Am I being a grumpy old git or what

Auckland Canary

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You can disagree.

But I'd also disagree that you're a vegetarian if you're that ready to eat meat.

Anyway, my point is not whether I CAN eat carbs or not, but whether i should be given the choice or not.
I was happy to put my feelings to one side so as not to upset someone who was accommodating me overnight who I had not bothered to inform in advance I didn't eat meat. It was my fault so I got on with it. It's the only time in years I have. There was also a time many many years ago when I was In Mozambique that I was given a choice of chicken or nothing. I chose chicken because I didn't want to starve and there were literally no other options. Sure you can label me how you want but sometimes you just have to put your principles to one side for the greater good. If there is a choice I choose not to eat meat therefore I am vege.
My point is it was a one off event so I don't see what the problem is. There is a fine line between standing by what you believe in and getting a bit whiny about your rights.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I find it difficult, I have Coeliac disease as well. Went to Ikea in Southampton with my teenager and my friend, teenager hungry, so we went to the restaurant, they had spag bol and a pudding, nothing for me though, a green salad ( no meat left) and a babies gluten free yogurt, and a cup of weak tea :yuck: I was not impressed at all, and I was hungry and so I cooked one small meal,just for me, when I got home, ggrrrrrrrr :mad: So yes I was a bit on the grumpy side :rolleyes:

RRB

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 people
A

Avocado Sevenfold

I was happy to put my feelings to one side so as not to upset someone who was accommodating me overnight who I had not bothered to inform in advance I didn't eat meat. It was my fault so I got on with it. It's the only time in years I have. There was also a time many many years ago when I was In Mozambique that I was given a choice of chicken or nothing. I chose chicken because I didn't want to starve and there were literally no other options. Sure you can label me how you want but sometimes you just have to put your principles to one side for the greater good. If there is a choice I choose not to eat meat therefore I am vege.
My point is it was a one off event so I don't see what the problem is. There is a fine line between standing by what you believe in and getting a bit whiny about your rights.
Whiny?

Your post raises a lot of moot points as you say in another post that you eat fish. You are not by definition vegetarian. Read a dictionary if you don't believe me.

Reactions: 2 people

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
My sister in law is doing the "family meal" for before Christmas this year and is "freaking out" over the catering, phoning up with every change of menu :woot:. Melon: cant have that (allergic reaction) Grapefruit juice: (interaction with meds) Suffing : too carby, Pies/puds: ditto
Keep telling her I love non-carby veg & meat & nuts:cool:
If she gets it wrong, I'll smile sweetly and eat it as it's only one meal and SHE'S TRIED HER DAMNEDEST AND I LOVE HER FOR IT!

Reactions: 9 people

Auckland Canary

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Whiny?

Your post raises a lot of moot points as you say in another post that you eat fish. You are not by definition vegetarian. Read a dictionary if you don't believe me.
I am well aware that I eat fish but I don't eat meat, vege pescatarian call me what you want. My point was that someone put some food in front of me that I didn't normally eat but I got on with it as I hadn't previously informed them about my requirements. If Ely Dave had not discussed in advance with his wife where they were going and then it wasn't to his liking it's his fault. He needs to be having this discussion with her in advance rather than complaining after the fact and upsetting her birthday.

VinnyJames

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I suppose all points are valid in one way or another. It probably boils down to whether you are out for the food or company.

I eat out 3 times a week and I don't find it unduly difficult to compromise.

Happy eating

Nuthead

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
My sister in law is doing the "family meal" for before Christmas this year and is "freaking out" over the catering, phoning up with every change of menu :woot:. Melon: cant have that (allergic reaction) Grapefruit juice: (interaction with meds) Suffing : too carby, Pies/puds: ditto
Keep telling her I love non-carby veg & meat & nuts:cool:
If she gets it wrong, I'll smile sweetly and eat it as it's only one meal and SHE'S TRIED HER DAMNEDEST AND I LOVE HER FOR IT!
Good post with a sensible attitude. Even we as diabetes get it wrong sometimes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I am well aware that I eat fish but I don't eat meat, vege pescatarian call me what you want. My point was that someone put some food in front of me that I didn't normally eat but I got on with it as I hadn't previously informed them about my requirements. If Ely Dave had not discussed in advance with his wife where they were going and then it wasn't to his liking it's his fault. He needs to be having this discussion with her in advance rather than complaining after the fact and upsetting her birthday.

