T1 - moving through the family

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Please can we keep discussions civil. We can argue our points without stooping to rudeness.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
When you do a study, you get a large group and then you can see if people/children in that have more chance of developing diabetes depending on what it is you are studying. You might look at milk consumption, or viruses. I am not saying if I drink milk I will get type 1 diabetes, but that the evidence is that milk is a big trigger in producing it, as a % of large groups. It also seem that there are 2 sorts of casein from 2 sorts of cow, one inducing autoimmune disease and one not. Who knows, but if I had a small child and it was in my family I would want to know the risk. In fact milk is so bad for you I do not go any where near it. It is implicated in assorts of disease. One person does not make a survey. I am 1 of 7 children and none of us has diabetes and we all had milk at school to. Others were not so lucky, so spread the word. Remember it seems to be a combination of genes, viruses and dairy or other factors, but the evidence is strong against milk.

Actually my ex husband seems to have contributed to my type 1, :bag: :rolleyes:

If got no idea about the second one either... Just suggesting it's more a dodgy "hand of cards" more than just "one thing"..? ;)

There could be many factors, but I am sticking to this theory, blaming it on the ex :rolleyes:

Last edited:

alhubb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
When you do a study, you get a large group and then you can see if people/children in that have more chance of developing diabetes depending on what it is you are studying. You might look at milk consumption, or viruses. I am not saying if I drink milk I will get type 1 diabetes, but that the evidence is that milk is a big trigger in producing it, as a % of large groups. It also seem that there are 2 sorts of casein from 2 sorts of cow, one inducing autoimmune disease and one not. Who knows, but if I had a small child and it was in my family I would want to know the risk. In fact milk is so bad for you I do not go any where near it. It is implicated in assorts of disease. One person does not make a survey. I am 1 of 7 children and none of us has diabetes and we all had milk at school to. Others were not so lucky, so spread the word. Remember it seems to be a combination of genes, viruses and dairy or other factors, but the evidence is strong against milk.
And these types of studies will always be floored when you ignore any other factors apart from the one you are studying. You can't study in isolation, hence when they temper their conclusions with caveats and have to argue their rationale. I mean it's difficult to argue the case for a correlation between diabetes and cows milk when even the author's question their own conclusions

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
@AngelaLynch Believe me, people with Type 1 do think about the causes - a lot!
Definitely agree with the above.

Milk is one possible trigger, but other possible causes are wheat/gluten/gliadin, viruses, etc.

I believe the cause of Type 1 is a cascade of events and not one simple cause.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
This thread has made me a bit angry, to be honest. I blame myself enough as it is for my daughter having diabetes without someone spouting that it's because I gave her a drink of something that we've always believed is healthy. I think I'll go to bed.

It's not your fault at all @mahola We all know that. How can anyone be at fault when we don't know what causes Type 1?

NEVER blame yourself - please {{hug}}

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This thread has made me a bit angry, to be honest. I blame myself enough as it is for my daughter having diabetes without someone spouting that it's because I gave her a drink of something that we've always believed is healthy. I think I'll go to bed.

With me? It's just a boyant light sense of bemusement. Let's face it. The milk therory stuff has come about from a "non D" with no apparent D family members.. Spouting a dogmatic view which in all honesty after the first interesting post? Consistently "bulldozes" this thread...
Wouldn't last five minutes on a certain Jap import car forum I associate with... Speaking of which! I'm "changing channels" too...
Sayōnara.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
How could I be angry with you @Jaylee ? I don't even take you seriously half the time :D

I know I shouldn't blame myself but I do. It's hard not to.

I was the same when my little granddaughter was diagnosed and still am at times, we can't help it. it hurts and always asking why, why, why? :(

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@mahola Type 1 is 20% genes, 80% environment. Most people with the genes don't develop Type 1. So you didn't 'pass it on'. It was just bad luck - and surely very rare for the two of you to develop it at pretty much the same time. Not your fault in any way.

And I do think we'll know the cause soon - and I continue to hope a cure isn't too far in the future.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How could I be angry with you @Jaylee ? I don't even take you seriously half the time :D

I know I shouldn't blame myself but I do. It's hard not to.

:cool: Well you know me. I love the dark banter...

My diabetes? I just go with what I got! Never really thought about the cause until this thread.?

As I said earlier I was doing dance stuff in the hot drought summer of 76 when I was diagnosed..? I had a great stress less childhood.
I seem to remember a lot of power cuts too...

i'm not one to point the "finger of blame" at anything in particular. But these guys will... ;)

CarlyB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Tomatoes, snobby behaviour
And the saddest thing of all is, we won't get to know why. Not in this lifetime.

I seriously think that if I had known that I could possibly pass on this disease, I wouldn't have had kids. I love my girls with my whole being. They are the 2 halves of my heart beat but I often feel like I've handed my youngest a death sentence. And possibly my eldest. I didn't develop type 1 until I was 31 so there's no saying that she won't.

I think too much.

It's a shame you feel that way. I had my son before I was diagnosed. I'm still planning to have another and I in no way feel like I'll be handing my future child a death sentence. They'll have the opportunity to live life and if they do become diabetic they will still be able to live life to the full.

I can understand where you're coming from though. I am still willing to have another child and lots of diabetic women go on to have perfectly healthy children.

Please don't feel guilty for your child having type 1. So many factors are involved in its onset as this thread has covered in detail!!x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
@azure, yes very rare. 5 days between us. I guess we win the prize for the unluckiest diabetic family. :)

I had my daughter at 42 1/2, did I think about what I could possibly pass on to her? heck I did, we both did ( my ex partner) when we told my diabetes doctor (at that time, Dr Bell who was fantastic, but then moved on to research) was so pleased and positive, that it took away the huge doubt and worry, but a little is still there in the back of my mind.
Being a type 1, I will never regret having my daughter, she is the best thing in my life and my best diabetes moment ever.
I know of a family who have three out of four children with type 1 and neither parent is diabetic that, it's just an unlucky slice of life :(
You may not be feeling it, but you are doing just great and don't ever forget that :)

Reactions: noblehead

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
To put things in perspective. Has anyone seen this 80s movie...

Yeah the kid inherited "werewolf" from his dad..!

But the point is we all know what happened to Michael J Fox in real life. ;)

Just be the best with what you got!

pearceam

My consultant was very good and mentioned it when I had my first baby. I'd asked her what I could do to reduce the chances of a child of mine getting Type 1 and she said "Breastfeed". I'd already decided to breastfeed anyway as formula was never an option, but I was impressed that she said that.

I found this post interesting.....

I'm type 1 for 5 years diagnosed age 24.

My mum was diagnosed type today age 50.

My sister (touch wood) is not diabetic.

My sister was breastfed whilst I was allergic to it a started on formula and cows milk very early in life!

Reactions: azure