Type 1. How do I get my insulin changed?

AdamT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been on lantus for around ten years and before that I was on the 2x a day mix Humulin.

I genuinely feel that lantus has made me really unwell. I have tried levemir but it made me feel worse. Is there any reason this could be? My doctors are really stuck I their ways so I don't know how to go about trying a new insulin.

Thanks in advance
Adam

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Are you under the care of your gp surgery? If you are and they are hesitant to change your basal insulin then ask for a referral over to your hospital diabetes clinic, they will likely change you over if they think that lantus isn't working for you.

Reactions: 2 people

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have been on lantus for around ten years and before that I was on the 2x a day mix Humulin.

I genuinely feel that lantus has made me really unwell. I have tried levemir but it made me feel worse. Is there any reason this could be? My doctors are really stuck I their ways so I don't know how to go about trying a new insulin.

Thanks in advance
Adam
Yes, I am with Noblehead. Lantus doesn't work for a lot of people, especially at low doses. There are other insulins such as Levemir and now Tresiba, which may be better for you. Make sure you keep really good records of carbs, blood sugar and bolus insulin for a few weeks and get a diabetic clinic appointment. Then you can ask for a change of insulin.

Reactions: 2 people
M

mrspuddleduck

Just curious, why did you change from Humulin? Did you have problems with it too? Sue x