Variations in requirements of insulin

cats1336

I have been type 1 diabetic since I was 10 I an now 53. I have been trying hard to control my sugars after many years of self neglect. I have a malignant brain tumor diagnosed in 1996, two surgeries 2005 and 2008 to debulk with a diagnosis of malignant oligodendroglioma in 2008. I have refused radiotherapy and chemo as I feel it would kill me quicker and have tried to boost my immune system instead. I am moreorless vegan, eat vey little wheat, dairy or sugar, I drink wheat grass powder, vitamins and probiotics and have managed to keep my cancer stable. I have some digestion problems and vomit very easily, so I have to be careful what I eat. My main problem is working out how much insulin I need daily. Sometimes I need around 22units a day and other times I need 30 units a day. This causes problems with hypos and highs when I am trying to keep stable. I also feel more unwell when I need more insulin. I think it is related to the hormone cycle as when I had periods the first two weeks of the menstral cycle were low insulin requirements and the latter were high insulin requirements. Can anyone give me their experence or thoughts on this problem? Thanks Sheila.

Johnd666

Based on your Total Daily dose you small amounts of insulin can make your blood sugar change rapidly. I highly reccoment pump therapy, 0.025 units be given so e.g insted of 4 units 3.525