Type 2 Diabetes ... Mum getting lows although on Metformin

jen34

Hi All,
I am new to all this and a concerned daughter. My mum has recently been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and put straight onto Metformin tabs, at 1st these where 2 times daily.
Now she has been put on 3 times daily, so 2 tabs in the morning and 1 tab at night.
My concern at the moment is that although she is controlling her diet, I have to add through very little information given to her from her 'Diabetic nurse' she has basically been going in blind.
After her breakfast (for instance she had 2 slices of toast and scrambled egg) then took her 2 tabs 10am, by lunch time she tested her bloods and they where 5.1 ?? she took herself to the shop and got a bar of chocolate to pick herself back up.
I am not sure 100% of all the facts and am trying to learn for her so I can talk her through step by step.

I am making her contact the diabetic nurse so we can both go together and I will make sure they help her out with more information on diet control. As mum was practically starving herself when she got diagnosed because she was very scared. (Understandably).

Would anyone know of any reason why there would be a what I would class as a dramatic drop in sugar levels? too much Metformin? Not enough sugar in diet?
So confused.

Jen

St0ker

Re: Type 2 Diabetes ... Mum getting lows although on Metform

Everyone is different, but I was advised by my diabetic consultant to try and keep my pre-meal (fasting) sugar levels between 4 and 6. I would regard 5.1 before a meal as a good reading to have, and certainly wouldn't be rushing out to eat chocolate, just stick with a proper meal.

If my levels get lower than 4, that's when I start to feel a bit dizzy and think about chocolate! It is a bit of a balancing act when you first start the meds and measuring, so good luck - Your mum will get the hang of it, there's plenty of useful info on this website, especially if she has a caring daughter willing to read through it!

St0ker

Oh, and the other thing I forgot to mention, you can't have a hypo on metformin so try not to worry about your levels getting too low unless you're injecting insulin.

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.

A healthy non diabetic has a range somewhere between 3.8 and 5.5. I am Type 2 like your mother and am also on Metformin and I keep my levels as close to that same non diabetic range as possible. 5.1 is a fine healthy reading which she should be proud of.

It is not possible for someone to Hypo on Metformin as that drug does not stimulate insulin production. A Type 2 diabetic on Metformin has the same biological responses to low blood sugar levels as a non diabetic person. In either a Type 2 person or a non diabetic if your blood begin to drop too low your body will automatically compensate. To do this your liver will dump glucose into your bloodstream so to stop this self correction mechanism you need to have done something or taken something to override that natural response and Metformin is no where near powerful enough to do that.

A Hypo is defined as a VERY RAPID drop (normally in minutes) in blood glucose levels to below 2.7. This rapid drop can only come about by an injection of insulin or in very exceptional cases very strong drugs that promote insulin production. Even at 2.7 many diabetics are still quite coherent in fact some remain alert and coherent right down into the high 1's.

So stop worrying and ENCOURAGE your mother to aim for 4's.

Unbeliever

Definitely sounds as though you rmum is doing very well jen. It may well be though , if her levels were higher previously
and she may be experiencing "false hypos" . This means that she will experience hypo symptoms although her levels are not low enough to be lcassified as hypo.

It takes a while for the body to adjust to the lowered blood sugar levels. It may take quite a while if she has been running on very high levels or raised levels for some time. Evenually she will start to feel better when her levels are lower but in the meantime
she will naturally feel impelled to ry to reurn to the levels which make her feel more comfortable - hence the chocolate.

Doesn't sound as though mum has a grea deal o worry about jen - and she is lucky o have you to help her.

I would disagree alittle with xyzzy about the hypo levels though. I know he is correct as far as the srict medical definition of hpo is concerned but I believe his is just a measuremen used in hospiyals - I apaologise in advance if i am wrong.

Most of us will start o experience some sort of hyppo sympoms under or at 3.9. Although they will correct themselves
it may take a while and make your mum feel quite unwell if she is feeling uncomfortable wih readings in the fives.
She won't require hypo reatment as such bu mabe , unil she gets used o it all o rif she is feeling prey dreadful a small snack
might be allowed being careful not to overdo it and send her levels the other way.

Good luck with it all . I am sure your mum will soon adjust to it all.

daisy3174

Hi there, yes I would agree 5.1 is a good level, although if your mothers level has dropped quickly it will give hypo symptoms as previously mentioned. I do disagree with not being able to have Hypos without insulin I am not on any medication yet as I go as low as 2.7mmol, I think anything under 4mmol is classed as a Hypo if there are symtoms. You will get the hang of things slowly and find out which foods cause sugar swings, the important thing is to keep testing regularly for a while x

C

catherinecherub

jen34 said:
Hi All,
I am new to all this and a concerned daughter. My mum has recently been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and put straight onto Metformin tabs, at 1st these where 2 times daily.
Now she has been put on 3 times daily, so 2 tabs in the morning and 1 tab at night.
My concern at the moment is that although she is controlling her diet, I have to add through very little information given to her from her 'Diabetic nurse' she has basically been going in blind.
After her breakfast (for instance she had 2 slices of toast and scrambled egg) then took her 2 tabs 10am, by lunch time she tested her bloods and they where 5.1 ?? she took herself to the shop and got a bar of chocolate to pick herself back up.
I am not sure 100% of all the facts and am trying to learn for her so I can talk her through step by step.

I am making her contact the diabetic nurse so we can both go together and I will make sure they help her out with more information on diet control. As mum was practically starving herself when she got diagnosed because she was very scared. (Understandably).

Would anyone know of any reason why there would be a what I would class as a dramatic drop in sugar levels? too much Metformin? Not enough sugar in diet?
So confused.

Jen

Hi jen and welcome to the forum.

I would recommend that you read the advice given to newly diagnosed diabetics here,
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=17088

Starving herself wil not help Mum gain control, diabetes management responds much better to regular meals.
As others have said, her lower readings will cause her to feel unwell as her body is used to running higher levels.
It does take a while to understand all that management entails and your best friend is a meter and plenty of test strips initially. Don't be swayed by what others may tell you that you can and cannot eat as this is an individual response to foods and not any hard and fast rule. There are various methods that people use within the forum.

I would query the advice given about a very low blood sugar being nothing to worry about and your body giving an immediate response. It can make you feel really lousy and those few minutes waiting for your body to compensate can be quite frightening.

You do not say if Mum has any other health problems or conditions with regard to being able to exercise or decide on food choices. I hope not as it can make it difficult sometimes and may require input from a Dietitian.

jen34

Thanku so much guys I take in all the information and although I wont take anything as gospel I will keep it all in mind as it is greatly appreciated to be able to share my concerns :).

I did however fail to mention (sorry) that mum does suffer from Multiple Sclerosis and Arthritis and is not very mobile!! she has had a couple of falls lately due to feeling dizzy.
I have spoke to her about this site and will introduce her to it shortly when I get time to add her on as I believe talking to others dealing with the same day to day issues will be good for her.
We have been trying to get an appointment to speak to her diabetic nurse today ... the 1st available appointment is 27th March !! So Monday morning there will be another phone call made as she needs the reassurance all is ok and alot more information on her own case!! I believe anyway.

She is taking all the information and writing it down now eg: what she is eating ... her levels before food and 2 hours after on my instruction :) although I have to say it was thanks again to this site that I was able to give her such instruction. :)

I shall go now and thankyou all again so much x