When did you deliver?

Emck

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi all,

Just trying to get an idea of the average delivery dates for us diabetics! What was everyone’s experience with this? Were you allowed to go beyond 37 weeks?

I am nearly 26 weeks now, just started growth scans and everything is good so far. Hospital is very happy with my Hba1c and TIR. Baby is right on the 50th percentile at the moment.

I know the next few months are going to be the toughest for blood sugar control, but hoping to keep everything on track!

The consultant mentioned yesterday that the “best” of their T1s can get to 38 weeks, but to expect to be induced/brought in for section around 37-38 weeks.

I don’t really know if that means that 38 weeks is as far as they’ll let me go (or if 38 weeks includes up to 38+6). I’m just trying to plan for finishing work and maybe taking some time to rest before my due date.

cdpm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Side effects from medication
I went 41 weeks then they finally induced me. After the water broke.

Reactions: Emck

Cat-May1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi both my babies were induced at 38 weeks and I was told at first appt this is how it would be. Had lots of scans and both babies seemed well and were, but the obs and gynae consultant was adamant that 38 weeks was long enough. I was not concerned with this as it made sense with any research I had read about it. Hba1c ranged from 6.3- 7( sorry old fashioned) throughout both pregnancies and I am Type 1 since 8 years old.
Good luck

• Friendly
Reactions: filly and Emck

Emck

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi both my babies were induced at 38 weeks and I was told at first appt this is how it would be. Had lots of scans and both babies seemed well and were, but the obs and gynae consultant was adamant that 38 weeks was long enough. I was not concerned with this as it made sense with any research I had read about it. Hba1c ranged from 6.3- 7( sorry old fashioned) throughout both pregnancies and I am Type 1 since 8 years old.
Good luck
Yes, they seem happy enough that 37 weeks is full term so no reason to go much further than that given the risks.

We’re you induced at 38 weeks on the dot?

Munkki

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all,

Just trying to get an idea of the average delivery dates for us diabetics! What was everyone’s experience with this? Were you allowed to go beyond 37 weeks?

I am nearly 26 weeks now, just started growth scans and everything is good so far. Hospital is very happy with my Hba1c and TIR. Baby is right on the 50th percentile at the moment.

I know the next few months are going to be the toughest for blood sugar control, but hoping to keep everything on track!

The consultant mentioned yesterday that the “best” of their T1s can get to 38 weeks, but to expect to be induced/brought in for section around 37-38 weeks.

I don’t really know if that means that 38 weeks is as far as they’ll let me go (or if 38 weeks includes up to 38+6). I’m just trying to plan for finishing work and maybe taking some time to rest before my due date.
Hi Emck,

I don't like the language. They OFFER an induction and you can either ACCEPT or DECLINE. I corrected the language of one of the consultants too.

I am type 2 and I declined the 37/38 week "offer". I went in at 40 weeks and 5 days for an induction. The research I saw was based on women with much higher BMIs, HbA1cs and other measures. My named consultant was worried, but had to accept my decision. I birthed a super healthy baby. I am seeing the same consultant now and she is much more relaxed. I am hoping for a natural onset of labour, and would only accept an induction if there is a good reason.

• Agree
Reactions: filly

Emck

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Emck,

I don't like the language. They OFFER an induction and you can either ACCEPT or DECLINE. I corrected the language of one of the consultants too.

I am type 2 and I declined the 37/38 week "offer". I went in at 40 weeks and 5 days for an induction. The research I saw was based on women with much higher BMIs, HbA1cs and other measures. My named consultant was worried, but had to accept my decision. I birthed a super healthy baby. I am seeing the same consultant now and she is much more relaxed. I am hoping for a natural onset of labour, and would only accept an induction if there is a good reason.
Thanks @Munkki

Didn’t mean to cause any offence. These are all personal choices and you’re entitled to do what feels best for you and your baby. Obviously the hospital can’t physically force you to come in and be induced if you don’t want to go down that route.

I have no experience with pregnancy other than the last 6 months, so I’m happy to follow my doctor’s recommendations here. I I’m just hoping to get the baby here in the safest way possible. Ideally I’ll go as long as I can be reassured that everything is safe and healthy.

Reactions: Munkki

Munkki

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks @Munkki

Didn’t mean to cause any offence. These are all personal choices and you’re entitled to do what feels best for you and your baby. Obviously the hospital can’t physically force you to come in and be induced if you don’t want to go down that route.

I have no experience with pregnancy other than the last 6 months, so I’m happy to follow my doctor’s recommendations here. I I’m just hoping to get the baby here in the safest way possible. Ideally I’ll go as long as I can be reassured that everything is safe and healthy.
Hey that's OK, you didn't cause any offence. I am annoyed by the language the doctors use, as if they can decide over my body and as if they "allow" me stuff or not. I am also wondering whether they talk like that to men?!

We all need to figure out what we are comfortable with in terms of birth. The early term induction would have been too soon for me. I felt my baby was well and needed more time. Inductions, especially earlier ones, have disadvantages too and risks.

