T1 - moving through the family

AngelaLynch

I have recently noticed a pattern with type 1 through my family, but when I was diagnosed, I was told it was NOT family related and was through a virus?

I'm just wondering if type 1 diabetes will always be passed on to family? Is this always true? And is there any possibility that type 1 can be prevented to be passed on from parents?
There is a well know correlation between the onset of type 1 and cows milk being given to children at an early age https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11206413

CarlyB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Tomatoes, snobby behaviour
Cows milk is a well know trigger for type 1, lots of studies to show it, strangely never mentioned by diabetics, no one is telling them https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11206413

Oh wow that's interesting. And also reassuring because I worry about my son but I exclusively breastfed him for 6 months so at least I know I've done what I can to try and reduce the risk of him having an onset of T1 later on

AngelaLynch

Oh wow that's interesting. And also reassuring because I worry about my son but I exclusively breastfed him for 6 months so at least I know I've done what I can to try and reduce the risk of him having an onset of T1 later on

Thats good, its not good food so keep him away from it, there is a good book on this page called 'white lies", it will help you overcome the belief that milk is some how health food. http://www.whitelies.org.uk/health-nutrition/milk-and-health

AngelaLynch

Hmm. My eldest loved cows milk when she was a toddler. Not diabetic. My youngest hardly touched the stuff. She's type 1.

In the morning I will compile a list of a few studies, but the evidence is very strong. I was bottle fed and am not diabetic, but i do not have it in my family, there are other factors including viruses. But the evidence against milk is very strong, I would not risk it. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9498633

AngelaLynch

You have to have the Type 1 genes to dvelop Type 1, however most people with the genes do not develop it. There has to be an environmental trigger. That isn't known yet. It may need a series of events for Type 1 to occur.

My consultant told me Type 1 is 20% genes, 80% environment.

If you're asking about the risk of passing it on to your children, then there is a very slightly increased risk, but that depends on a number of variables eg what age you were when you developed it. It certainly isn't a fact that your children will get it.

Lots of evidence that cows milk is the main trigger, I can not believe that diabetics are not told this
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11206413

AngelaLynch

If the mother is type 1 diabetic, there is a 1-4% chance the child will be type 1. If the father is type 1 diabetic there is a 4-8% chance the child will have type 1 diabetes. This is the same for each child you have, first child, second child, third child, the chance with each pregnancy is the same.

If you have type 1 in your family, avoid cows milk in all its forms
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11206413 other studies confirm these findings

AngelaLynch

That's correct :) You can't catch Type 1 from another person.

But some studies have suggested a virus may trigger the immune attack - just a normal virus, but one that for some reason our bodies overreact to.

I think it needs a sequence of events to trigger Type 1, and we've just been unlucky enough to have this happen to,us.

The theory is that casein, the protein in milk, is similar to islet cells, so if you are genetically susceptible and have been consuming milk, possibly, at the time of infection, thats the trigger. Not one trigger, but a combination of a few.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11206413 other studies confirm cows milk connection to diabetes

AngelaLynch

But not proven yet.

Personally, I believe there may be more than one trigger.

Yes, more than one trigger, but the connection with milk is proven, the dairy industry has funded studies to try and disprove it, just as the smoking industry tried to say smoking did not cause lung cancer. In one study the relationship between milk and type 1 was stronger than the relationship between smoking and lung cancer

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes, more than one trigger, but the connection with milk is proven, the dairy industry has funded studies to try and disprove it, just as the smoking industry tried to say smoking did not cause lung cancer. In one study the relationship between milk and type 1 was stronger than the relationship between smoking and lung cancer

Which is why I wish more was done to promote breastfeeding in the UK.

alhubb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
having read through the paper, it is interesting this is being used as definitive proof that cows milk can cause type 1. While there is a correlation, in this paper there is no evidence to suggest a reason for cows milk causing the seroconversion of the infants to become type 1. This could just as easily be explained by the loss of antibodies provided my the mother through breast milk and the child's own immune system taking over.

The key sentence in the paper is this "Also, the possible role of environmental factors, their interactions and their relations to genetic predisposition, remain to be defined". As well as "From our observations, we cannot determine whether long term breastfeeding or late exposure to cows milk protects people, or just delays it" (paraphrased)

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes I agree, and spread the word among diabetics

My consultant was very good and mentioned it when I had my first baby. I'd asked her what I could do to reduce the chances of a child of mine getting Type 1 and she said "Breastfeed". I'd already decided to breastfeed anyway as formula was never an option, but I was impressed that she said that.

AngelaLynch

My consultant was very good and mentioned it when I had my first baby. I'd asked her what I could do to reduce the chances of a child of mine getting Type 1 and she said "Breastfeed". I'd already decided to breastfeed anyway as formula was never an option, but I was impressed that she said that.

Yes I am impressed too, could do with more like her.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I think that's a bit strong. I wouldn't say it was proven. There's correlation, but there's also correlation amongst those who didn't drink large amounts of cow's milk and went on to develop T1. And similarly, very strong correlation between certain viruses as a youngster (enteroviruses being one of those) and development of T1. I'd say proof was an overly strong word.

AngelaLynch

I think that's a bit strong. I wouldn't say it was proven. There's correlation, but there's also correlation amongst those who didn't drink large amounts of cow's milk and went on to develop T1. And similarly, very strong correlation between certain viruses as a youngster (enteroviruses being one of those) and development of T1. I'd say proof was an overly strong word.

I think there is enough evidence to advices parents and for us to avoid it. It is not even talked about, I recognise it does not stand alone, other factors in combination are probably at work.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes I agree, and spread the word among diabetics
Conspiracy??!
So now you got me thinking....
Was she just misunderstood? ;)

image.jpeg

Reactions: AngelaLynch

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I think there is enough evidence to advices parents and for us to avoid it. It is not even talked about, I recognise it does not stand alone, other factors in combination are probably at work.

There have been quite a few threads here discussing possible causes of Type 1, and cow's milk has been mentioned as one of those possibilities, so I think many Type 1s are aware of this, whether they think it's a cause or not.

Personally, I believe the absence of breastmilk is probably more of a factor as that can affect the gut and the immune system.

Edited to add that A2 milk is available and I gave that to my children when they were younger.