Fed Up

Marcus1234

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Last week I recieved a call from the doctors receptionist to tell me my blood results are back and I have type 2 diabetes. and raised cholesterol 7.5 and raised liver AST ASL. I asked the receptionist if the doctor wants to discuss my results and she said no.I questioned this and was told if I want to see the doctor I can.
Today I visited the doctor to discuss my results and have been told that everything is good apart from my type 2 diagnosis and that I also have familial hypercholesterolemia which is a genetic condition. This means I am at a greater risk of heart disease and my risk of heart attack is the same as a 70 year old.
The Doctor wants me to take 40mg astrovastatin daily, however the last time I took these I suffered terribly with side effects, the doctor said even so, I have to take them.
I struggle daily with health anxiety and in the space of 2 weeks I have been diagnosed with the above conditions and feel worse than I did before my diagnosis.
I'm suffering daily with left flank and rib pain, lightheadedness, stomach ache and nauseous. I think this may be due to metformin, if I start statins I believe my symptoms will escalate further because the last time I was taking statins I did not have any energy at all and was aching all over my body.
Sorry for the rant and moaning but I thought I had achieved something by going to my doctor's and getting a proper diagnosis but now I feel like everything is falling down around me.

Thank you

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Last week I recieved a call from the doctors receptionist to tell me my blood results are back and I have type 2 diabetes. and raised cholesterol 7.5 and raised liver AST ASL. I asked the receptionist if the doctor wants to discuss my results and she said no.I questioned this and was told if I want to see the doctor I can.
Today I visited the doctor to discuss my results and have been told that everything is good apart from my type 2 diagnosis and that I also have familial hypercholesterolemia which is a genetic condition. This means I am at a greater risk of heart disease and my risk of heart attack is the same as a 70 year old.
The Doctor wants me to take 40mg astrovastatin daily, however the last time I took these I suffered terribly with side effects, the doctor said even so, I have to take them.
I struggle daily with health anxiety and in the space of 2 weeks I have been diagnosed with the above conditions and feel worse than I did before my diagnosis.
I'm suffering daily with left flank and rib pain, lightheadedness, stomach ache and nauseous. I think this may be due to metformin, if I start statins I believe my symptoms will escalate further because the last time I was taking statins I did not have any energy at all and was aching all over my body.
Sorry for the rant and moaning but I thought I had achieved something by going to my doctor's and getting a proper diagnosis but now I feel like everything is falling down around me.

Thank you
Easy to say, but try not to panic. I'm the world's worst. This is the standard of 'care' many of us experience. Receptionist should not be telling you your diagnosis. Appalling. Why don't you wait to see how things settle down with the Metformin before you worry about the statin? If you've lost any weight recently your cholesterol may be affected. What was your previous reading?

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was prescribed statins by my GP and I threw them straight to the bin.

Cholesterol can be naturally reduced by avoiding red meat, processed foods, saturated fats, prawns and crabs for now.

I also suggest drink Alpro unsweetened soya milk diluted with still water!

Reactions: Marcus1234

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Perhaps you could ring back and ask for a print out of your blood test results. You are entitled to these. You will be able to see at a glance what the test results show, and whether they are as bad as you think they are. You need to know what all the numbers are. The total cholesterol of 7.5 doesn't mean very much without knowing the full breakdown of what makes up the total. You also need to know the levels of your liver function test. All these will be on the print out. Once you have these you will be in a much better position to decide on statins or any other medications.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry to hear about your experiences. I appreciate that you must be feeling very worried!

Have you been tested for Familial Hypercholesterolemia? There is an actual test for it, and without that test being done, then your doc is just looking at a somewhat raised cholesterol level and making a diagnosis on spec. Have a good google on the subject, and you will see what I mean. We have had threads on the subject here on the forum that you may also find an interesting read.

Re the statin, if you decide that taking a statin is the right way to go (and that is YOUR choice, not your doctor's), then there are a lot of different statins out there, with varying effects. You may be able to find one that doesn't cause the side effects you got from your old statin. I would be pretty unimpressed if my doc insisted on prescribing something without exploring alternatives. Also, you may find that a smaller dose would sort your cholesterol without so many side effects. If he isn't willing to discuss your concerns, then find another doc. Seriously. They aren't there to steam roller you. They are there to help you back to health with your knowledge, understanding and consent.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

You don’t “have to take them” it’s your body, your health! My GP has asked me a couple of times to take Statins but I have declined, he realises I have considered the issue seriously and acknowledges it’s ultimately my choice.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was prescribed statins by my GP and I threw them straight to the bin.

Cholesterol can be naturally reduced by avoiding red meat, processed foods, saturated fats, prawns and crabs for now.

I also suggest drink Alpro unsweetened soya milk diluted with still water!

Before handing this kind of advice out to people, please check your facts.