Reactions: filly

Rachsime95

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So I was a very high risk pregnancy due to having type 1 and nerve damage to my kidneys so the pregnancy was planned right down to a T ( my kidneys normally leak protein so i was very closely monitored for more protein leakage than normal for pre eclamsia) had to have a prompt c section at 35 weeks on the dot after 3 bad hypos that involved hospital admission 3 weeks in a row it seemed snacking just didn't help and they couldn't find the cause for all the hypos as they could see by my sensors that I was eatting to keep my levels up ( in all honesty i think if i reduced my hours at work then id of been ok but in my head at the time i thought i was fine) Baby was born completely fine and healthy and she was very active in the womb. I think they had done a c section on me purely because 1. It was my preferred option although I had to argue my point on having a c section as I had concerns a natural delivery would put too much stress on my kidneys and I'd enviably not be here to support my partner and watch my child grow! Plus my diabetic dr reccomended a c section to me pre pregnancy as we discussed when i would be trying for a baby. One obstetrician was adamant I would need to push her out to help her "lung development" but after having steroid injections and then the c section she was absolutely fine and came out screaming like a banshee.

My hba1c throughout pregnancy remained under control.

The Dr's said if it wasn't for the hypos which concerned them that the placenta may have been starting to deteriorate (it hadn't!) then she would of been born between 36-38 weeks gestation depending on my health.

Now iv got a beautiful fiesty 5 month old that keeps me on my toes! Post partum my blood sugars are higher than what they use to be but hormones play a big part on sugar levels after birth! ❤️

Emck

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
So I was a very high risk pregnancy due to having type 1 and nerve damage to my kidneys so the pregnancy was planned right down to a T ( my kidneys normally leak protein so i was very closely monitored for more protein leakage than normal for pre eclamsia) had to have a prompt c section at 35 weeks on the dot after 3 bad hypos that involved hospital admission 3 weeks in a row it seemed snacking just didn't help and they couldn't find the cause for all the hypos as they could see by my sensors that I was eatting to keep my levels up ( in all honesty i think if i reduced my hours at work then id of been ok but in my head at the time i thought i was fine) Baby was born completely fine and healthy and she was very active in the womb. I think they had done a c section on me purely because 1. It was my preferred option although I had to argue my point on having a c section as I had concerns a natural delivery would put too much stress on my kidneys and I'd enviably not be here to support my partner and watch my child grow! Plus my diabetic dr reccomended a c section to me pre pregnancy as we discussed when i would be trying for a baby. One obstetrician was adamant I would need to push her out to help her "lung development" but after having steroid injections and then the c section she was absolutely fine and came out screaming like a banshee.

My hba1c throughout pregnancy remained under control.

The Dr's said if it wasn't for the hypos which concerned them that the placenta may have been starting to deteriorate (it hadn't!) then she would of been born between 36-38 weeks gestation depending on my health.

Now iv got a beautiful fiesty 5 month old that keeps me on my toes! Post partum my blood sugars are higher than what they use to be but hormones play a big part on sugar levels after birth! ❤️
Congratulations on your new arrival!! I’m really not looking forward to the post-birth blood sugar roller coaster, after the difficulties of trying to keep in pregnancy targets for so long!

I chatted to my obstetrician again this week and she clarified that she would like to deliver in the 37th week. As far as she’s concerned, by 37 weeks baby should be fully “cooked”, so any time beyond that is where risks can arise quite quickly.

I’m happy to go along with her judgement on this and at least now I have a sort of idea of the latest date that baby will be here!

Reactions: Munkki

Munkki

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Quick update: My blood pressure was very high, when I went to see my community midwife on my due date. She asked me to go to hospital ASAP, which I did. I had an induction soon, which wasn't straightforward planning, because they were extremely busy 9 months after Christmas and New Year. I gave birth to a healthy baby at 40 weeks and 3 days. She weighed 3460g / 7.6 lbs. I stayed a few more days, because my blood pressure stayed high, but there were no issues with my blood sugar at all.

Emck

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks to everyone for your feedback on this.

In the end, the little one decided to show up at 36+2, after my waters went at 36 weeks on the dot!

His sugars were perfect after birth. Due to midwives not believing I was in labour for two days, until they checked and found I was 9cm dilated, they had no time to establish my sliding scale for delivery. I was able to keep my pump on and my husband kept them up to date on my sugars via the dexcom app on my phone. That felt like a small win, in an otherwise very disorganised labour and delivery.

Munkki

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Congratulations!! I can imagine the chaos, but I am glad your little one is well. Well done you and well done Dad!

Ki777

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thanks to everyone for your feedback on this.

In the end, the little one decided to show up at 36+2, after my waters went at 36 weeks on the dot!

His sugars were perfect after birth. Due to midwives not believing I was in labour for two days, until they checked and found I was 9cm dilated, they had no time to establish my sliding scale for delivery. I was able to keep my pump on and my husband kept them up to date on my sugars via the dexcom app on my phone. That felt like a small win, in an otherwise very disorganised labour and delivery.
Congratulations! It seems success. Will you share your age? As I understand it is harder for diabetic mother, and the age role plays more in this scenario.