What should happen after diagnosis?

Flip74

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well, after not hearing back from the hospital for over a week, I contacted the secretary who said she'd pass the message on to my gastroenterologist, and would email me, which she did. I was told to make a referral with Public Health Wales, myself, which I can't. I replied back with a link to where it says that a referral must come from a GP/healthcare professional, as well as pasting in the paragraph where it states that.

Anyway, I had a telephone call from the gastroenterologist, this afternoon, saying she has arranged an appointment for me with the DSN at the GP's surgery on the 27th. She admitted she didn't know that I couldn't refer myself to Public Health Wales, and is going to check out what to do, but as my eyesight has deteriorated, and I've got floaters, I have been told I need to contact an optician through the Welsh Eye Care Service, as it is serious. I've not been to an optician for over 10 years, who has long since retired, and sold up. So, now's the fun of finding an optician who can help, and hopefully make a referral for eye screening with Public Health Wales.

I have also heard from the dietetics department, and will be having a telephone appointment in November. I'm dreading this. I really think I need testing for allergies/intolerances (eosinophilic oesophagitis hasn't been ruled out from biopsy results). My appetite is pretty much gone, too. I feel really burnt out from everything.

This should have been sorted out last October.
I'm no wiser as to which type of diabetes I have. I wrote a letter to the surgery requesting my test results, and was told they haven't got them. Yeah, right!

Flip74

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well, I thought I'd better post an update.
I went for the emergency eye examination, last Tuesday. I had a pretty thorough examination, and was told that I have macular degeneration, and the early signs of a cataract; both are in my right eye. I am also quite myopic, now, too.

It's got me quite down, and I can't understand why I was left. The surgery reckons they didn't know I was diabetic, even though I got last year's phlebotomy results from them earlier this year. When I asked for the results from the 12th of October, they said they haven't got them. Hmmm, right... They also deny that a doctor, whom I spoke to last year, said he'd refer me to a sleep clinic, when they did. I'd previously told a different GP that my SpO2 drops, and was told to ignore that "as you'll only worry more". Looks like the hypochondriac label has stuck!

I have another eye examination at the ophthalmology department in the hospital on Friday morning, then an appointment with the diabetic nurse at the surgery, which I'm dreading.

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good for you for keeping after them. It's the squeaking wheel that gets the oil. It's a massive nuisance that we have to do this, and I feel for you. Keep at 'em!

Reactions: Flip74