Cauliflower rice

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think its a brilliant substitute for rice etc, particularly when paired with something strong flavoured like a curry BUT I can rarely be bothered with the faff of making it and dont like the end result when making lots and freezing it then cooking some, so dont use it that often
Id seen this product which is preprepared and longlife https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/shop/gb/groceries/sainsburys-cauliflower-rice-200g BUT was put off by the price so hadnt tried it
Given that I needed to find something for my mum that met the need for lower carbs and met her carers need for something they can just stick in the microwave, I finally experimented with the caulirice and am quite impressed - mixed 1/2 pkt up with a chopped up baby pepper, a couple of sliced mushroom, some soy sauce, some pumpkin seeds and some sunflower seeds. Microwaved for 2 min then added an egg and microwaved for another minute - a very acceptable low carb alternative to egg fried rice for lunch
I think if I mix up something similar but without microwaving it then portion it up as an accompniment to portions of cooked stir fry / curry before freezing them ready for the carers then that should meet all the needs and give my mum more food choices of the kind she enjoys - job done ( well except for all the batch cooking, portioning, freezing etc that I’ll be doing next week, of which this will be one part)

Reactions: Rachox and Serena51

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think its a brilliant substitute for rice etc, particularly when paired with something strong flavoured like a curry BUT I can rarely be bothered with the faff of making it and dont like the end result when making lots and freezing it then cooking some, so dont use it that often
Id seen this product which is preprepared and longlife https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/shop/gb/groceries/sainsburys-cauliflower-rice-200g BUT was put off by the price so hadnt tried it
Given that I needed to find something for my mum that met the need for lower carbs and met her carers need for something they can just stick in the microwave, I finally experimented with the caulirice and am quite impressed - mixed 1/2 pkt up with a chopped up baby pepper, a couple of sliced mushroom, some soy sauce, some pumpkin seeds and some sunflower seeds. Microwaved for 2 min then added an egg and microwaved for another minute - a very acceptable low carb alternative to egg fried rice for lunch
I think if I mix up something similar but without microwaving it then portion it up as an accompniment to portions of cooked stir fry / curry before freezing them ready for the carers then that should meet all the needs and give my mum more food choices of the kind she enjoys - job done ( well except for all the batch cooking, portioning, freezing etc that I’ll be doing next week, of which this will be one part)
It’s good to hear that it’s ok. I use fresh cauliflower rice but have a couple of those in my store cupboard for emergencies!

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The only other question for me is will it withstand freezing and cooking from frozen, which itll have to do to work for the carers.
Ive now gone back into guinea pig mode and have mixed the remaining 1/2 pkt cauli rice with the other ingredients (uncooked) bar the egg and frozen it - the plan is to try it for tea, adding an egg part way through
If you never hear from me again, then take it that it didnt freeze well and Ive been poisoned!

Last edited:

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
3062064F-8632-4196-8B1C-6B49C432E0C4.png
Oh I’ve just remembered one of the ones in my cupboard is the Mediterranean version. 5.8g of carbs for half a packet instead of 3g for the plain one. Must get around to trying them!

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Boo1979
Have you seen this thread - may make your life a little easier - I haven't tried the cauliflower one yet but the kale one is lovely and very tasty and at £2 for 4 individual portions it's a lot cheaper than the ambient one

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/iceland-rice-alternatives.128144/#post-1618171
Thanks Ill look into those for myself although it would be more difficult in relation to sorting my mums meals out - She lives in a small village and there isnt an Iceland anyehere near her which means Im limited to the online retailers that can fill her full shop with home delivery so just Ocado, Sainsburys and Tesco

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
View attachment 24538 Oh I’ve just remembered one of the ones in my cupboard is the Mediterranean version. 5.8g of carbs for half a packet instead of 3g for the plain one. Must get around to trying them!
Let us know how they turn out - I havnt ordered the meditteranean one yet but thought they look interesting. There is also a Piau rice type one Ive seen but only on Amazon but its more expensive
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cauli-Rice-Indian-Pilau-Flavour/dp/B01M0QHEJE?th=1. ive ordered a couple of pkts to see if its worth it for what I need it for

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ooo let me know what the Pilau one is like please and the carb count, I can’t find it
I Found this which gives carb count of 6.7 for 1/2 pkt
Also found this which seems to imply their range is changing when you follow the link
https://www.caulirice.com/
if the Pilau and meditteranean ones work out well, Ill be stocking up given theyre supposed to have a 12 month shelf life

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I Found this which gives carb count of 6.7 for 1/2 pkt
Also found this which seems to imply their range is changing when you follow the link
https://www.caulirice.com/
if the Pilau and meditteranean ones work out well, Ill be stocking up given theyre supposed to have a 12 month shelf life
Thanks for the carb info! I’ve signed up for updates on their new Fullgreen products.

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well Im happy to report the freezing experiment was a success
I paired it with a cod loin topped with Furikake ( Japenese sesame seed seasoning and fried in butter - very acceptable it was too.
Came out at 360 cals ( lot of butter used in panfrying) and 8g carbs for the lot

Last edited:
Reactions: Rachox

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Interesting. I tried that exact brand and hated it - so much so that I had to take it off my plate. Found it really synthetic. Put me right off cauliflower rice - have never attempted it again. Courgetti, on the other hand, I adore.

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Interesting. I on the other hand find courgetti slimey unless self prepared and used immediatel, particulaly if they are shop bought or if they've been anywhere near a freezer

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Interesting. I on the other hand find courgetti slimey unless self prepared and used immediatel, particulaly if they are shop bought or if they've been anywhere near a freezer

Totally agree about self preparation of courgetti. I found shop bought stuff to be watery. Bought a spiralizer and always prepare fresh. Also don’t cook it - heat the dish it is going in and warm the courgetti that way. Better texture all round.

Reactions: bulkbiker

Fruitella

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
@Boo1979
Have you seen this thread - may make your life a little easier - I haven't tried the cauliflower one yet but the kale one is lovely and very tasty and at £2 for 4 individual portions it's a lot cheaper than the ambient one

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/iceland-rice-alternatives.128144/#post-1618171
Agree with this. I have used several of the packs now. Favourite is to make a sort of stir fry with it after microwaving and add flaked salmon and a few drops of lemon flavoured olive oil.