Some good points AC, I do think we need to live on this earth and not just exist. Occasionally we can bend a little,( as long as it doesn't cause extreme health issues) I had my moan about Ikea, didn't like it as it didn't cater for me, also the looks on the staff's faces was a picture, felt like I was another being just popping down to earth for the day as it was all gobberly gooch to them o_O I haven't been there again. ps, It wasn't my idea to walk round Ikea, it was my friend's fault, I prefer being outside :D

Auckland Canary

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Some good points AC, I do think we need to live on this earth and not just exist. Occasionally we can bend a little,( as long as it doesn't cause extreme health issues) I had my moan about Ikea, didn't like it as it didn't cater for me, also the looks on the staff's faces was a picture, felt like I was another being just popping down to earth for the day as it was all gobberly gooch to them o_O I haven't been there again. ps, It wasn't my idea to walk round Ikea, it was my friend's fault, I prefer being outside :D
Thanks RRB you have made my points better than I did, I think I came across earlier as a bit judgemental so I apologise to Ely Dave for that.
However I think we need to take responsibility for ourselves and we need to be flexible to some degree just to keep things moving. That doesn't mean we have to take any s..t that comes our way but pick our battles appropriately. I just think Ely Dave picked the wrong one. Merry Christmas everyone :)

brenda walker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wife's birthday today, her sister in law who joined us for the meal is a non-egg eating vegetarian who also does not like goats cheese.

My wife got the restarant to give us three choices fr starter, main dessert. All veggie which is no problem, but all carb centric - starters involving gingerbread, potatoes and root veggies, mains being pasta, risotto, roast squash.

Am I being a grumpy old b@st@rd when I see this as taking account of others dietary needs and ignoring mine, and essentially being a point of unnecessary stress?

I eventually went for a goats cheese salad they made for me, more goats cheese and roast squash and the fruit based dessert with least added sugar ( a cheese option would have been nice, having lacked dairy in the rest of the meal)

Rant over, tell me if i'm being cynical and ridiculous.
No you are not being cynical I am veggy diabetic so are other members of my family. Over years of experience we prefer to use the same establishments who are used to all of our dietary needs. Even in hospital I was offered a ham salad. Its a nightmare to eat any where else.

Reactions: 5 people

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I blame the restaurant. It shouldn't be so limited. Needs to employ a more enlightened chef.

• "Can I see the menu, please?"
  • "No need, sir. What can I get you? Carbs, carbs, carbs or carbs?"
  • "I think I"ll have the carbs".

Reactions: 6 people
A

Avocado Sevenfold

No you are not being cynical I am veggy diabetic so are other members of my family. Over years of experience we prefer to use the same establishments who are used to all of our dietary needs. Even in hospital I was offered a ham salad. Its a nightmare to eat any where else.

That is bad, but does not suprise me :( My dietitian thinks vegetarians eat fish. My local Italian restaurant thinks it is appropriate to smother vegetables in genuine Parmesan and label them "suitable for vegetarians." Perhaps if people did not call themselves vegetarian while eating anything with a pulse, the general public would be better informed :)

Reactions: 4 people
C

catherinecherub

Wife's birthday today, her sister in law who joined us for the meal is a non-egg eating vegetarian who also does not like goats cheese.

My wife got the restarant to give us three choices fr starter, main dessert. All veggie which is no problem, but all carb centric - starters involving gingerbread, potatoes and root veggies, mains being pasta, risotto, roast squash.

Am I being a grumpy old b@st@rd when I see this as taking account of others dietary needs and ignoring mine, and essentially being a point of unnecessary stress?

I eventually went for a goats cheese salad they made for me, more goats cheese and roast squash and the fruit based dessert with least added sugar ( a cheese option would have been nice, having lacked dairy in the rest of the meal)

Rant over, tell me if i'm being cynical and ridiculous.

