Type 2's: What was your fasting blood glucose in a morning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rose28

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This morning 5.1
Very surprised as late last night realised after a busy day I hadn't taken my normal morning dose of forxiga, first time ever ! Now making me wonder about what gp said last week about stopping my forxiga in January.......

That's great bs without meds. Well Done! :)
Did the gp say why he's stopping the Forxiga?

Reactions: 2 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
9.1 this morning, *sigh*. Don't know what is going on!

Are you very low carb? I was reading somewhere that on very low carbs our insulin resistance goes a bit haywire in the mornings. The less carbs we eat, the less insulin our bodies produce, and for some reason I don't understand this can affect morning fasting levels. Anyone understand this? Not that it matters for me personally as I am not very low carb.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
After very pleasing readings following my weekly meat and potato pie last night (8.0 at 1hr, 6.2 at 2hrs, 5.2 at 2.5hrs and 4.9 at 3hrs), things continued well.

5.1 at bedtime
5.3 this morning
:)

Reactions: 18 people

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
5.8 for the third day running, evening preprandials have also been the same for three days at 5.3.

Reactions: 15 people
S

Sable_Jan

Wow! Woke up to 26 updates. What busy people you've been while I was sleeping ;-). A 5.2 for me this morning

Reactions: 12 people

Rose28

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
8.7 this morning, after a disturbed night of coughing and feeling cold then later hot and throwing the duvet off :rolleyes:

Now I'm Craving porridge made with whole milk, tad coconut oil and maybe dash of double cream .... It's all medicinal of course! :joyful:

Reactions: 10 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@AndBreathe how did the "cooking" go? After all talk of lasagne I HAD to make one....only got 5 sheets in which was 100g Sgt so only 70ish carbs shared by 4 portions. Cheese sauce made wth soya milk. Cornflour is 90gs carb/ 100.... So brainwave said make the cheese sauce runny instead of the meat sauce (always need to water it down) so only one rounded desertspooonful instead of 2 heaped....now why didn't I think of that b4....

The "chocolate mousse" was more of a set ganache to be honest. It is extremely rich.

I was making the mousse element of a cake of Mary Berry’s. As I was experimenting, I made smaller quantities than the recipe suggested, and ignored Mary’s recommendation for no more than 40-50% cocoa solids (for obvious reasons). Mary considers the potion to be too bitter with higher cocoa solids, but I rather liked the bitterness we all associate with the higher percentages.

The cake mixture calls for 450ml cream and 300gr chocolate, which makes 8-10 portions. I did 150ml cream and 50gr chocolate. With the correct proportions of cream it would have been even more like a solid block. In using those proportions, I made 2 “portions”, but when it came to sampling last night, we shared one, and probably only ate about a third of one portion between us. I couldn’t get through it on it’s own, so had mine as an addition to my raspberries with cream, and Mr B had his with some luxury ice cream.

It was delicious, but not quite what I thought it was going to be, and we have lots left over!

Next will be a more traditional mousse (again from Mrs Berry): http://www.maryberry.co.uk/recipes/desserts/wicked-chocolate-mousse , which will be much lighter, thanks to the egg whites. I’ll try this one with the remainder of the chocolate I have, but not until we’ve at least made a bit of a dent in experiment #1. When I added the recipe to myfitnesspal for the carb count, experiment #1 came out at 416 cals, 7gr carb and 41gr fat, so not for the faint hearted. Based on the amounts we actually managed to consume, the numbers were much less.

Reactions: 8 people

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
What bird is that in your avatar Rose? I was thinking crossbill or waxwing but it seems too brightly coloured.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks :) Specially made......:D shows how a bit of thought can make stuff healthier though. Feels so sorry for folks who can't cook

I don't want to appear to be raining on your BBQ, but I would suggest testing a bit longer with the lasagne (pasta generally), as it's infamous for sneaking up over a longer period. I certainly found I was fine at a couple of hours, but after 3 I had gone up further and stayed there for several hours. I'm not alone in these findings.

I hope you're not one of us who reacts in this way, but it's probably worth a few strips just to be sure.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks everyone for your kind words on Sunday. I didn't actually feel too good with such low bs (4.8/5.3) so cancelled my PT session as I had no energy and went back to bed.

