Staggered and saddened by this information!

MissMuffett

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’ve just visited the ’Diabetes UK’ website and angry with the information they’re giving out under the heading ‘alternatives meals for type 2 diabetics. Here’s a screenshot…
IMG_2230.jpeg

DEBBIESCOTT

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’ve just visited the ’Diabetes UK’ website and angry with the information they’re giving out under the heading ‘alternatives meals for type 2 diabetics. Here’s a screenshot…
View attachment 64339
Salmon or tuna salad for lunch sounds ok, as for the rest of it no, not a chance,
Surely everybody eats an whole avocado not 2 slices, or is it just me
No wonder they say it’s a progressive disease

MissMuffett

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’m with you on the 2 slices of avocado :D :joyful: I know my feelings run in the extremes (adhd) but I was shouting at the screen thinking people are going to trust this website for information. I only visited it as someone had posted on here about a published article that I wanted to investigate! Won’t go there again! (Sorry too many exclamation marks :happy:)

Reactions: jessj

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
This is my personal view. Diabetes UK is the "official" diabetes charity in the UK. They support government action and endorse the current approved government/NHS "healthy eating" recommendations - that is, the carb-heavy "Eatwell Plate". They won't change unless and until government recommendations change.

A couple of years back I had a similar rant when when Diabetes UK was promoting, to T2 diabetics, ice cream made with sugar. A "serving" was described as 11 grams - about a teaspoon.

These days I would be much more surprised if Diabetes UK did not post this sort of thing.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This is my personal view. Diabetes UK is the "official" diabetes charity in the UK. They support government action and endorse the current approved government/NHS "healthy eating" recommendations - that is, the carb-heavy "Eatwell Plate". They won't change unless and until government recommendations change.

A couple of years back I had a similar rant when when Diabetes UK was promoting, to T2 diabetics, ice cream made with sugar. A "serving" was described as 11 grams - about a teaspoon.

These days I would be much more surprised if Diabetes UK did not post this sort of thing.
It seems to tie into the British heart foundation recommendation, too?

Dancing Badger

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As a relative newbie, I'm confused by the relationship between this site and the other one - more so since at first glance they appear very similar. If someone could explain the history of, and difference between, these two sites, please?

Ashybang

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The writers of that advertisement are incredibly stupid.
I'm a newcomer to this, but have already discovered to my horror, that I cannot eat breakfast cereal, or bread, without Blood Sugar levels rising to unsafe levels.
Can eat unsweetened yoghurt, but without the fruit that the writer wants to poison us with.......
So..... breakfast idea is useless...
On to Lunch.
Suggestion is a sandwich and again Bread would spike me,
Alternative is Pasta.
Are they off their freekin rockers?
Who wrote this *****?
They trying to give us all hypers and all that goes with it.
Soup with yet more bread?
They can shove it up their A**.
Bit of fish at the last, is only decent recommendation.

It needs removing from wherever it's advertised, before it causes untold damage.....

MissMuffett

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As a relative newbie, I'm confused by the relationship between this site and the other one - more so since at first glance they appear very similar. If someone could explain the history of, and difference between, these two sites, please?
Read @KennyA post above, that sums it up nicely

Reactions: Ashybang

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Fortunately, the Diabetes UK forum (their equivalent to here) is much less carb happy. Though it was much more so when I joined in November 2019.
In fact several of us from here have worked away to get Low Carb accepted in their forum - they used to only accept Newcastle Diet.

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Diabetes UK emerged (in the 1960s I think, but I might be wrong) out of the British Diabetic Association which was founded by HG Wells in 1934. It's a company limited by guarantee and I think it was the first such diabetes charity in the UK. It has a yearly income and spend of around £40M, including about £0.6m in government grants. There's more detail on the Diabetes UK website and the Charity Commission's website.

DCUK is not a registered charity but is a private organisation (about 20 years old?) operated by DDM Health Ltd. The focus is on using digital media - including this forum - to educate and inform people about diabetes. Because DCUK isn't dependent on co-operating with whatever the official government line is, there is freedom to discuss, develop and promote methods of dealing with diabetes that don't fit the official line - such as low carb.