I don't understand why your wife could not look for somewhere that catered for both of your dietary needs, it is not as though she doesn't know your preferences.

Reactions: 12 people
A

AnnieC

Why would we expect all eateries to do low carb choices for diabetics as the low carb diet is not the generally excepted one but our own choice .It is only done by a small percentage of diabetics so most will have never heard of it.so can we reasonably expect all restaurants and pubs to cater for that Even if they did it would probably not be what everyone would like. Why not just low carb all day and then you can enjoy having something you don't normally eat when you go to the restaurant isn't that a part of the treat when eating out for special occasions like birthdays

Reactions: 3 people

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Further to my report on page 236 :joyful: it's my sister-in-law who takes centre stage in a restaurant since her needs have always been greater. She is very deaf (so has to sit where she can lip-read as much as possible) and in remission from breast cancer, with a gluten-free diet plus other variations. Everyone respects and recoils from the big C but not from the apparently not quite so big D.
This is actually very good for me because my bro makes all the arrangements about the menu beforehand and we use obliging restaurants as far as we can.
Also, I resigned as chairman of a club I belong to because I felt obliged to attend every transport-caff meal or cream tea with scones & jam on every outing (a club tradition). Ironically now I'm doing LCHF the fry-up has acquired a new attraction, minus the hash browns, chips, baked beans and toast!

Reactions: 5 people

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Why would we expect all eateries to do low carb choices for diabetics as the low carb diet is not the generally excepted one but our own choice .It is only done by a small percentage of diabetics so most will have never heard of it.so can we reasonably expect all restaurants and pubs to cater for that Even if they did it would probably not be what everyone would like. Why not just low carb all day and then you can enjoy having something you don't normally eat when you go to the restaurant isn't that a part of the treat when eating out for special occasions like birthdays
The question is:Why do we pay to eat in a restaurant?
Answer : to avail ourselves of their skill/knowledge of the culinary arts!
If they do not have the knowledge of one of the food groups, they do not deserve our business!

Reactions: 7 people
A

Avocado Sevenfold

I don't expect eateries to cater for me so just make the most of it. On a recent night out, I had goats cheese salad (same as ElyDave!) but left the accompanying bread and most of the apple. No starter, no pudding, no alcohol, no choice. It didn't matter to me though - it was the company that mattered as it was my nephew's birthday. He is a non-diabetic, vegetarian with a severe nut allergy. We all just have to make the best choices on the day :)

Reactions: 7 people

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Don't you think that low-carb options should be on any restaurant menu?
It's not just a small % of diabetics who might want to eat other nutrients apart from carbs.
Anyone might prefer a low-carb option, for lots of different reasons: dietary, taste, variety, calories, allergies etc ....
I know what you mean by 'treat'. It's something I've heard others say to me. Because they themselves can't imagine not eating carbs. I think perhaps they feel sorry for me that I 'can't' eat carbs.
Personally, something high in carbs is no longer a 'treat' for me. That's my misfortune, maybe, but it doesn't feel like that. :)

Auckland Canary

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Don't you think that low-carb options should be on any restaurant menu?
It's not just a small % of diabetics who might want to eat other nutrients apart from carbs.
Anyone might prefer a low-carb option, for lots of different reasons: dietary, taste, variety, calories, allergies etc ....
I know what you mean by 'treat'. It's something I've heard others say to me. Because they themselves can't imagine not eating carbs. I think perhaps they feel sorry for me that I 'can't' eat carbs.
Personally, something high in carbs is no longer a 'treat' for me. That's my misfortune, maybe, but it doesn't feel like that. :)
A restaurant is a business though not a social care service for minority diets. Obviously they have to take certain precautions because of health reasons such as allergies to nuts etc but ultimately the owner can do what they want. If they are getting business through the door with the menu they are providing they will continue to do so.
If you want to argue the point to the extreme you could get the hump if you went into an Italian restaurant and they didn't have prawn madras on the menu because you want it. There are lots of places that do cater for the food you want so you go to those and don't go to the ones that you don't like.