Type 2's: What was your fasting blood glucose in a morning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VinnyJames

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
That's great! Even on extreme low carbing I don't get lower than 5.5

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Nothing wrong with that. We are all different, and all have different base levels that may never get consistently lower because we have sweeter blood, so to speak.

All the readings given on here are in mmol/l units as per our home meters (UK people). The HbA1c is in mmol/mol units, sometimes expressed in a percentage. For example, an HbA1c of 46mmol/mol is equivalent to 6.4% or 7.5mmol/l

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/hba1c-units-converter.html

Some other countries use a different unit of measurement mg/dL which is the American standard measurement.

Reactions: 6 people

gaz tred

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
5.9 whooow, where did that come from?? Highest ever morning reading. Late dinner at 9.30pm, no exercise for last 2 days in part due to heavy cold and also working 15 hour days, real stressy stuff again! Oh, and the mrs brought me a cuppa in bed at 5.45am this morning. Tested at 6.25. That's p**sed on my bonfire for today. I will be mr angry for the rest of the day now!!

poshtotty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Flippin' 8.8. this morning after keeping between 5.7 - 6.4 all day, but for the high fasting yesterday. A long 1hr walk after breakfast brought that down to 5.7 by mid morning

I'm desperate to get this fasting one down and don't see that its connected to what I eat as my readings are good throughout the day. I don't eat or drink in the evenings after 7.30pm. Do I maybe need a snack before bed to keep my liver happy?

Answers on a postcard please...

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Flippin' 8.8. this morning after keeping between 5.7 - 6.4 all day, but for the high fasting yesterday. A long 1hr walk after breakfast brought that down to 5.7 by mid morning

I'm desperate to get this fasting one down and don't see that its connected to what I eat as my readings are good throughout the day. I don't eat or drink in the evenings after 7.30pm. Do I maybe need a snack before bed to keep my liver happy?

Answers on a postcard please...
Hi Diana! 6.3 this morning. Mine rockets in the warmer weather and drops as soon as the weather becomes cooler and there's not a **** thing I can do about it. Sounds like dawn phenomenon . @Brunneria had some ideas as she has the same issue. Hopefully she'll spot this and come back to you! Scandix

Reactions: 3 people

poshtotty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Diana! 6.3 this morning. Mine rockets in the warmer weather and drops as soon as the weather becomes cooler and there's not a **** thing I can do about it. Sounds like dawn phenomenon . @Brunneria had some ideas as she has the same issue. Hopefully she'll spot this and come back to you! Scandix

Thanks @Scandichic I'm panicking a bit as I have another review next month and having impressed my DN last time and got her on side I don't want to scupper this up. I've gained 4lbs too and haven't been able to shift them in 2 weeks. There could be a connection. Maybe I need to tweak my fat/carb ratios.

Hope you 're good and well :) x

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Vinny - Your readings are fine. Just appear to run quite low, naturally.

How can I say naturally, when I was diagnosed with diabetes? Well, I reckon I had a dollop of insulin resistance that got a lot better as I rid myself of the love handles. Ahem.

But, I must be having higher readings sometimes too, that I don't see, because otherwise my HbA1c would be lower than 32 or 5.1%. But, I'm not too concerned about that.

On an aside, I have found if I don't eat enough, or if I go really hard core low carb, my scores are actually a bit worse. Bizarre though that may seem, those are my findings. So, I guess we each need to find our balance points, and stick with then. All a bit flim-flam and unhelpful, but that's where my thinking has arrived.

Keep fighting the good fight. :)

Reactions: 2 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was at my go-to number of 4.1 this morning. I'm happy with that.

This morning I have to watch the clock. I have my retinal screening today, and as I don't live near the hospital and can't drive there - just in case - I have to venture out into the big bad world on the charabanc. It's a 20 minute walk to the bus stop, and then same when I come back, so between that an finding my way around the huge hospital site, I'll probably have got my exercise under my belt, even without a meander through the city's retail emporia.

Some things just have to be done, don't they? ;)

Play nicely playmates.

Reactions: 5 people

alliebee

Mine were 10.2 this morning. I've not been on the forum for a while. So firstly hello to old friends....I've been a bit in denial lately. Letting things slip..so I'm turning over a new leaf and taking myself in hand big time...the support I always had on here was amazing

Reactions: 4 people

poshtotty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Vinny - Your readings are fine. Just appear to run quite low, naturally.

On an aside, I have found if I don't eat enough, or if I go really hard core low carb, my scores are actually a bit worse. Bizarre though that may seem, those are my findings. So, I guess we each need to find our balance points, and stick with then. All a bit flim-flam and unhelpful, but that's where my thinking has arrived.

Keep fighting the good fight. :)

Thank you @AndBreathe - I think you may have just answered one of my queries. I've definitely been eating less, mostly because I seem to have zero appetite since being on Metformin.

Now to read @Brunneria's link.

Thank you ladies. Have a good day.

JohnD54

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rice
6.0 after shower this morning, bit higher than I have been getting but had appointment for give bloods for 3 month test, this went horribly wrong. Drs / nurses ALWAY have a problem with getting bloods from me, no chance from arm so the take from hand, now there was not enough blood (it stopped coming out) I came over faint, sweaty and clammy and the sample they had was not enough.

Calmed down came home, took pin prick for my own bloods 8.0, it was a fasting full bloods for analysis.

Not a happy bunny.

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
5.6 ( 5.1) - looks like the weight loss is really helping my fasting levels as before even if I was low during day, the morning one was higher. Also the third Metformin seems to have kicked in - not sure I'm going to increase it to 4 as GP said as I'm often running at 4.1 these days and I feel a bit low at that which sets my panic attacks off.

Reactions: 7 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
5.5 at bedtime
5.3 this morning
:D

I had one of those weird results at lunch time yesterday that floored me. I had a tinned salmon salad with cherry toms, mayo, cheese and a slice of my usual Hovis Seed Sensations and butter. I have this exact lunch 3 times a week generally and never spike above 1mmol/l. Yesterday I spiked to 8.1 at 2 hours (2.2mmol/ls) I wasn't back down again until 3 hours. I re-tested to confirm, and was horrified. Why does that happen? :confused:

Reactions: 5 people

Susiespearish

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
well done @Susiespearish what do you attribute this too?
I'm putting it down to the simple thing of cutting out the major carbs Dale ...No potatos,rice ,pasta ect .I used to eat pasta of some form at least four times a week .I am back on Metformin but my bg had dropped to around ten before I even took the first tablet so it can only really be my eating .Oh and of course smaller portions :)

OOps nearly forgot 9.3 this morning

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 8 people
Status
Not open for further replies.