Will it happen to me?

lisa28j

Hi,everyone!
I am 29 and I am feeling that I am suffering from diabetes. Just because these days I am feeling quite lazy and visited a doctor and he told me have a blood checkup..But I am quite afraid,actually he told me that it is certainly going to happen because my parents(mom and dad)are suffering from diabetes. Although I am not fat and have normal physique but the doctor says that just because of hereditary it will certainly happen to me at this age. Is it true? or is it something else? How much chance is that I am not a diabetic and how it is effective when it is hereditary? Is there any programs you all know for this? Suggestions will be greatly accepted.... Thanks!

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Lisa, you don't say which type of diabetes your parents have or which type you are concerned that you have. I would wait until the results of your blood check come back before you worry too much. Only a doctor can diagnose you and the blood checks will help your doctor to determine this. You don't say what other symptoms you have apart from "feeling quite lazy".

Skid

Just because your parents have diabetes doesn't mean that you will become diabetic yourself. While it is hereditary, it is known to skip generations. My Nan had type 1, my Mum and my Uncle don't have, but me and my brother, do.