up as i had to take it out when i was pregnant and could'nt get it back in after having the baby. I think they close up very quickly.

tracey167

picklebean

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have type1 and I've had my lip, tongue and nipples pierced... no problems at all. I think if your sugars run high then you can have some problems with healing times and infections, but as long as you are good at keeping the piercing clean you should be fine!

Elc1112

Nipples pierced - you're brave! I passed out when I had my belly button pierced and, I am slightly ashamed to say, that I cried when I had the top of my ear done. Ha ha