• Guest - w'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the 2026 Survey »

Varying carbs content in lentils

qui

Newbie
Messages
1
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Hi, I am a type 2 diabetic, diagnosed about 8 months ago, and am managing well so far without medication, through diet and exercise. Can someone please shed light on this: lentils are generally recommended as part of a healthy, relatively low carb diet. However, browsing the shelves at my grocer/greengrocer, the seven or eight different types of lentils they carry all have vastly varying carbohydrates content, according to the table on the packaging. The lowest I have seen is 12/100grams, the highest 65/100. I would obviously go for the 12/100 type, correct? Or does it not make much of a difference? Going by what I have read so far about lentils as part of a diabetic's diet, there is no specific talk about this difference in carbs content and its implications for what's preferable.
 
I would always go for the lower carb models, but the best advice as always - eat to your meter
 
Hi @qui I have just had a look online at a couple of supermarkets. Some list the nutritional info as cooked and some as dried. This might explain things: cooked = more water + less lentils per 100g so less carbs.

As Walnut says above, best to test. Good luck.
 
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn More.…