Regular moderate exercise log

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Today I started a Couch to 5k. And promptly realized how *very* unfit I am in cardio-vascular terms! Never mind. I have taken the first steps.....

Reactions: 8 people

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Were you someone who used to go to a gym before you took this on as part of diabetes management?
Hi JenniferW, yes I was active in 20s (aerobics), gave up in 30s when I got married and had daughter as life, love and work too hectic, then began again at 38. Diagnosed at 42. So perhaps it delayed things?

Reactions: 2 people

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Yesterday was 50 min brisk rain walk. Today about six miles. Tomorrow a trip to the tip with waste from the kitchen and then stuck at a kid's party, perhaps there'll be dancing?

Reactions: 3 people

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yesterday was 50 min brisk rain walk. Today about six miles. Tomorrow a trip to the tip with waste from the kitchen and then stuck at a kid's party, perhaps there'll be dancing?
You'll have to teach them some crazy game like British Bulldog, and join in! Of course, depending on who is giving the party, that could make you either very popular, or very unpopular. ;)

Safi

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yesterday's threatened rain didn't eventuate so I managed to sneak in another 4km walk before dinner.

Busy indoors today (boo hiss - gorgeous weather!) so only managed a 5km walk but did do 30mins yoga/strength/resistance training & 15mins boxing this morning.

Less busy tomorrow so hoping for more lovely weather.

Safi

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Today I started a Couch to 5k. And promptly realized how *very* unfit I am in cardio-vascular terms! Never mind. I have taken the first steps.....

Have you seen this www.fitnessblender.com site @RuthW - you might find something there to help with your cardio training. Be a good one for rainy days methinks :)

JenniferW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Explain ... what's a 'Couch to 5k'? Somme sort of plan / programme?

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Explain ... what's a 'Couch to 5k'? Somme sort of plan / programme?
It's a program to take you from couch potato to being able to run 5km. There are lots of them available online, or through app stores. You start off alternating walking and running for about a minute a time, and gradually increase the running time. I haven't run in years. I used to cycle every day but it's fifteen years since I stopped that so my fitness needs some work, obviously.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
It's a program to take you from couch potato to being able to run 5km. There are lots of them available online, or through app stores. You start off alternating walking and running for about a minute a time, and gradually increase the running time. I haven't run in years. I used to cycle every day but it's fifteen years since I stopped that so my fitness needs some work, obviously.
Impressed. I'm battling snow here today so not doing very well on my plan to get kitchen waste to tip - even took refuge in cleaning!

JenniferW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
... I haven't run in years. I used to cycle every day but it's fifteen years since I stopped ... .

Well, I've not run since seconday school, 50 years ago, and I was rubbish at it then! Cycling every day? Maybe back in the 1980s? You think you're unfit?

Safi

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've done some of their workouts. Like the fact you can pick fitness level and equipment.

May have to do some today if I can summon the motivation.

Had planned a bike ride, hill/beach walk & a kayak - got up at 5am raring to go & it's raining :bigtears:

Did some yoga but not feeling at all zen!

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Couch to 5k are some very good programmes to either start or get back into running. My sister used something similar to get to the Great South Run.

Nothing organised for me today, just completing the winterising of the bonsai so lots of lifting and shifting of some very awkwardly balanced and weighted pots/trees weighing up to about 30-35kg

Reactions: 4 people

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sat on the sofa knitting all day! It's so cold! Tomorrow I'll do something!

Reactions: 6 people

Safi

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well yesterday was a complete bust - ended up doing sod all after the yoga!

Trying to atone today so did 30min yoga/strength/resistance & 15mins boxing this morning then a 30min low impact cardio routine & 30min on the bike trainer this afternoon.

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It's all good. Even just the yoga is good. That's our aim. Regular moderate exercise!
Today I walked for about forty minutes. I basically legged it round the Oxford St area looking for the running gear I wanted. So some breaks for trying things on!
Then I came home (to my son's place) and did about forty minutes of weights.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Yesterday was a brisk walk and today I was stuck in meetings all day including over lunch. :-(

Reactions: 6 people