What’s happened to the forum?

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks! This seems to have been resolved - UI.X large font.View attachment 56285
Yes it has
Woohoo! Thanks techie people.

I now see others posts in smallish but readable font, my replies are large font when I type them, and the fix to see the type in the side panel makes such a difference as does the full set of "likes"

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Is everyone suddenly getting advertisements on their screens? Large, moving advertisements, apparently based on google search history but possibly also on the theme of the forum?
Right now I'm having one on sailing (see screenshot below), which obviously fits with my daily life, but I've also had a couple on sports supplements and vitamins and such, and I'm very sure I've never googled on things like that.

1662554028501.png

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Is everyone suddenly getting advertisements on their screens? Large, moving advertisements, apparently based on google search history but possibly also on the theme of the forum?
Right now I'm having one on sailing (see screenshot below), which obviously fits with my daily life, but I've also had a couple on sports supplements and vitamins and such, and I'm very sure I've never googled on things like that.

View attachment 56287
Glad you posted that. Just got one and thought I must have clicked something.

That’s not appropriate! We should be given options to express preferences around advertising.

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Have now got horoscopes under the last poster!! (before the info on a black background which lists last posts) !!!!!

• Hug
Reactions: Antje77

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Before anyone comments about this being a free site so we shouldn't complain, many of us give lots of our time freely to help, support and inform. The forum wouldn't work without us. It's a reciprocal symbiotic relationship.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Its quite funny seeing what they think I need, so far I've had:
Dog bed (I don't have a dog)
Medical student text books (I'm happily retired and never was a doctor)
Oven cleaner (the less said the better, and how did they know?)
Shoes priced in dollars
...when all I really want is @Antje77 Sailing boat

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
This sounds like a brilliant idea!

We do have the old instructional videos (https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/forum-beginners-video-guides.51729/) but they are pretty much outdated after the last forum update.
Making new videos would be very hard, short term, but a sticky thread in Greetings and Introductions outlining the way the forum works should be doable and very useful! :)

Making this thread with a group of people who are both very familiar with the forum and have experience with this kind of stuff makes a lot of sense, and we could do is a lot better and quicker using the knowledge and experience of people who are good at this, and not just trying to do it within the mod team.

@jjraak , would you be willing to set up a working thread in General Chat where everyone who wants to can help building a 'How to forum manual'?
I'd be happy to be part of the group (even though I fear I'm a tad too disorganised to write such a manual myself, I'm sure I can be of help), and I think @KennyA would be very good at this.
I am happy to have a go at this but I have to confess I'm struggling with the forum changes at the minute. First thoughts are that it's no use having a 50 page manual, or putting it all on videos. You can't use videos as a quick reference and the only way a lenghty manual could function is by using links within the document. That's a big task and dosn't answer the problem of not knowing what you're looking for. I don't think in any case that people seem to be asking for a complete guide to the forum. Two A4 pages, covering getting started, how to do the most obvious things, where to find additional info, links to rules etc. Then build it up gradually if needed.

Main consideration is that I will be wandering around a bit for the next three weeks so realistically nothing much will get done (by me anyway) until October.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I am happy to have a go at this but I have to confess I'm struggling with the forum changes at the minute. First thoughts are that it's no use having a 50 page manual, or putting it all on videos. You can't use videos as a quick reference and the only way a lenghty manual could function is by using links within the document. That's a big task and dosn't answer the problem of not knowing what you're looking for. I don't think in any case that people seem to be asking for a complete guide to the forum. Two A4 pages, covering getting started, how to do the most obvious things, where to find additional info, links to rules etc. Then build it up gradually if needed.

Main consideration is that I will be wandering around a bit for the next three weeks so realistically nothing much will get done (by me anyway) until October.
I'll take this to the thread on the manual, as it isn't related to the forum changes. https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/developing-a-forum-how-to.190847/

Carson_DCUK

Staff Member
Administrator
I've only had ads on the bottom of the page, granted I have not been on that much since the update. Will log in on chrome and see if there is a difference.

Reactions: jjraak

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oooooh. My ads are for glasses. This morning I had my eye test and chose some new glasses.

Ooooer. How did they know?
(Only at the very bottom of the screen. Win 10 Pro on Google Chrome.)

Reactions: Goonergal