She was so confident in her words that she knew what she was talking about... when infact she didnt have a clue! (SIGH)!
She's a dentist... They do teeth..? You may get a little more "sympathy" from a periodontist.. They tend to ask "what your diabetes control is like?" Like they know all "dat *****." But they do gums and oral hygiene....I was diagnosed type one july 2015 aged 26.
I went to the dentist yesterday.. first time since my diagnosis.. on the part of the form that asks if you take any medication.. i wrote down insulin. Anyway the dentist noticed this and said to me..
"You have never mentioned this before".. i said oh actually the last time i came here i wasn't diabetic.. She then says...
"why have you been diagnosed so late".. I looked confused i told her i had symptoms for a couple of weeks and was diagnosed in A&E last year, so yeah ive been type one for almost 18 months now.. what do you mean so late? .. she then said ..
"Well how did you not notice for all those years that you had diabetes?" ..
I told her i didn't have it for years, my dad was diagnosed at the same age as me, so its genetically carried in my case but something triggered it. I didn't understand what she was getting at.. she was basically implying that i've had diabetes since i was a young child and just never noticed? Haha.. I tried to explain i wouldn't be alive if i didn't notice i was diabetic for 27 years!? She then started giving me stern advice on how to look after my teeth because now i've FINALLY realised i'm diabetic i am prone to problems with my teeth!
What on earth?! I really don't mind people not understanding diabetes especially when somebody has no to reason to know about diabetes or what it is.. but she was quite rude and was implying that i was strange to have never noticed i was diabetic and basically did not listen when i tried to explain that i haven't been diabetic literally my whole life without knowing because that wouldn't be possible!!
She was so confident in her words that she knew what she was talking about... when infact she didnt have a clue! (SIGH)! I walked out very confused but also found it quite funny!
I was diagnosed type one july 2015 aged 26.
I went to the dentist yesterday.. first time since my diagnosis.. on the part of the form that asks if you take any medication.. i wrote down insulin. Anyway the dentist noticed this and said to me..
"You have never mentioned this before".. i said oh actually the last time i came here i wasn't diabetic.. She then says...
"why have you been diagnosed so late".. I looked confused i told her i had symptoms for a couple of weeks and was diagnosed in A&E last year, so yeah ive been type one for almost 18 months now.. what do you mean so late? .. she then said ..
"Well how did you not notice for all those years that you had diabetes?" ..
I told her i didn't have it for years, my dad was diagnosed at the same age as me, so its genetically carried in my case but something triggered it. I didn't understand what she was getting at.. she was basically implying that i've had diabetes since i was a young child and just never noticed? Haha.. I tried to explain i wouldn't be alive if i didn't notice i was diabetic for 27 years!? She then started giving me stern advice on how to look after my teeth because now i've FINALLY realised i'm diabetic i am prone to problems with my teeth!
What on earth?! I really don't mind people not understanding diabetes especially when somebody has no to reason to know about diabetes or what it is.. but she was quite rude and was implying that i was strange to have never noticed i was diabetic and basically did not listen when i tried to explain that i haven't been diabetic literally my whole life without knowing because that wouldn't be possible!!
She was so confident in her words that she knew what she was talking about... when infact she didnt have a clue! (SIGH)! I walked out very confused but also found it quite funny!
Dude. America has the best dentists in the world.. You look fantastic. (Though not my type.) why waste these "brilliant minds" educating on something they have no "vocation" for....?I was diagnosed last year at 27 so I know where you're coming from and have had similar conversations. My initial reaction was to get frustrated and annoyed, but the more I deal with it the more patient I become. I try to remember that aren't a whole lot of us (type 1's) out there and even fewer were diagnosed later in life and it would be unreasonable to expect everyone to know everything there is to know about T1D, and especially when it's still referred to as "Juvenile Diabetes."
Take it as an opportunity to educate those who are ignorant, and remember that some people will continue to be ignorant. It sounds like you handled yourself very well. It certainly won't be the last time you have that same conversation with somebody. I can promise you that.
I think the Irish might argue on who is the best, the the Australians will jump in meanwhile The Scots will just be aaahhDude. America has the best dentists in the world.. You look fantastic. (Though not my type.) why waste these "brilliant minds" educating on something they have no "vocation" for....?
Love that, made me laughI was told by my GP's receptionist on Monday that I have diabetes because I ate too many sweets as a child. I think "ripped her a new ar*ehole" is quite apt in this instance.
People are idiots.
Maybe she's no good at thatShe should stick to dentistry
"Thank you for your opinion Doctor, but unfortunately you have no idea what you are talking about? "I was told by my GP's receptionist on Monday that I have diabetes because I ate too many sweets as a child. I think "ripped her a new ar*ehole" is quite apt in this instance.
People are idiots.
Had my blood taken this week ready for my diabetic review. The NURSE was surprised at me being a diabetic for so long as she thought it was something you grew out of after childhood. Not sure where she got that idea from!I was told by my GP's receptionist on Monday that I have diabetes because I ate too many sweets as a child. I think "ripped her a new ar*ehole" is quite apt in this instance.
People are idiots.
I was diagnosed type one july 2015 aged 26.
I went to the dentist yesterday.. first time since my diagnosis.. on the part of the form that asks if you take any medication.. i wrote down insulin. Anyway the dentist noticed this and said to me..
"You have never mentioned this before".. i said oh actually the last time i came here i wasn't diabetic.. She then says...
"why have you been diagnosed so late".. I looked confused i told her i had symptoms for a couple of weeks and was diagnosed in A&E last year, so yeah ive been type one for almost 18 months now.. what do you mean so late? .. she then said ..
"Well how did you not notice for all those years that you had diabetes?" ..
I told her i didn't have it for years, my dad was diagnosed at the same age as me, so its genetically carried in my case but something triggered it. I didn't understand what she was getting at.. she was basically implying that i've had diabetes since i was a young child and just never noticed? Haha.. I tried to explain i wouldn't be alive if i didn't notice i was diabetic for 27 years!? She then started giving me stern advice on how to look after my teeth because now i've FINALLY realised i'm diabetic i am prone to problems with my teeth!
What on earth?! I really don't mind people not understanding diabetes especially when somebody has no to reason to know about diabetes or what it is.. but she was quite rude and was implying that i was strange to have never noticed i was diabetic and basically did not listen when i tried to explain that i haven't been diabetic literally my whole life without knowing because that wouldn't be possible!!
She was so confident in her words that she knew what she was talking about... when infact she didnt have a clue! (SIGH)! I walked out very confused but also found it quite funny!
Good grief!Had my blood taken this week ready for my diabetic review. The NURSE was surprised at me being a diabetic for so long as she thought it was something you grew out of after childhood. Not sure where she got that idea from!
We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:
Do you accept cookies and these technologies?
We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:
Do you accept cookies and these technologies?