Why do I think that we are all being conned?

howsitgoing

When you pick up a copy of any Diabetic magazine it is full of marketing directed at the Diabetic, most of which you really do not need.

e.g. Diabetic UK Mug! What? a Lapel badge! hello? Cosy feet slippers! mmm, a travel kit bag? and so on cost a fortune and have very little benefits.

Am I just grumpy or have you been done?

gillyh

Dislikes
arrogant drivers/people, ill mannered people, cruelty to people and animals, condescention
Well, we have to cut down on all the money making things in life so they try and get money from us elsewhere. There's always someone dreaming up money making ideas, isn't there? :? :D

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Hiya Grumpy!!

As someone who has just done a complete career change and now publishes magazines, I can assure you that the advertising that you complain about is what pays for the magazine. No ads, no magazine - its as simple as that. If you don't like the products then don't buy them. But for every product that you don't like, there will be someone for whom it's exactly what they have been looking for.

To give you just a couple of examples, many diabetics carry medicalert id which is internationally recognised and could be a life saver, but wouldn't have done so if they hadn't seen the ad. I use a Frio bag for my injection pen when away on holiday. I had never heard of them until I saw a Frio ad in one of the magazines and thought what a good idea - I'll try that.

Carol11

Because we are!

And most of the stuff is aimed at type 2s. What about us type 1s. Try and find reliable info anywhere

Berbatov

Dislikes
To date GP's with uncaring attitudes, whom think they are diabetic consultants.
I can see where you're coming from, but I suppose they need to raise money for "research" :(

lionrampant

I suspect that like most charities, the majority will be spend on administration costs.

Besides, I've never heard of DUK talking about curative research. They tend to run away from it in fact in their publications.