What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Skipped breakfast
House tidy and packing, then 90 minute dog walk

Scotch egg

6 hour drive, just 1 stop for peppermint tea

D: cheeses with seed crackers. 1 cc chocolate pot. Then 3 bites something naughty husband was eating.

Libre sensor finished this morning

jessj

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
So pleased for you that you had such a good time, @Antje77 & the food looked delish. The cold swim, it must be in the blood with so many of your family joining you.

@sueh21, what a fantastic adventure, something I would have loved to do. Have a brilliant time & enjoy the various low carb offerings & some treats too!

That was some numbers you hit today, @Annb, some could be down to stress & increased pain with all the upheaval you have going on. Do hope they're down after some peace this evening. We'll all be waiting for an update.

For dinner, I had a chaffle (not burnt, although the camera decided it was!) with flattened meatballs & a little mayo/ketchup on the side. With a pic (not very pretty), as I actually took one for my sis.

Attachments

• Chaffle & flat balls.jpg
    Chaffle & flat balls.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 43

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes totally agree - and I think some leeway (or mistakes!) is really important if it's what helps us stay happy and healthy.
Yes, indeedy @jpscloud. When I first set out on my LCHF journey, I often coped well most of the day only to slip up during the evening. As for going out to lunch or dinner? Well, that was a challenge and a half, especially the pud.

I thought my tastes might change, but I was unprepared for just how quickly that happened. Hang in there and, as time goes by, low carbing gets easier. We're all different. Planned treats every now and again keep some of us sane, but the cardinal rule for me was to have three square meals a day. I soon found myself skipping the puds altogether!

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello all, well Storm Kathleen hasn't been too bad here, but of course I only went outside to fill up the bird feeders!
Evening @jpscloud.

Yes, the remnants of storm Kathleen have moved on thankfully, but the Met Office has already issued dire warnings on the west coast, as yet another weather system moves in! Has climate change brought about anything good?

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I actually managed to poach the eggs properly this time using a tip from the late, lamented Dave Myers. He said, if you put the egg, still in its shell, into the simmering water for 30 seconds, then break the egg into a cup or somesuch and proceed to dropping it into the simmering water as usual, the egg holds together much better while poaching. It works.
Thanks for sharing @Annb.

A touch of vinegar added to the simmering water helps too. (Any vinegar will do, but I like the flavour of cider vinegar). Then I just make a whirlpool with a fork and drop in the eggs one at a time. Provided that the eggs are reasonably fresh, they should hold together, but if the first one from a new box doesn't poach well, your tip could come in handy.

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning all, serious food envy here @Antje77 ,yum, glad you had such a good weekend.
We are off Interrailing today for 19 days, starting of course with a UK train strike.! Will be a real test of low carb, I see a lot of cheese,ham and omelettes in my future. Switzerland,Italy,Slovenia,Austria,Germany,fingers crossed.
Bon voyage @sue21. Look forward to hearing all about it on your return

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Evening all

Today:

B: Two poached eggs topped with butter, avocado and four tiger prawns, seasoned with a good grinding of black pepper.
Water to swallow tablet.
Espresso.

L: Mushroom stroganoff made with portabella mushrooms, dried porcini mushrooms, onions, vegetable stock, white miso paste, tomato purée, paprika, garlic, olive oil, butter, flat-leaf parsley and soured cream.
Cauliflower rice with toasted cashews and peas.
Braised cavolo nero with garlic and toasted almonds.
Skipped pud.
Water to drink.

D: Seafood salad made with brown shrimps, mussels, lettuce, shredded red cabbage, apple peel, celery, baby plum tomatoes and salad onions with a dollop of aioli for dipping, topped with toasted pistachios.
Water to swallow tablets.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks Antje, and thanks Shelley, for your concern. I haven't checked BP again yet, but will do shortly. I do have an issue with high BP and take Diltiazem to help with it but in the past it has been even higher (I was younger then, of course). My brother told me that at that level, I should be dead! Not that it would be that high afterwards, of course. If it doesn't drop, I will contact the surgery in the morning.
Checked BP last thing last night and it hadn't gone down - up in fact to 205/98. This morning it is 198/100. I'll call the surgery as soon as it is open. BG on the other hand was 5.0 when I got up (03:30) and is now 4.6. Just about to take basal insulin but I'm wondering if I should.

So far, just a cup of tea but bacon and eggs is waiting to be cooked. Not feeling hungry yet but the builders will be here at 08:30 so if I'm going to eat, it had better be soon.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Eventually managed to get through to the surgery and GP will phone me later. Just checked BP again - after sitting in my chair for half an hour - it's dropped to 188/98. I think I should still speak to him though. Pulse is also a bit high at 89 bpm.