Firstly, dietary cholesterol contributes 15% or less to the total cholesterol measured in blood tests.
We can eliminate dietary cholesterol completely, and our cholesterol levels can still score high on a test.
On the other hand, it has been known since the 1960s that carbohydrate and alcohol intake impact cholesterol results significantly, and reducing them can reduce cholesterol.
Unfortunately, popular opinion doesn't bother with little details like facts.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/it-aint-the-fat-people#section1

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1479303/

https://www.docsopinion.com/2016/08/01/carbohydrate-fat-and-lipids/

@Marcus1234
Please do not just throw your statins in the bin and ignore medical advice.
You will find that people on the forum like to do their own research, and make their own decisions, and often speak from personal experience, as NewTD2 has done, but no one here should be advising you to ignore your doctor, and stop taking prescription medication.

If you decide not to take your statins, whether that is from your own reading, or by consulting another doctor, or discussing it in more depth with your current doctor, then it is important to tell your doctor your decision and have it recorded on your medical records. The reason for this is that doctors are supposed to take your drug regime into account when prescribing (there may in contraindications between meds), so it is important that your medical records are both accurate and current.

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Firstly, dietary cholesterol contributes 15% or less to the total cholesterol measured in blood tests.
We can eliminate dietary cholesterol completely, and our cholesterol levels can still score high on a test.
On the other hand, it has been known since the 1960s that carbohydrate and alcohol intake impact cholesterol results significantly, and reducing them can reduce cholesterol.

@Marcus1234
You will find that people on the forum like to do their own research, and make their own decisions, and often speak from personal experience, as NewTD2 has done, but no one here should be advising you to ignore your doctor, and stop taking prescription medication.

If you decide not to take your statins, whether that is from your own reading, or by consulting another doctor, or discussing it in more depth with your current doctor, then it is important to tell your doctor your decision and have it recorded on your medical records. The reason for this is that doctors are supposed to take your drug regime into account when prescribing (there may in contraindications between meds), so it is important that your medical records are both accurate and current.

Excuse me, I’m not giving out “advice” to anyone.

I’m talking about “my personal experience” so please respect that !!!

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

@Marcus1234

Have you seen this documentary about statins?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@NewTD2

Please reread post. In it I clearly stated that you were speaking from personal experience when giving up statins.
My concern (also clearly stated) was that stopping mediciation should always be done with the knowledge of the doctor prescribing the med.

MrsGruffy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I know how you feel Marcus. You feel as if you're just starting to get somewhere close to the finish line, and they go and move it. It's hard not to worry about that cholesterol business. I've been given the same news, and I'm going back to the doctor, even though I feel like I'm being wasteful of the resources. I need to understand the whole picture so I can find out what's going to be best for me. I have also been given a new 2 in 1 statin and I've just been sitting here looking at the packet wondering if I should take it and wondering what the real risk is if I don't. I don't really fancy being old and sick for a lengthy period, but I do have a responsibility right now as a carer, and I can't let her down by getting too sick to cope with it all. I've decided to leave it for a couple of weeks, after I get the next lot of blood tests back, and then reconsider - as I'll have a better picture of everything overall. All I know is knowledge is power, so try to learn as much as you can - so you can make informed decisions. Nobody can force you to do anything, but I understand the conflict and fear around the statins, especially when they don't agree with you. They can make your life a misery. Hang in there, and don't give up!

MrsGruffy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Keep in mind that loads of 70 year olds don't have heart attacks! On my report, it's written that I have a 1:5 risk of premature cardiovascular disease. Well, unless I'm wrong, 80 out of every 100 people with this family hypercholesterol business don't have premature cardiovascular disease. A 20% higher chance. I think I'd still be investing in the purchase of green bananas if I still ate them!

Marcus1234

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for your replies.
The last time I visited my doctor was 2.5 years ago due to my health anxiety, I received letters asking me to go and have blood test and a check ups but I chose to ignore them. Without the help and support from this forum I would not have gone to the doctors this time. However I did and felt proud of myself for making this step.
I rang the surgery regarding my blood results and the receptionist told me my cholesterol 2.5 years ago was 4.5, it is now 7.5 which means I have this condition regarding heart disease, she also told me my liver count was very high and asked if I drank alcohol, I do not drink and she said it will be because of your fatty liver then.
Jumping forward to my appointment with them doctor, he went through all my blood test they had done. The only 3 he discussed with me was cholesterol, diabetes, blood pressure. I asked him if everything else was ok and he said yes, you have had a full MOT. The doctor then checked the pulse in my legs and checked blood pressure on each arm, my left arm pressure was higher than the right arm.
He then told me that because my cholesterol had reached 7.5 it is now genetic and I have got this gene from either my mother or father. The doctor knew my father and was aware that my dad had type 2, heart disease, high blood pressure and kidney disease and believes the gene came from him.
The doctor then prescribed me astrovastatin 40mg to be taken at night, he also asked me when I take my metformin, when I said in the morning he told me to change and take it in the evening with my main meal instead. I told my doctor that I have read a lot about statins and the bad they can do and how I have suffered in the past with them, but he was adamant that I take them. Without him saying it, he was basically saying take them or you may suffer an heart attack.
I have never been given my full details of my blood count and how it has reached 7.5, I am aware my bad cholesterol is higher than the good cholesterol. I haven't had any other test to determine that I have this heart disease condition but from reading the gene is with you from birth so I thought it would have been picked up many years ago.
Sorry it's been a long post.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for your replies.
The last time I visited my doctor was 2.5 years ago due to my health anxiety.
Sorry it's been a long post.
For someone with (presumably) no medical training, your receptionist seems quite the expert. @Bluetit1802 suggested you get a print out of your results. Normally, this would reassure me, but I'm wondering if worrying about it might add to your anxiety. Do you know what your HbA1c was, and did your doctor suggest a re-test in 3 months?

