Wildy different carbs for the exact same item

bigbro69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm new to the LCHF diet and am looking for a low carb flour to make some sort of bread substitute. I know coconut is considered low-carb so I have been looking to buy some. I'm shocked at how wildly different the carb count is for different brands even though they all contain the same thing. The lowest is Sukrin at 9g per 100g, then Suma - 17.7g, Tiana - 21.7g, Biona - 46g and then the worst is Groovy food at a massive 58g. How is this possible?

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hi and welcome to the forums @bigbro69

Not sure where you get your numbers from as the only Sukrin coconut flour I can find on-line is 18% carb' and not 9%.

upload_2016-8-3_17-47-36.png

Comparing the nutrition information, it seems clear that the fat content is higher if you have lower carbs.

Attachments

• upload_2016-8-3_17-43-7.png
    upload_2016-8-3_17-43-7.png
    16.4 KB · Views: 250
  • upload_2016-8-3_17-43-29.png
    upload_2016-8-3_17-43-29.png
    16.4 KB · Views: 201

bigbro69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi and welcome to the forums @bigbro69

Not sure where you get your numbers from as the only Sukrin coconut flour I can find on-line is 18% carb' and not 9%.

View attachment 20030

Comparing the nutrition information, it seems clear that the fat content is higher if you have lower carbs.

More about Sukrin Organic Raw Coconut Flour, 400g

Coconut flour is made only from organic coconut which is dried, fat reduced and finely ground. The flour is gluten-free, particularly rich in fibre and low in carbohydrates.
Ingredients
Finely ground organic coconut
Nutritional Information
Per 100g:
Energy 1339kJ/320kcal, Fat 12g of which saturated 11g, Carbohydrate 9g of which sugars 9g, Dietary Fibre 50g, Protein 19g, Salt 0g

This is the one I saw (organic raw) I would buy it but it's out of stock. Why is the range so different though?

bigbro69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for the supplier's info. That is also significantly cheaper than the site I was looking at too :)