My daughter and granddaughter arrived in the evening by which time I'd rallied enough to prepare the fatted calf....;) Its been chaotic since they arrived and I feel as if I'm the one with a new baby as I'm getting disturbed nights, and helping with the night feeds! It was 3pm one day before I managed to put some make-up on! Pluses are lots of daytime cuddles, winding sessions and walks in the shiny new pink stroller I bought to keep at home for them

After Sunday's blip, I'm keeping steady 6's and mostly 5's in the daytime. Yesterday we had a big road trip to Essex to meet 17 relatives for a pre Christmas restaurant lunch. We arrived a tad late due to traffic delays so missed the starters. I chose pork medallians in a dijon mustard sauce as my main, skipped the potatoes had the carrots and roasted parsnips as they were the only veg, apart from red cabbage. I managed to decline the sticky toffee pudding, Christmas pud and all the other carb laden sweets and asked for a plate of cheese. I lusted after the turkey roast most of the others had until I saw it was swimming in very thick gravy.

Checked my bs before getting behind the wheel for the 4 hour drive home and I was 7.3.

Fasting bs this week have been

Mon - 6.3
Tues - 6.8
Weds - 6.2
Thurs - 6.5

which I'm pleasantly surprised at given the disturbed nights. massive disruption to routine and a fridge stocked with Christmas food which I'm managing to avoid, but for a couple of mini mince pies which caused a small, temporary spike of 7.3

I've missed you all here but will have to wait until next week to catch up on all the posts.

Hope everyone is still doing well and enjoying the Christmas preps

You may be being slightly more active than usual (perpetual motion, rather than exercise sessions)?

Reactions: 4 people

Rose28

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What bird is that in your avatar Rose? I was thinking crossbill or waxwing but it seems too brightly coloured.

I'm afraid I'm not sure... I'm thinking it may be a cardinal? I asked Mr Google for a pic of red bird in the snow and this beauty caught my eye!

beatdise

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Gym workouts
After very pleasing readings following my weekly meat and potato pie last night (8.0 at 1hr, 6.2 at 2hrs, 5.2 at 2.5hrs and 4.9 at 3hrs), things continued well.

5.1 at bedtime
5.3 this morning
:)
You are looking so GOOD @Bluetit1802 I'm coming after you with my reducing numbers. WELL DONE!

Reactions: 5 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You are looking so GOOD @Bluetit1802 I'm coming after you with my reducing numbers. WELL DONE!

Thank you Beatdise. My husband is the chef in our house, and his meat and potato pies are just delicious. As he refused to stop making them when I started low carb I carried on having them. I used my meter to arrive at a sensible portion, left all the pastry, added some cheese, ate a bit of pastry, did without the cheese, messed about generally, but it seems to have paid off. I am happy with last night's results.

beatdise

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Gym workouts
Well the only thing that I have done differently this week consistently is have that half glass of juiced BITTER GOURD. My number after my walk this morning is 4.6. :D

Yesterday had to get a sandwich from Greggs before business meeting. TUNA CRUNCH brown bread I was only 6.2 after two hours.
Maybe it is a combination of everything, exercise, diet. accumulative sustained focus. I am NOT working out in a gym though. All I do is my two mile walk which has got brisker everyday as I have got fitter and stronger.

Thanks for all your support and guidance, legends members and management team. HURRAH!!

Reactions: 9 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well the only thing that I have done differently this week consistently is have that half glass of juiced BITTER GOURD. My number after my walk this morning is 4.6. :D

Yesterday had to get a sandwich from Greggs before business meeting. TUNA CRUNCH brown bread I was only 6.2 after two hours.
Maybe it is a combination of everything, exercise, diet. accumulative sustained focus. I am NOT working out in a gym though. All I do is my two mile walk which has got brisker everyday as I have got fitter and stronger.

Thanks for all your support and guidance, legends members and management team. HURRAH!!

Well done you! I may be able to manage the meat and spud pie, but I can't manage 2 slices of any sort of bread, whatever the sandwich filling. Strange how we are all different.

beatdise

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Gym workouts
Thank you Beatdise. My husband is the chef in our house, and his meat and potato pies are just delicious. As he refused to stop making them when I started low carb I carried on having them. I used my meter to arrive at a sensible portion, left all the pastry, added some cheese, ate a bit of pastry, did without the cheese, messed about generally, but it seems to have paid off. I am happy with last night's results.
And therein lies the secret. MESSED ABOUT GENERALLY story of my life. Not too much rocket science, just do the best making small adjustments here and there. Can be hugely effective. Good on your hubby too and well done you.

beatdise

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Gym workouts
Well done you! I may be able to manage the meat and spud pie, but I can't manage 2 slices of any sort of bread, whatever the sandwich filling. Strange how we are all different.
Yes but when I started testing my BS no way could I manage the bread I was getting 10's and 12's. I still don't intend to make a habit of it. It was just that at my lunch time business meeting they hadn't organised lunch just cakes and mince pies???!!! You are right though we can only ever talk about how things work for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.