Vegan Low Carber

Lizzie7

Hi guys,

A couple of people have asked me what I eat as an almost vegan low carber and what affect it has on my blood sugars. I do eat greek yoghurt and butter so not a proper vegan but no cheese, eggs etc.

I was brought up a vegan and have pretty much continued for health reasons. I have never tasted cheese or red meat (I know - weird!). I have tried fish and chicken a couple of times but I find it difficult to eat and a bit strange!

I'm recently diagnosed (July) and diet only. Docs waiting to see if I'm a type 1 or 2. Normal weight at diagnosis, BMI currently 22.

The major change I've made since diagnosis is cutting out cereal, wholemeal bread, wholemeal pasta and other grains such as bulgur wheat.

Here's what I've eaten today:

Fasting BG: 4.5

Breakfast
150g Greek yoghurt mixed with 2 tablespoons of ground linseeds, a tablespoon of slivered almonds and about 10 raspberries.

1 hour later: 4.6
2 hours later: 4.7

Mid Morning:

I eat something around 11am if I've had an early breakfast. Usually an apple, pear, some blueberries, a tiny celementine or half an avocado plus about 6 macademia nuts. Today I had a fake peperrami style stick made out of seitan (about 3g carbs)

Before Lunch: 4.6

Lunch
1 slice Burgen soya & linseed bread (11g carbs per slice), houmous, salad leaves
cauliflower soup
5 brazil nuts

2 hours later: 5.1

Dinner
Spicy channa dal served with broccoli and green beans
1 low carb brownie (home made from ground almonds and pecans with 85% cocoa cholcoate - about 2.5g carb per brownie)

Don't test this meal as it doesn't affect my bg much maybe an increase of 0.2 or 0.3 over two to three hours. Channa Dal has been a real find - there's lots of info about it on mendosa.com

I'll probably have a snack this evening (as it's Saturday night!) and a glass of wine.

Hope this helps.

Lizzie

Spiral

I'm a proper veggie too :D and always looking for new recipies

They are fabulous numbers :mrgreen: I wish they were mine, but I have loads of weight to lose and I have fallen quite a way from the low carb wagon in the last week or so, but having said that, mu numbers are not too bad when i stick witht he program. What meds do you take?

Lizzie7

Hi Spiral,

I don't take any meds yet - the consultant at diagnosis (July) said that they would need to put me onto insulin soon - A1C was 10%. Three weeks later they did an A1C and it was 6.7%. Expecting the next one to be a lot lower - fingers crossed.

Mind you, at diagnosis I was drinking full sugar coke throughout the day :oops:

I've fallen off the wagon a few times and the impact on my bg is immediate. A small bag of plain crisps sent my bg sugar from 4.5 to 13.1 in a hour. I can, however, have something like a bag of crisps with a glass of wine and there is little affect - maybe a rise of 1.0 but I do get a higher fasting bg the next morning e.g. 5.3 - 5.6

GP thinks I'm a slow adult type 1 - little insulin resistance but an alarming response to sugar and refined carbohydrate. Diabetes clinic just say we'll have to 'wait and see'.

You guys on the forum have really helped me get a handle on things - thank you!

Lizzie x

Lizzie7

Hi shy girl,

Thanks - I've not tried Quorn. I think it contains eggs and a few carbs but would be useful for other low carb veggies as it contains a lot of protein. Your numbers are still good - remember that the vast majority of diabetics have A1Cs over 7%!

Crisps... I'm with you there - waiting for the day they bring out low carb crisps!

x

Spiral

Rose Elliot's low carb cookbooks have low carb "crisps"

Tofu - slice tofu very thinly and fry until crisp, sprinkle with flavouring (salt, vinegar etc) and eat within the hour otherwise they go rubbery.

Cheese - strongly flavoured hard cheese, grated. Put little piles on to a greased baking sheet and put in teh over when something else is cooking. They will go flat and start to brown slightly. Alow to cool and store in an airtight container.

I have tried both, and while they are acceptable, neither of these recipes hit the same spots as a packet of Walkers Ready Salted, unlike a handful of roasted salted macadamia nuts - my favorite low carb "junk" food :D