Why is my daughter lying to me about her Blood test results!

Beau84

My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 8 - its been two years and I thought she had embraced her condition very well, but recently we have been through the situation whereby she is missing her tests at school, or lying to me when I call her after school about the results.

She is due to go away on a school trip for 4 days, but am very concerned, I don't feel I should let her go, am I being cruel in stopping her from going as I feel she cannot be trusted.

As a single parent, with a full time career and very little family support, I am very worried that she does not fully understand the full implications of her actions. The diabetic nurse and consultant have discussed the implications, i don't know what else I can do - Should I put her forward for therapy.

I have done EVERYTHING I possibly can.

ams162

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I feel for u hun my son was diagnosed at 4 and is now 8 its hard work and stressful sometimes, i cant help with the advice but just offering my support ur not on ur own

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Is your daughter developing teenaged behaviour a little early?
I don't have a diabetic child, but I'm a mother,grandmother and retired teacher.
I would try to avoid preventing her from doing something she enjoys. I would try a bargain with her. Explain that you will check her meter to see if she's keeping to the rules. and also that if she lets herself down, she'll have a hard job to regain your trust.
It's worth a try anyway.
Hana

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi, I haven't encountered your problems as my daughter is still young (8). But I can offer my advice about what I'd do and I'm not sure if it would work or be suitable, it's just my suggestion.

If she's not testing at school I'd make arrangements to visit the school and discuss the problem with them. Contact the SENCO at your daughter's school and explain the problem that she's not testing and have a teacher or first aider assigned to make sure that she does her test. On a Friday ask that the test meter be returned home over the weekend so that you can read the week's results. Ask that any high or low readings outside a specified range be reported to you by telephone at work so that you instantly know when her reading has been less than ideal.

Talk to your daughter and discuss what arrangements you have been put in place and explain why you have done this (because she is failing to test by herself and this could be damaging to her health). Reassure her that you have her best interests at heart and you want to help her. Allow her to go on the school trip but speak with the school and make arrangements for an adult to watch over her with regard to her testing and injecting whilst on the trip.

In my honest opinion, 10 is a young age to take on all this responsibility. As an adult taking care of my daughter's diabetes I find it draining and at times hard work. I'm sure your daughter, at her tender age, must also feel this way sometimes. If she's failing to take responsibility it might be that she's finding it a burden and who can blame her. Have a teacher there to help her through and I'm sure in time she will become more responsible. I don't think it would be fair to punish her by not allowing the school trip.

Jen&Khaleb

Dislikes
Not having enough time. Broken sleep.
The diabetic nurses that go to the camps here tell stories of young people telling fibs about their readings. This is not uncommon and they try to get them to fess up without confronting them about lying. Apparent most levels are written down at least 5mmol less than what the meter said. Even I've been known not to write down a not so desirable figure or if I've done a couple of extra tests in the day I may not keep a record of them. :oops:

smiley

hi, i have a few ideas of why she is maybe lying to you about the results. i am 11 so i am round about the same age which might mean i can think a long the same lines as her. she may not tell youu or lie about her sugars if she is high and maybe scared that you will get angry wth her and possibly dosn't understand how important it is that you know i understand how important it is tht my mum knows. If she wants to please tell her to feel free to talk to me about diabetes and readings as i am about the same age. Hope this helps.

Beau84

Re: Why is my daughter lying to me about her Blood test resu

Is there someone out there that has a 11 year old that would like to speak to another 11 year old girl/boy about how they feel about their diabetes - My daughter needs to know she is not alone.

We are going through a really tough time and I am sure she is depressed about it all, and it does not help that I am shouting at her to make her understand that rebelling against her illness is not the answer - Lying about the results, not controlling the results properly is just to name a couple incidents recently.

Please, please please - if you have a child who would be interested in talking to my daughter I would really appreciate it - become a cyber pal perhaps?