Reactions: Guzzler

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Marcus, it may be worth trying to bring it down with diet and exercise and so on although you may already do that, (although if it is FH, I'm not sure you can). As to that risk assessment of a '70 year old' I think you will find all diabetics fall into that category! It takes NO notice whether you are a fit, active, healthy eater, fat or thin or whether you are able to keep your glucose levels under control. It's a hard one to decide, are you able to find out the exact cholesterol numbers? My cholesterol is high too but the ratios are excellent. I know for a fact there is no further 'lifestyle' choice I can improve upon but my Dr ruled out FH as there was nothing to suggest it and at least did not assume it based on the total cholesterol numbers. x

Mal37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Social situations

Thank you
Hi Marcus. I felt that I just HAD to add my pennyworth here. My cholesterol was 7.3 at diagnosis so not much different to yours.
At my last appointment with the DH for review it was 5.8 and this was because my very nice GP could see I wasn't going to budge when she tried a few times to get me on statins ... so she then suggested Plant Sterols (from health food shops) I take one 800mg tablet after each meal and they DO work every bit as well as the statins but without the side effects. Please do give those a try if you dislike statins.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @Marcus1234,
I have never heard of a doctor re-prescribing the same statins that causes muscle aches ! Muscle aches are listed as a major side-effect of statins and cessation of the drug is recommended. A drug info leaflet with the medication will say so.
From my own experience I know that there are other medications, one of them a newer statin BUT it is usual (certainly in Australia) for doctors to advise a weight-loss diet FIRST and, only if that is done and fails, to look at medications.
And as you acquaint yourself with T2D through your reading (such as on this website) and having demanded a diabetes clinic referral from your 'statin-prescribing' doctor, then from that referral you will see the aims of treatment for T2D include weight loss diet.
Also my understanding is that at diagnosis of T2D doctors check blood pressure, circulation in your feet, test for numbness in your feet and look at the back of your eye with a bright light.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @Marcus1234,
I have never heard of a doctor re-prescribing the same statins that causes muscle aches ! Muscle aches are listed as a major side-effect of statins and cessation of the drug is recommended. A drug info leaflet with the medication will say so.
From my own experience I know that there are other medications, one of them a newer statin BUT it is usual (certainly in Australia) for doctors to advise a weight-loss diet FIRST and, only if that is done and fails, to look at medications.
And as you acquaint yourself with T2D through your reading (such as on this website) and having demanded a diabetes clinic referral from your 'statin-prescribing' doctor, then from that referral you will see the aims of treatment for T2D include weight loss diet.
Also my understanding is that at diagnosis of T2D doctors check blood pressure, circulation in your feet, test for numbness in your feet and look at the back of your eye with a bright light.
Opps also they check your weight !! I hope this bare minimum has been done ! Best Wishes !!

Marcus1234

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes my doctor has ordered another blood test in 3 months for my diabetes and a cholesterol test in 6 months. I'm definitely interested in trying plant sterols to see if they help me. I really do not want to try the statins again.
I feel embarrassed saying, but with my health anxiety I see the worst in everything health wise, soon as I read the pancreas produces insulin, I start to convince myself I may have pancreatic cancer and start getting symptoms, when I was made aware about my cholesterol I'm convincing myself Im heading for an heart attack and start with symptoms. My life over the last 2 weeks have been like a living hell. Normal people just get on with it, unfortunately I can't, and it's not without trying either. I'm still waiting on an appointment to see a CBT specialist who can help me over come this anxiety. When I'm not sleeping, 90% of my thoughts are taken up with "what ifs"
I can honestly say, I cannot remember the last time I felt happy. My wife's birthday was recently and she said it was one of the best she has had. Yet it is all a front on my side because this nasty horrible health anxiety is always there.
We go on holiday next week, everyone is happy looking forward to it, me again is in termoil in my head thinking "what if I get poorly" "what if something is seriously wrong with me" it goes on and on and never let's up.
This forum as been a great support and opened many doors for me to start looking into other ways of dealing with health issues.
I do think a more natural approach is better than prescription meds, Im due to see the nurse tomorrow evening so I will ask her if she can give me a print out of blood test results.
Thanks again for all your replies.