Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Oh, embarrassment looms! I did deadlifts with 45kg, and squats with just one 12kg dumbbell(that was too easy, I want to try barbell squats next time), and lateral raises with weights so light I refuse to mention, especially because my left and right arm proved to be completely different in strength! And military presses with, I think, a mere, 20kg. All the walking has been good for my legs, but my feeble little upper body needs a lot if work!

Anyway, I haven't done anything with weights since I was in sixth form - so that's 35 years ago. And it was enjoyable.

I am planning to try the program by the guy on 'muscle for life' website. He wrote a book called Bigger, Leaner, Stronger for men (and another called Thinner, Leaner, Stronger for women, FGS!) and it looks effective. The program has you lift as heavy as you can, and increase the weight immediately as soon as you can lift it easily. So, I'm trying it. I'll let you know how it goes. :)
All that sounds good to me! Go girl!

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Yesterday was a write off for me. No reason except laziness.

JenniferW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I did 10 kms yesterday (15,000 steps) according to my fitbit. I've got my Diabetic Nurse appointment this morning followed by my GP appointment in a different clinic a mile away so will get some added walking in!

That's the sort of walking which works for me - appointments and commitments and walking to get to them. I had a day of that recently and it turned out to be the day of the week with the longest amount of walking in it.

Annieok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That's the sort of walking which works for me - appointments and commitments and walking to get to them. I had a day of that recently and it turned out to be the day of the week with the longest amount of walking in it.
Me too - on days when I go into the office (3 days a week), I walk to the station, walk from the train station to the tram, 3 stops further than I used to get on, walk around the office, making sure I leave my desk and go out at lunchtime, and then do that in reverse on the way home. Then I usually get to about 8000 steps. Add in a detour on my way home or a quick walk along the canal, and it's done. Today, having been to the DN and the GP, walked back, went to the pharmacy and the market, I'm at 9,600 steps. I'm off to Leeds now for a meeting. I'm getting an earlier train so I can walk to the meeting and back to the station rather than getting a taxi which I probably would have done in the past. Bad news though on my blood pressure - still too high for the gym. Well at least I have an excuse not to go!

Reactions: 6 people

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Me too - on days when I go into the office (3 days a week), I walk to the station, walk from the train station to the tram, 3 stops further than I used to get on, walk around the office, making sure I leave my desk and go out at lunchtime, and then do that in reverse on the way home. Then I usually get to about 8000 steps. Add in a detour on my way home or a quick walk along the canal, and it's done. Today, having been to the DN and the GP, walked back, went to the pharmacy and the market, I'm at 9,600 steps. I'm off to Leeds now for a meeting. I'm getting an earlier train so I can walk to the meeting and back to the station rather than getting a taxi which I probably would have done in the past. Bad news though on my blood pressure - still too high for the gym. Well at least I have an excuse not to go!
I Def did more steps o commuting days than not, also we have a seven floor office building which provides many chances for stair climbs!

Reactions: 4 people

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
What I'd not really understood in this 'lifestyle' stuff, was just how much I'm needing to change my routines.
Yes, but isn't it quite shocking how 'modern life' has made a sedentary existence not just unexceptional, but actually really hard to avoid? I mean, at one time, before all our 'progress' the normal amount of physical labour in a day would have kept most people fairly fit. Now we have to look for time to squeeze in exercise!

Reactions: 10 people

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
An hour of walking today and does standing up all the commute home count?

Reactions: 2 people

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Hello all, 5miles yesterday - car had to go to garage so I walked home. Hadn't planned to but had just missed a bus and so I kept plodding to a stop and checking the time and the bus always seemed to be 20 min away so I kept going. Tip trips today.

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Walked 6 miles yesterday and 7 today. Well today we went to The Lord Mayor's Show so plenty of walking. All very gentle.

Reactions: 3 people

JenniferW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I did four laps of the local park again.

I can't bring myself to do that. I had a friend who spent some years in prison and it always reminds me of hearing her talk about walking round the yard for exercise. Mind you, she was fitter than I was.

I hit my fitness monitor target yesterday without any planning to, which is the sort of exercise I like! I went out for the day to meet friends to go to an art exhibition and this meant walking to the station first, then from the station to the cafe where we met up, from the cafe to the gallery, and then all in reverse. In other words, broken up with big 'rests' so it didn't feel like almost 12,000 steps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 5 people

Annieok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It's horrible weather here - stormy, windy and very wet. I'm going to attempt a walk later but the river is very high with a flood risk so trying to figure out a path that isn't on the road or next to the river. Or maybe I'll stay at home and have a day off!

JenniferW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's horrible weather here - stormy, windy and very wet. I'm going to attempt a walk later but the river is very high with a flood risk so trying to figure out a path that isn't on the road or next to the river. Or maybe I'll stay at home and have a day off!

I started to think about this back in the summer, and have been building up a mental list of paths and walks which work whatever the weather! Mind you, I do get bored with the same routes. I look at people running and wonder why they obviously don't feel the same.

Reactions: 5 people

Annieok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I like the same routes, especially watching as they change over the seasons, but most of mine seem to feature walking beside water so not ideal in this weather! Maybe I'll just put on some music and have a dance around the living room!

Annieok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I walked around town then retreated to the local knitting shop. My boots are not as waterproof as they should be, I discovered. The water was fairly high in some places. There were people in kayaks on the playing fields. start again tomorrow!

JenniferW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I walked around town then retreated to the local knitting shop. My boots are not as waterproof as they should be, I discovered. The water was fairly high in some places. There were people in kayaks on the playing fields. start again tomorrow!

Wow! I'd thought I probably need to buy wellies now - no-one says you might need these as part of becoming T2.

Annieok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I just bought some online. I had to measure my calf and get the wider fit ones. It's all that muscle from walking! Luckily I had a tape measure in my knitting bag.