Work Christmas party

chokoholic

Hello, bit of advice needed please.....

Off to a works Christmas meal next week. It's a three course meal over the course of an hour or so. When should I inject? This always confuses me and I always get it wrong so any help greatly appreciated.

Thank you :D

PS. I'm on humalog during the day and take Lantus at bedtime.

Garthion

Hi Chokoholic,

Do you Carb count? If so it would be best to await each course and inject just prior to each one with the insulin required for that course only. (Don't do it in the toilets though, too much bacteria)
If you are on fixed doses, the best time would be just before the main course, though with a meal like that it would be very difficult for you to keep your BGs in check.
When I was on MDI I used to inject just prior to each part of a meal, but always kept some fast acting carbs just in case. Now on an insulin pump I can do it even easier.

(I have a work meal on the 19th so know how nervous you will be feeling, it'll be the first time since I got my pump.)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Depending what the starter is I'd wait for your main course to arrive and inject for the carbs in that meal, once you have finished your desert you could inject more insulin to cover the extra carbs that you've eaten.

When eating out it's better to 'err on the side of caution' and give slightly less insulin than inject too much and spoil the evening, this is especially so if it's hard to calculate the carbs in your food, once your home you could give a correction dose if you feel that it's necessary.

Enjoy the meal! :)

chokoholic

Thank you Garthion and noblehead for your great advice :) Yes I do Carb count but I feel a little less nervous now I know that I can inject between courses.....still nervous about injecting in front of a lot of people though :?
Enjoy your meal on the 19th Garthion, jealous of your pump :wink:

Pearsall85

I've got my Xmas meal next week and I've ordered the soup, roast dinner and cheesecake so I was planning on seeing how big the dinner was and then guesstimate and inject before the main course keeping in mind that the dessert will be around the 40-50 carb mark.