Last edited:

shelley262

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Eventually managed to get through to the surgery and GP will phone me later. Just checked BP again - after sitting in my chair for half an hour - it's dropped to 188/98. I think I should still speak to him though. Pulse is also a bit high at 89 bpm.
Hope Drs phone appointment goes well and that your bp falls soon. Difficult I know with builders there but take it steady today.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
GP phoned. Don't need an appointment. She didn't seem particularly concerned about the BP but she did say she would prefer it to stay below the 200 mark. So would I. She does think the carnivore diet might be too much for my kidneys so thinks I should add just a bit of vegetable but she was impressed by the BG and weight level reduction. New pills to arrive at the pharmacy soon to keep BP in check and arrange a blood test in a couple of weeks to see how it's going.

Had my bacon and eggs before the workmen arrived but will have fish later. Neil was suggesting that I have some mushrooms which are definitely low carb, so he'll get some for me today - he's just gone to take a car load of junk to the recycling place. and will do some shopping. Probably cook the fish "en papillotte" with some mushrooms, butter and lemon.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
GP phoned. Don't need an appointment. She didn't seem particularly concerned about the BP but she did say she would prefer it to stay below the 200 mark. So would I. She does think the carnivore diet might be too much for my kidneys so thinks I should add just a bit of vegetable but she was impressed by the BG and weight level reduction. New pills to arrive at the pharmacy soon to keep BP in check and arrange a blood test in a couple of weeks to see how it's going.

Had my bacon and eggs before the workmen arrived but will have fish later. Neil was suggesting that I have some mushrooms which are definitely low carb, so he'll get some for me today - he's just gone to take a car load of junk to the recycling place. and will do some shopping. Probably cook the fish "en papillotte" with some mushrooms, butter and lemon.
Pleased to hear that GP was helpful and hopefully the new pills should help you to manage your blood pressure better. Also positive that she was pleased with the bgs and weight management side of things. Mushrooms are a good idea I eat a lot of them - I cook in a mix of butter and olive oil with a good sprinkle of pepper. Not technically a veggie either being a fungus.

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

That's good news Annb, hopefully the new tablets will help. Good for you for keeping to your low carb plan as well, it can be hard to stick with it when you have something else going wrong, and it's great that your Dr was impressed with your BG and weight results.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Missed a few days but getting back on track now:
No breakfast, it’s my birthday and I knew we’d be feasting later! A trip to the podiatrist ( what a way to celebrate) then lunch of chicken salad sandwich in LC bread. H/m yoghurt & raspberries, then a treat of a couple of squares of Montezuma’s Absolute black with orange, a present from a lovely friend who knows me well.
D-Family round for a takeaway curry. Glass of champagne and a tandoori mixed grill with a spoonful of saag paneer. A lovely day, just wish it could have stopped raining for a few minutes!
Very, very belated birthday wishes @DJC3

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All
Yesterday usual brekkie of slice LC toast, cooled with thick butter, copious tea.
Lunch was pack of Serrano ham & Manchego rollitos. Tea.
Supper was mini chicken fillets with cauli & broccoli cheese.
Today same brekkie.
Lunch was just mug of tea and a water biscuit, tummy felt odd.
Supper is planned to be cod fillet with mixed green veg medley.
@Antje77 that was some weekend, loved reading about it, thanks for sharing and congrats on managing food choices!
@Annb hope your BP comes into line and you start to feel better.
@sueh21 happy and safe travels. We want to interail around Spain after getting chatting to couple at Malaga airport who did just that.

filly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Spicy food which is too hot. Nasty people who have no idea on your life journey but feel the need to comment and be cruel.
Slightly overate today!
Coffee and cream x 2
Coffee and unsweetened almond milk
Chicken thighs x 3 1 cumberland sausage
Keto carrot cake

shelley262

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Brunch kefir then two boiled eggs and LC roll.
Mid pm a few nuts and squares of 100% Montezuma chocolate
Dinner slow cooked beef Casserole with purple sprouting broccoli and glass of red wine followed by a LC lemon drizzle cake warmed and served with hm yoghurt.
Out tomorrow all day meeting friends and going to a matinee performance of classical music from CBSO. Two meals out planned one thai for lunch and one Indian for dinner. Happy with Indian the Dishoom but never been to the Thai will see how it works out.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Superb hotel breakfast, cold buffet of turkey and Emmental ( Paul had fresh figs and a spoon of honeycomb, I was very envious) then eggs florentine without the muffin but with side of bacon and mushroom. This kept me full for most of the day.
Coastal walk then a few lengths of the pool. Lunch around 2pm was a gin and soda!!
4pm cup of tea and. dGF peanut butter egg.
D- at Rick Stein’s Fistral place: grilled haddock with watercress and spinach salad, Tartare sauce. Couple of glasses of Sauvignon blanc. View attachment 67055
These poached eggs are utter perfection

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and a carb killa bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and another carb killa bar.
Dinner: bacon melts with cauliflower, broccoli and runner beans.

2024-04-09 18.57.57.jpeg