My Wife Refuses Insulin

Cant_help_her

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ive been married about 28 years, my wife was diagnosed with type 2 about 20 years ago and was warned that if she didn't look after it insulin would follow. About 15 years ago she was told that she needed insulin and she made a few attempts to take but gave up. Now she is in serious trouble and still refuses treatment!! is there anyone out there that deals with the same thing and could just talk to me?. We just had a 4 day hospital visit for a foot infection and she refused to start insulin and told them she never would. I don't need to tell anyone here what not taking insulin does to a body after that time but its so tough to watch. Any real advice would help not looking for silly replies thank you

Reactions: 2 people

Cl1ve

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi . Can I ask if you have asked your wife why she does no want to take insulin

Cant_help_her

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi . Can I ask if you have asked your wife why she does no want to take insulin
She tells me its the needle but she wont try the pump and I can only think its the weight gain ...I never cared ever , she tried to get help from Professionals but I don't know what was said at her appointments and now she wont even try that again.

Magsx1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Can you be cruel to be kind? Show her a few pictures of amputations?

Cant_help_her

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have tried everything I could think of. we have 4 kids and 5 Grandkids....If that alone wont do it nothing will.

Reactions: 3 people

Cl1ve

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi . There are a lot of people with a fear of needles I'm one of them . I don't like injections and the thought of having to do it myself would fill me with dread . There are counsellors that can help with this . But it seams from your reply that you are not sure what the problem is . Have you thought of going to see someone yourself maybe if you chatted with someone who understands it may help you better understand how your wife is feeling and you may then be in a better position to her . I think that any advice given to you needs to come from a professional counsellor . I really hope you can get it sorted out

Clive

Reactions: 7 people
S

Shar67

You've hit the nail on the head, you cannot make her change.
Tough love, start preparing for her funeral, get the kids and grand kids involved.
Tell her you need to be moving on with your life and she hasn't got a future.

Reactions: 9 people

Cant_help_her

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi . There are a lot of people with a fear of needles I'm one of them . I don't like injections and the thought of having to do it myself would fill me with dread . There are counsellors that can help with this . But it seams from your reply that you are not sure what the problem is . Have you thought of going to see someone yourself maybe if you chatted with someone who understands it may help you better understand how your wife is feeling and you may then be in a better position to her . I think that any advice given to you needs to come from a professional counsellor . I really hope you can get it sorted out

Clive
I have offered to give them to her as have our kids . Thank you though I have tried that as well and if she doesn't want help I cant help her ....they tell me I am Grieving for her now ....crazy huh

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ive been married about 28 years, my wife was diagnosed with type 2 about 20 years ago and was warned that if she didn't look after it insulin would follow. About 15 years ago she was told that she needed insulin and she made a few attempts to take but gave up. Now she is in serious trouble and still refuses treatment!! is there anyone out there that deals with the same thing and could just talk to me?. We just had a 4 day hospital visit for a foot infection and she refused to start insulin and told them she never would. I don't need to tell anyone here what not taking insulin does to a body after that time but its so tough to watch. Any real advice would help not looking for silly replies thank you

I'm afraid the old saying about leading a horse to water is never truer than with someone who "won't" with anything.

Clearly your wife isn't doing very well, if she has a foot infection. How is she feeling in herself? Is she on oral medication? If so, are they at the maximum levels? And does she take those medications, regularly and as prescribed?

And finally, does she carry any excess weight?

Magsx1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Is she suffering from depression? Apparently this can be a side effect of diabetes, maybe the doctor could prescribe something to help her, then deal with the other stuff.

Reactions: 5 people

Cant_help_her

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You've hit the nail on the head, you cannot make her change.
Tough love, start preparing for her funeral, get the kids and grand kids involved.
Tell her you need to be moving on with your life and she hasn't got a future.
I have told her that I have told her she killed herself and I told her we need to plan for this. But maybe if the kids started planning for it it may help Thanks

Cant_help_her

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm afraid the old saying about leading a horse to water is never truer than with someone who "won't" with anything.

Clearly your wife isn't doing very well, if she has a foot infection. How is she feeling in herself? Is she on oral medication? If so, are they at the maximum levels? And does she take those medications, regularly and as prescribed?

And finally, does she carry any excess weight?
she feels terrible she has nerve nyropathy thru 100 percent of her body she cant feel her feet and she takes metaforman all maximum sry for the mispells

Cl1ve

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have offered to give them to her as have our kids . Thank you though I have tried that as well and if she doesn't want help I cant help her ....they tell me I am Grieving for her now ....crazy huh

All you can do is your best . Don't give up . And remember that you need help to . Have a chat with someone about how you feel it affects you as much as it affects your wife . I don't think showing her photos of people with diabetic problems or tough love is the right thing to do . Don't give up all you can do is your best . I think she needs you right now even if it's only to hold her hand

Clive

Cant_help_her

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Is she suffering from depression? Apparently this can be a side effect of diabetes, maybe the doctor could prescribe something to help her, then deal with the other stuff.
she take depression pills pain killers and diabetic pills .....but she needs the insulin most

Cant_help_her

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
All you can do is your best . Don't give up . And remember that you need help to . Have a chat with someone about how you feel wit affects you as much as it affects your wife . I don't think showing her photos so people with diabetic problems or tough love is the right thing to do . Don't give up all you can do is your best . I think she needs you right now even if it's only to hold her hand

Clive
Thanks ...appreciate that

Magsx1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have only been diagnosed since May, I find it all very confusing and to begin with I thought I,lol carry on as I normally do, I can't get my head around what to eat what not to eat, I can easily see how your wife would want to give up after all that time, perhaps her doc should help her more, maybe the depression pills need to be reviewed?

Cant_help_her

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have only been diagnosed since May, I find it all very confusing and to begin with I thought I,lol carry on as I normally do, I can't get my head around what to eat what not to eat, I can easily see how your wife would want to give up after all that time, perhaps her doc should help her more, maybe the depression pills need to be reviewed?
Don't ever give up and I know for a fact there are food guides available to help you. She sees different doctors and Endocrynologist reviews it all . Don't ever give up

M

mrspuddleduck

Hi, can I take it back a step? Does your wife test her blood sugars? And how is she with her diet and meds? I suppose I'm trying to work out what she is frightened of, the diabetes, the needles or even of dying. I must admit it sounds to me like a very frightened lady and personally I'm not sure the scare tactics would help at the moment. Does she know you have come to the forum? Would she be prepared to join herself? Sorry for all the questions! Sue x

Reactions: 7 people

Magsx1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you, I will try and get my head around it all.
I feel for you, it's hard to see a loved one destroy themselves, I really hope she changes her mind, I wonder if she is fed up with seeing many doctors, and just needs one to deal with her all the time so she can open up and tell him/her how she feels.
It's not human nature to give up without a fight,that's why I think she sounds really depressed. I'm sure if one of her children had it she would be the first to try and get them to do the right thing.
Good luck to you, you are doing all you can.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
she feels terrible she has nerve nyropathy thru 100 percent of her body she cant feel her feet and she takes metaforman all maximum sry for the mispells

Sadly, she probably feels worse because her bloods aren't under control, but those are semantics a this point.

Does she take any other medication, as well as the Metformin? For example, many people take both Metformin and Gliclazide together?