Weightloss and improved HbA1c ..

Lynn1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I am not sure if this is a fact, but has anyone else noticed that the greater the weightloss, the more improved the HbA1c?

Must say, it might be sour grapes on my part. Since being diagnosed as prediabetic last October, I have worked hard at reducing carbs and was more than a little disappointed that my reading had only reduced by 1 point from 44 to 43. I only had a matter of, maybe, half a stone to loose in weight and am now at 8st 4lbs.

Quite often read that HUGELY improved HbA1c's are accompanied by large weightloss.

Could it be a little like dieting in that weight usually falls off to begin with and then slows or plateaus?

Just a thought.

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am not sure if this is a fact, but has anyone else noticed that the greater the weightloss, the more improved the HbA1c?

Must say, it might be sour grapes on my part. Since being diagnosed as prediabetic last October, I have worked hard at reducing carbs and was more than a little disappointed that my reading had only reduced by 1 point from 44 to 43. I only had a matter of, maybe, half a stone to loose in weight and am now at 8st 4lbs.

Quite often read that HUGELY improved HbA1c's are accompanied by large weightloss.

Could it be a little like dieting in that weight usually falls off to begin with and then slows or plateaus?

Just a thought.
Yes, I'm wondering this since you mentioned it in another thread recently. Although I feel very well and appreciate my new, even flow of energy throughout the day (no switching between euphoria and fatigue), my BS seems to be settling in the 6.0-7.2 range instead of 5.0-6.5 a month ago. So I think I'll stop testing for a while and enjoy feeling well. I still avoid eating anything I think will spike me and if I do calculate my carb intake for a particular meal I'm usually surprised at how low it is.
I suspect that to reduce my BS averages significantly the next step would be to eat less and exercise more. With the seasons moving on I think that will happen naturally, with more salads and fewer hot bulky meals. Must sow early lettuce in the greenhouse, etc.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
To be

Just a thought.
honest, I think there are a couple of points to make here.

If one has a significantly high HbA1c, well outside normal ranges, it's often easier (assuming a correct diagnosis and dietary advice is given) to make quantum leaps towards desirable levels. Often weight loss accompanies that, due to an improved eating regime. So there's perhaps a chicken and egg thing going on here. I never concentrated on weight loss, as that was never my primary objective, but it happened, very easily for me.

Secondly, I firmly believe we each have a level of glycated haemoglobin which is in some way "natural" for us; a bit like we seem to each have a band of fasting bloods, or a weight range where we happily sit as we get on with our lives. Yours may be around where you are now? It may shave a little when after your new knee is done and settled, and with luck you become pain free. An overall state of relaxation and wellbeing does seem to help matters, I've observed.

I'd urge you, for now, not to worry too much about it, but to concentrate on handling your imminent op and recovery, so that you are then best placed to consider an ongoing strategy. Mat a HbA1c of 43, you don't have any urgent issues on that front anyway.

Reactions: 6 people

Lynn1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Yes, I'm wondering this since you mentioned it in another thread recently. Although I feel very well and appreciate my new, even flow of energy throughout the day (no switching between euphoria and fatigue), my BS seems to be settling in the 6.0-7.2 range instead of 5.0-6.5 a month ago. So I think I'll stop testing for a while and enjoy feeling well. I still avoid eating anything I think will spike me and if I do calculate my carb intake for a particular meal I'm usually surprised at how low it is.
I suspect that to reduce my BS averages significantly the next step would be to eat less and exercise more. With the seasons moving on I think that will happen naturally, with more salads and fewer hot bulky meals. Must sow early lettuce in the greenhouse, etc.

Like you, I am planning to take more exercise when knee replacement number two next week takes place. Dodgy knees have certainly restricted any form of exercise for the past two or three years.

For the moment, I am just focusing on getting through the op.