1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Iceland rice alternatives

Discussion in 'Food, Nutrition and Recipes' started by catapillar, Oct 21, 2017.

1. catapillar

catapillar Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I'm extraordinarily lazy, so I normally buy cauliflower or broccoli rice from the pre prepared veg bit in Sainsbury's:
    (Sainsbury's have got a carb alternative option under veg on their online shop, it seems to be mainly butternut squash cut in different shapes though...)

But, as well as being lazy, I'm cheap! So I was pretty happy to see today that Iceland have started doing 4 steam bags of cauliflower rice for £2 or green veg rice made of broccoli, courgette, spinach, kale & seaweed (which sounds nice):
    Will have to see how it compares to the broccoli rice, which I am a big fan of. But the Iceland green veg rice is less carbs (3g) than the Sainsbury's broccoli rice (5.3g) and I don't often eat kale or seaweed so a good option to throw a bit more veg variety in.

Just thought I'd share the find in case anyone else is as lazy as I am :)

• Like Like x 11
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Informative Informative x 3
  2. lovinglife

lovinglife Type 2 · Well-Known Member

These would be great to have in the freezer as back up or a quick lunch or even breakfast - thanks for the heads up :)

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. Robbieswan

Robbieswan Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Added to my shopping list tomorrow. Thank you.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. TIANDB

TIANDB Don't have diabetes · Well-Known Member

I had the iceland coli rice and just used the last bag today in my opinion it is quite bitter unless added as I have done to a well spiced /Flavoured stir fry or curry. My today main meal is for two days Stir fried 8 x 1/4 mushrooms, Cellery 2 x stalks ,
    8 x 1/4 radishes, 1 chopped bell pepper and garlic fried in butter and coco oil + herbed up well ! I added an iceland low carb bhuna curry and a sachet of coli rice Yummy Low carb and cheap . I will be looking for that multi greens rice next time. Thanks for the heads up..

• Like Like x 2
  5. Guzzler

Guzzler Type 2 · Master

Always good to find new alternatives. Thanks for the heads up.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. db89

db89 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Definitely going to find an Iceland shop and try the multi green bags (not a cauliflower fan but I too have enjoyed the broccoli rice when I've seen it) as an alternative to the Birds Eye rice bags I have when I'm in a 'can't be faffed' mood at dinner. Thanks for the heads up.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. Alexandra100

Alexandra100 Prefer not to say · Well-Known Member

Thanks very much, the green veg. rice sounds perfect as I know I should be eating kale but can't face the prickles.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Guru

Those look good. Thank you. :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. Alexandra100

Thanks very much for the green rice suggestion. The last time I bought frozen spinach I had to give it away as I couldn't bear the sliminess, and kale gradually turned to compost in my fridge because I couldn't hack the prickles. So I was delighted to find that the green rice from Iceland is pleasantly crunchy when cooked in the bag as they suggest. At 3 carbs per portion, zero washing up and healthy too, a great resource.

10. Prem51

Prem51 Type 2 · Expert

I buy frozen kale from Waitrose. It comes in those green pellets. I've never found them to be 'prickly'.
    But I like the sound of these Iceland options, and will get some when I get back.
    Thanks @catapillar!

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Alexandra100

But if not prickly then maybe slimy?

12. ringi

ringi Type 2 · Well-Known Member

With frozen kale, I defost them, and then press out as much of the water as I can before stry frying them in butter.

• Useful Useful x 1
  13. Alexandra100

The butter sounds nice, but are the frozen kale pellets still essentially slimy?

14. ringi

ringi Type 2 · Well-Known Member

The key is removing as much water as possible form them, then make them into a type of mash.

15. Alexandra100

Ah yes, you have brought back happy memories of the corned beef hash of my childhood.

16. Alexandra100

I see Iceland also sells frozen kale.

• Useful Useful x 1
  17. Prem51

Prem51 Type 2 · Expert

I steam them over boiling water until they are thawed and hot only 2-3 minutes, they don't get as soggy as if you put them in boiling water.

18. mytype1.life

mytype1.life Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi All. Just to add Aldi have starting doing frozen cauliflower rice with parsley.
    3.5g of carbs per bag.
    I had a portion with my dinner last night (stuffed mushroom) and saw no rise in my BS

• Like Like x 2
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook