Week 29 anyone? Type 1? Baby weight at 1.6

aditi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello everybody!

I am in dire need of a buddy whose in week 29 and a type 1 diabetic.. Just so much easier to discuss and sort things and keep going!

Yesterday I had an appointment and the doc said my baby weight is 1.6 when it should be 1.1.. Needless to say the reason is fluctuating sugar levels.. I don't know how to deal with this! Please anyone out there gone through something like this ?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry, I'm not the person you are looking for as I am type 2 and wasn't even pre diabetic when I had my babies, very many years ago. I just want to tell you that my first born was born at 30 weeks and weighed 1.693 kgs at birth. It was officially at 30 weeks because my cycle was never very regular so that's what 'they' said it was - 30 weeks. They would not listen to me when I told them that I knew without a doubt that I was only 29 weeks because my husband was working away and we didn't see a lot of each other and it was therefore easy to pinpoint the day I got pregnant.

When I had my second baby, they said I would definitely need another caesarean, because at 30 weeks he was 'very big'. When he was born full term he was exactly average weight - 7lbs 11 oz. - no caesarean.

Now, I understand I was so lucky not to have the complications you have with blood sugars etc. I also see how worrying it must be for you, all I can say is just keep going, do the best you can with your BGs because that's all you can do - your best: one day at a time, even if you don't find the perfect buddy to help you , because you don't have too long to go now, but this is the important stage where babe could actually pile on the weight. My babes were naturally bigger than average at 29 weeks, maybe your one is too. Try not to worry (yes impossible, I know) because stress makes your BG's fluctuate even more.

I am sorry if I am upsetting you with any of this, it's not my intention, I just feel for you even though I have never been in your situation. Because I have not been in your situation I may have said things clumsily in this post which therefore cause hurt, if that's the case please throw those bits away and just be encouraged that you can get through this and everything can be OK in the end.

Ok, so hopefully this post will at least bump your thread up the list a bit so that more people can see it and then you will have more chance of finding that buddy
xx

aditi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey zand,

Thanks for that.. Like you mentioned reality is tough to digest but all said and done I can keep tighter control.. Don't have much time now so I must do all that I can.

aditi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I got no replies to this :( but here s what I have learnt.. My doc said don't look at one weight in isolation.. Do another scan after 2 weeks and check.. So hoping all goes well !

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Am also type 2 and my eldest was born at week 29. She's 9 now and all fit and well. The point is, do the best you can with food, try and take some gentle exercise, follow all advice from the doc as best you can and try to relax. Hope it all goes well! We are surprisingly resilient as human beings! Not long to go! Get plenty of rest as you're going to need it when your little one is born!

Sarahwaddy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi
I was diagnosed type 1 at 24 weeks my little girl is 11 weeks my blood sugars were always high and I was told my baby was going to be huge she was born at 36 weeks weighing 6lb 0.5oz so not massive at all she was born by c section but not through the diabetes she was watched after delivery for a few hours but she is fine.i struggled with blood sugars throughout my pregnancy I wasn't diabetic before pregnancy it came and stayed but at isn't always case
I don't know if this helps or is sort of answer you want

Picci

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I was also told my daughter was 'heavy' at one if my last appointments. I was devastated after scrupulous control throughout my pregnancy. It was in fact an error and I was told by another consultant that it is very difficult to judge the size. Thankfully my now 9 year old was born healthy at 40 weeks 7 lb 4 oz.
type 1 for 35 years since the age if 10

fig

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi i have had 2 babies at 35 weeks, my daughter was 6 lbs 13 and my son 9 lbs 13, they were born 14 months apart and my diabetes control was very similar with both, i really struggled with fluctuating blood glucose levels too, i did my best to control them but whatever i did it never seemed to work. Fingers crossed you will get a bit further with your pregnancy but the doc's know when your baby is needing to be delivered and you just have to take their advice and go along with it, i will keep watching for your baby announcement. Do you know if your expecting a boy or a girl?

aditi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey guys, thanks for your inputs.. @ fig I don't know if it's a boy or girl as it is illegal for any doc to disclose that info in india.

I had another appointment yesterday.. Baby weight is still high and it's only worrying me more ! I want to want to have a normal delivery! The doc also said that the weighing scales in + or - 800 gms! Machine errors I say!

Have any of you been advised to reduce carb and increase protein in such instances ? Please reply! Thankyou!

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
****** normal delivery! As long as mum and the baby are healthy, that's all that counts. My eldest was born at week 29! C-section! Do whatever it takes! Big hug!

aditi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello ladies ! I had a baby end of last month! Got induced but my body did not respond as expected and it ended n a c section.. Baby girl it is :) thank you for all the support on this forum ! Also baby weight was fine !