Type 1 diabetic injection sites question

cbooth5

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi guys,

Been diagnosed 6 months now and things are getting a bit more stable on the whole with everything. I have good time in range and on the whole doing well so far.

The only worry for the future is the diabetic nurse mentioned a few fat deposits in my belly already. I take real care to rotate and not to inject unless its not tender but now and again miss one. I'm trying to avoid the sites for 2 months and put a cross on my injection chart to avoid it.

My question is, I'm using my legs for tresiba and stomach for novorapid rotating one side, then swapping. How long typically do these injection sites last? Do they last lifelong if looked after properly and carefully or I have heard a rumour of roughly 10 years? How many years has everyone been using pens for so far?

hate the idea of having a pump, as feel more in control with pens and can forget about the insulin for hours in between. It makes me anxious knowing one day I may have to switch to pump or alternative methods, as heard of malfunctions happening and pens i find just easier although havent read up much anout pumps. I was rushed in the last appointment so didn't have time to chat about it, thanks in advance

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Try using buttocks for Tresiba one side a week. Then you would be able to rotate legs and stomach for Novorapid. I do these so each area is used once every 4 weeks. If you think about it your thighs are a large area underused by a once a day injection. But you are overusing the stomach area. When I first started out 10 years ago my husband did the buttocks one but I quickly progressed to doing it myself and it’s pretty easy.

Reactions: cbooth5

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
Been diabetic for 43 years must have been on pen for about 35 ish I rotate daily leg belly leg belly not had a problem and initially needles were literally darts, don’t even notice the 4mm ones I use now , rotation is definitely the key ,

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m impressed you have a chart for injection sites, I do bolus in my belly completely random hits, if I’m in Public I do the back of my arms (like where the libre goes) because I don’t want to inflict a belly flash on the world, basal is in my bum as I’m in my kitchen and won’t get arrested, best of luck

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
I’ve jabbed my leg and belly through my clothes not recommended by the “ powers”. That be but I’m a rebel and as yet no side effects , besides without experimentation how do ever knom