Regular moderate exercise log

JenniferW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I just bought some online. I had to measure my calf and get the wider fit ones. It's all that muscle from walking! Luckily I had a tape measure in my knitting bag.

Wonderful - I didn't even know you could get wider leg ones. Mind you, I was just planning to go to the local Asda.

My halo's shining at the moment because I walked 11,000+ steps today. Makes up a bit for no walk yesterday.

Reactions: 2 people

JenniferW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Walked 6 miles yesterday and 7 today. Well today we went to The Lord Mayor's Show so plenty of walking. All very gentle.

6 or 7 miles each day is good going - are you managing to do this most days? It's more than I could cope with yet. I do that distance on some days, but on other days it's half that.

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I haven't been logging my exercise for the last few days, but I've done a few shortish walks and two weight training sessions since I last logged in.

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
4 miles today and 5 yesterday. Trying to keep this going while weather is still OK here.

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
6 or 7 miles each day is good going - are you managing to do this most days? It's more than I could cope with yet. I do that distance on some days, but on other days it's half that.

Jennifer I try to do 10,000 steps a day most days. I have built this up as it really helped my control of blood sugar and that is motivation to keep going. More doesn't seem to improve things so my aim is 4 to 5 miles but it is still very slow so takes ages. Part of that is one of my feet is slow to react and also age (66) so think I would have been slowing down anyway. I walk to the shops and anywhere else if possible. Do find the carrying home of shopping difficult so have to do it in small quantities so more trips to the shops. My children gave me a fitbit and they also have one and can check what I'm doing as well. It's great when I do more than them.

JenniferW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Jennifer I try to do 10,000 steps a day most days. I have built this up as it really helped my control of blood sugar and that is motivation to keep going. More doesn't seem to improve things so my aim is 4 to 5 miles but it is still very slow so takes ages. Part of that is one of my feet is slow to react and also age (66) so think I would have been slowing down anyway. I walk to the shops and anywhere else if possible. Do find the carrying home of shopping difficult so have to do it in small quantities so more trips to the shops. My children gave me a fitbit and they also have one and can check what I'm doing as well. It's great when I do more than them.

We're in similar situations. I'm 68 and over the last 10 years or more my life had become more and more sedentary (and stressful) and I was less and less fit. So I started from a really low level and am aiming for 10,000 steps.

But what I'm finding is that I can do more than 10,000 maybe 3 times a week by going out for a long walk to somewhere really nice (or somewhere that I think's interesting), and maybe half of that on the days in between. Like you, I've got a fitness monitor (a Garmin Vivosmart - Argos's cheapest!), and think it's magic. The feedback it gives you is a wonderful nudge to walk some more, and a wonderful reward when you beat your own goal. I'm simple to please!

Reactions: 4 people

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
I have lost the alerts, you've all been clocking up the miles while I've been missing! I did five miles on Sunday plus a dog walk (not my dog). Yesterday was 30 minutes again and today a wash out due to endless meetings.

Annieok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Back in the office yesterday and today so managed 12,000 steps and 11,000 respectively. I'm at home tomorrow and should take delivery of my new wellies! I can't wait to get back out walking in the woods. We have a National Trust property nearby with some lovely trails to an old watermill but can be quite boggy in places.

Reactions: 5 people

JenniferW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Back in the office yesterday and today so managed 12,000 steps and 11,000 respectively. I'm at home tomorrow and should take delivery of my new wellies! I can't wait to get back out walking in the woods. We have a National Trust property nearby with some lovely trails to an old watermill but can be quite boggy in places.

How do you do 10,000 plus on a day when there's hours in the office?

Like you, I have a National Trust place not too far away with enormous parkland with woods, a deer park, gardens ... I try and do a weekly walk there now.

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
4 miles yesterday but not sure how I will keep this up as the weather gets worse.

Annieok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
How do you do 10,000 plus on a day when there's hours in the office?

Like you, I have a National Trust place not too far away with enormous parkland with woods, a deer park, gardens ... I try and do a weekly walk there now.
I walk to the station, then across central Manchester to the tram, around the office, between buildings and reverse

Annieok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry posted before I finished! It helps that our canteen is in another building and I have to go over there to eat lunch. I sometimes do a little lap of the Arndale shopping centre on my way home, just to get some extra steps in but it's dangerous for my wallet!

I've just come back from a two hour wet and windy romp through the woods so 7 kms done. I can have a hot shower, start work and not have to worry about exercise for the rest of the day!

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Back to the gym today. Hill walk on treadmill and weights after. All Ok with the weights today (no hypo) so still no idea what happened last time.

Reactions: 6 people

Safi

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all - mind if I join in?

Coming off an injury (one of those ones that hang around seemingly forever!) & trying to get my fitness back up.

Today I did 25mins yoga, 15mins shadow boxing & about 30mins cardio/strength training. Would really like to go for a walk in the fresh air but said fresh air is currently sitting at 34 stinking degrees so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that a sea breeze comes through before dusk :nailbiting:

Reactions: 9 people

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all - mind if I join in?

Coming off an injury (one of those ones that hang around seemingly forever!) & trying to get my fitness back up.

Today I did 25mins yoga, 15mins shadow boxing & about 30mins cardio/strength training. Would really like to go for a walk in the fresh air but said fresh air is currently sitting at 34 stinking degrees so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that a sea breeze comes through before dusk :nailbiting:

Welcome

4 miles gentle walking yesterday

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes, welcome, Safi. I walked for an hour in the rain, then did about 40 minutes weights today.

Annieok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Safi.

I did just under 5 miles today between meetings and running for trains. My lovely comfy Fly London boots though sprung a leak and my socks were soaked by the time I squelched home. Will have to buy another pair of boots that are smart enough for work but comfy for walking.

Safi

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the welcome @Hiitsme @RuthW & @Annieok (bummer about your boots!)

Didn't get a walk in late yesterday - the awful heat continued. Managed to get up v early this morning so got in 9km walking including some beach & some decent hills. Also managed a cheeky lunchtime kayak - only 40mins or so but the wind was up so it was a fair workout. Looking like we might get some rain now so I guess that's me done for the day.

Saturdays are always stupidly busy for me but I usually get a late afternoon walk in - fingers crossed on the weather once again :)

JenniferW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Back to the gym today. Hill walk on treadmill and weights after. All Ok with the weights today (no hypo) so still no idea what happened last time.

Were you someone who used to go to a gym before you took this on as part of diabetes management?