Type 1 Diabetes

joesy

Hello there,
Im a desperate mum seeking any advice, my 15 yr old son callum got diagnosed with type 1 diabetes 9 weeks ago. I could cry every single day not knowing what will happen next with him, he is in the honeymoon stage and is having hypos often. He has lost his confidence and stays in all the time, is this normal ? any advice plz

THANK YOU xx

cjp

joesy said:
Hello there,
Im a desperate mum seeking any advice, my 15 yr old son callum got diagnosed with type 1 diabetes 9 weeks ago. I could cry every single day not knowing what will happen next with him, he is in the honeymoon stage and is having hypos often. He has lost his confidence and stays in all the time, is this normal ? any advice plz

THANK YOU xx
Hi I am new here but been type1 for the last 22years (I am currently 28)..He will be fine, I went through teenage years with the odd hypo, this happens with growth hormone changes as the insulin absorption changes (Apparently) but he can live a normal life, drive, work, uni (Go out on a Friday/Saturday night...I can confirm this is possible in my younger days :lol:) and generally live life to the full,

He just needs to keep an eye on his blood levels and react accordingly (Sugar/insulin as needed)

Chris

A

Anonymous

hi been type 1 since i was 4 (36yrs in total) .callum will be fine its alot to get used to,so will need lots of friends and family support,just try to treat him as normal,he will adjust and start going out again let him know of the surport that is about and get him to talk,this web site is brill for this,once he has settled there is no reason why he cant do most things like any young lad,hope all goes well.

Deb

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi Josey,

There's some excellent posters on here who have type 1 children so hopefully they'll offer some advice when they see your post, for now try and report back to his care-team any problems he is experiencing and they'll advise about adjusting insulin doses during this honeymoon period.

todmum

My son was 15 when he was diagnosed just over a year ago, he has been a weird case, he was at blood level 30 when admitted to hospital but that fell within a few weeks and he stayed on insulin until march when he came off it altogether, they say he started honeymoon around december but coz of so many hypos he could come off insulin. His levels have been non diabetic since, they say he is having a good honeymoon but its like being in constant limbo, not knowing when it will rear its ugly head again, if ever!! We have had c peptide tests and they show type 1 but no one seems to have heard about people coming off insulin altogether!! Your son will be fine. If he is on facebook then get him to look into the groups on there for teens with type 1, they all have a chat about stuff and it helps them deal with stuff. And if you are on facebook then look into a few groups for mums with children with type 1, they offer loads of support x