When I was diagnosed I found the Diabetes UK forum and website to be positively hostile to the idea that reducing carbs and abandoning Eatwell could possibly help my T2. I found DCUK to be much more supportive.

There is now a wealth of information about the effectiveness of low-carb for T2 (and for some T1s). At some point Diabetes UK and officialdom in general will have to fully recognise that - I suspect it won't happen until some other country goes first.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No relationship, just the same topic. One's an organisation funded by the government. This place, however, is owned by a business. The forum we're on now, if you go to the home page, they'll also offer a low carb program, and there's a shop with all sorts of things a diabetic of any kind might find useful. Shopping though, is no prerequisite to join into the conversation here, and while the bulk of us in the T2 sections are low carbers, we're not stuck on a certain dogma. (Just very enthusiastic about low carb diets in general, haha). The owners don't meddle much in what goes on here, and the moderators are elected members. Also, their forum is blue, we're red. ;)

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
View attachment 64339
Ah, the Dutch one'd do the same thing in their magazine, and the opposing page would be a massive request to put the organisation in your will. How to get donations quickly, haha!

Dancing Badger

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Am I right in thinking this site ("co.uk" opposed to "Diabetes.Org") is a spin-off of Diabetes UK)? I'd really like to know the history of the two sites.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Scrap that, please; I've just read the responses above. Apologies.
@Dancing Badger you might find this page from the DCUK website (this forums website) useful in explaining how it started and why

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term "big boned" lol repeatedly told this growing up!
Salmon or tuna salad for lunch sounds ok, as for the rest of it no, not a chance,
Surely everybody eats an whole avocado not 2 slices, or is it just me
No wonder they say it’s a progressive disease
I have eaten more than 1 avocado in one sitting especially post work out day, I seem to be ravenous in the morning and cannot cope with just the one avocado let alone 2 slices :nailbiting:

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
When I was misdiagnosed with prediabetes, then T2, this was the dietary recommendations that I followed for over a decade. Because of this, my weight ballooned, my health deteriorated, and I was eating very little in portion size but mostly carbs, such as porridge, water. No milk, no sugar. Baked potato for lunch, and protein with probably new spuds and veg!
What any dietician, doctor would call, a healthy diet!
But this healthy diet was literally killing me. Not one of long list of doctors, one endo, numerous dieticians, dsns. Had a clue!

It is scandalous, mainly because, the dysregulation of T2, means that the majority have an intolerance to carbs and sugars. Hence the higher levels of spikes!
If like me, I have lactose intolerance since young and told not to have dairy!
It is so illogical to suggest to someone with an intolerance, to recommend you should eat it!
Madness!

filly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Spicy food which is too hot. Nasty people who have no idea on your life journey but feel the need to comment and be cruel.

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Diabetes UK emerged (in the 1960s I think, but I might be wrong) out of the British Diabetic Association which was founded by HG Wells in 1934. It's a company limited by guarantee and I think it was the first such diabetes charity in the UK. It has a yearly income and spend of around £40M, including about £0.6m in government grants. There's more detail on the Diabetes UK website and the Charity Commission's website.

DCUK is not a registered charity but is a private organisation (about 20 years old?) operated by DDM Health Ltd. The focus is on using digital media - including this forum - to educate and inform people about diabetes. Because DCUK isn't dependent on co-operating with whatever the official government line is, there is freedom to discuss, develop and promote methods of dealing with diabetes that don't fit the official line - such as low carb.

When I was diagnosed I found the Diabetes UK forum and website to be positively hostile to the idea that reducing carbs and abandoning Eatwell could possibly help my T2. I found DCUK to be much more supportive.

There is now a wealth of information about the effectiveness of low-carb for T2 (and for some T1s). At some point Diabetes UK and officialdom in general will have to fully recognise that - I suspect it won't happen until some other country goes first.
It wasn’t always that way, the old days were a lot of fun though, ha….. the ba….. ruled