were going live with insulin today

ams162

Type of diabetes
Type 1
so we have had a good week trialling the pump with saline and everythings gone really well, now we are excited to get going with the insulin today im raring to get my teeth into it and start getting some fab results Dylan deserves it.

Hes astounded me with how hes adapted to wearing a pump daily, esp as he wasnt that keen on the idea to begin with but i persuaded him to try it and see, this morning we were both excited to have done the last levimir injection and rapid at lunch.

We have been lucky with no error messages this week so i hope that continues, and we even persuaded dylan to try a cannula in his stomach yesterday as he wasnt keen on trying it there when the nurse suggested it as he didnt feel he had enough 'meat' there but the ametop cream gave him confidence to try it as he would need another change today anyway so would only be for 24hrs a good time to give it a go we felt.

i have never been more proud of him i could see how frightened of the unknown he was last mon and this week hes a different boy having tried it and feels confident with it too doing the boluses himself from day one.

so lets get going now roll on 1 oclock :D :D :D

anna marie

leggott

Hi ams162
Hope all goes well - You have a very brave little boy and I hope you have good success with your pump.

Leggott.

ams162

Type of diabetes
Type 1
thanx leggot i think hes brave breaks my heart he has to go through it but he never complains bless him hope this is the start of good control finally

anna marie

leggott

Hi. I know how you feel, but hopefully the pump will help a lot. We are still going through the process of trying to get funding. It seems there are so many hurdles to get through and as if we parents don't have enough to deal with!

Happy pumping!

ams162

Type of diabetes
Type 1
i know what u mean we fought for a year for our pump and are currently using the hospitals pump until ours comes through as they wanted to get us going as fast as poss. hope u get somewhere with ur fight soon :D

anna marie

sugar2

Woohoo! best of luck! make sure you tell them that he had levimir this morning though...as it will impact what he requires for teh next 12 of so hours.

All teh very best, and well done Dylan!

ams162

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanx sugar i will do but his nurse does know as she reduced it for this morning as he has it split in two daily anyway she said give last nights as normal and his this morning was reduced to 2 as by time we get to hosp and look at what she wants to show us he wont be connected till about 3 i would think

anna marie

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
All the best Anna Marie :) This is an exciting day for sure, we haven't looked back since going onto the pump, it's been the best move ever.

Hazza

Good luck with the change, I'm sure that you and Dylan will be fine but be prepared for the odd high or low numbers. They will happen untill you get your basals and boluses just right, at least thats what we found. Once you are sorted with background insulin it gets so much easier. You may find as we did that the IC ratios change a bit and that he will need slightly less insulin to cover his meals but then he can snack mid morning or afternoon.
All the best

Harry

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hope all goes well for both you and Dylan! :)

Nigel

ams162

Type of diabetes
Type 1
all done and dusted now the work starts :D , got to do extra checks in nxt few hours incase any levemir is left in his system along with the pump working but we r really excited thanx for all the well wishes guys

anna marie