Xmas Drink

bigbaldnige

What with Christmas just around the corner I was wondering does anybody have any info on wether a glass or 2 of red wine is ok to drink with Christmas dinner.

Reactions: 2 people

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Red wine has the effect of lowering BGs so it's fine to have some. I drink it with lunch and supper. In fact all alcohol has this effect I think and you have to be careful how much you have.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, red wine and most spirits are fine because they have few or no carbs in them so won't spike your levels. Beers on the other hand are full of sugar so will spike you high before dropping you low. All alcohol will lower your levels for as long as it is in your system because it keeps the liver busy.

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
i,m not a wine drinker
what is stella lager like?

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
bluetit has answered in her post, w:)e posted at the same time

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
thank you again bluetit, i will steer clear of the stella
i do like pernod

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
I'm currently brewing my Christmas pudding flavoured vodka. Trying out brandy soaked cherries in choc this year, might have cherry flavoured brandy left over to drink, yum!

Patricia21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Animal crualty
If taking Metformin it says avoid alcohol,I suppose its how much Metformin you take and how much you drink?

britincali

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Alcohol seems not to affect me even in large amounts, I've tried Guinness, lager, red wine and whiskey, Guinness seems to be the worst but only raises me 2 points or so after 4-5 pints. A slice of white bread though and im skyrocketing!

K

Kat100

I will have my glass of bolly on Christmas day ...if it is good enough for ab fab ...etc ...it is all I like at Christmas a nice glass of champagne x

Reactions: 4 people

elaineadams

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes
What with Christmas just around the corner I was wondering does anybody have any info on wether a glass or 2 of red wine is ok to drink with Christmas dinner.
A glass or two is not a bottle or two. I always have a glass or two of red wine with my Christmas Dinner. I also have a couple of glasses of red wine on a Friday or Saturday night every few weeks...my treat for getting through the week. It doesn't seem to have an effect on my blood glucose levels.

mat1uk

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@ally1 if you like lager try Coors Lite 330ml bottle 5.3 grams of carbs but to be honest i would stick to red wine or vodka with a sugar free mixer

carls1976

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If taking Metformin it says avoid alcohol,I suppose its how much Metformin you take and how much you drink?
i was told by a diabetic nurse it was ok to drink in moderation on metaformin as long as you ate something after so your bs doesnt drop to low later