High all day

Emma2688

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It was 8.7 first thing.. I think increasing my levemir has helped. As normally have double figured readings in the morning. Managed to do another night reading which was 9.2. Think I'm slowly getting there!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

-Artemis-

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hey, no worries!

Have you night-time tested at all? If not, I strongly suggest doing so. As you take your Levemir at 10pm, I would test at 00.00, 02.00, 04.00 and then at 06.00. This will give you some indication as to what the levemir is doing to you at night.

The good news is that the insulin is working. The question is, just how well? It could be sending you low (according to your body's revised settings as to what low actually is**) or it may be that it's just not enough. Without the 2-hourly tests, none of us will know and you and your DSN will be just guessing what to do next.

I'd also run a basal test for two evenings to see what's happening to your evening levels with just the levemir: your daytime levemir could be running out too soon or it could be too much, or your I:C ratio is out for your evening meal, which is then sending you high, or low with a subsequent rebound.

**Your body will reset it's boundaries for hypoglycaemia if you've been running consistently high for a period of time. If your average has been 12, then your hypo warnings could be around 9mmol/l - therefore, if your night-time levemir drops you down to (say) 6mmol/l in the middle of the night, your body may react thinking it's going hypo and then chuck out glycogen and force a rebound.

One clue to this is: when you wake up in the morning, do you feel like you have had no sleep and a bad hangover in the morning?

Hey @ConradJ - this is *exactly* how I wake feel most mornings... I swear I feel more like I've been out on the lash now than I did when I used to actually stay out all night partying! :s

... I'm not sure what you're saying this hungover feeling suggests though...?

Does this suggest my body is chucking out glycogen in the night...? As I've suspected that might be the case for a long time now... Fascinated to hear more as what you've said so far is really interesting...

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It was 8.7 first thing.. I think increasing my levemir has helped. As normally have double figured readings in the morning. Managed to do another night reading which was 9.2. Think I'm slowly getting there!

How is it going. Getting better?

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Well, that's a rather one-dimensional review of someone without access to all the facts and variables! :rolleyes:

Balancing diabetes can be one hell of a mountain to climb if your life is not structured around the Mon-Fri 9-5, 3-meals a day, I only drive 2 hours after eating and bolusing scenario. And then if you chuck in other aspects like illness and/or stress, etc., you can forget your "If you can wait 4 hours until the last dose has worn off..."

For example, I'll test first thing in the morning, then maybe get a chance to do a little exercise, then have breakfast, etc., but some mornings I need to drive less than 2 hours after eating and bolusing. So, I test my BG and guess what? Yes, you got it, I'll be way above my target range!

Well, if you're struggling with control you can easily get blinded by and lost in the sheer volume of data - and so, if you're not perfect (and who is?), you can find yourself reacting and over-reacting to BG results that really shouldn't be recorded,but have to because DVLA require it.

Yes, I know, one could have a second meter specifically for the car, but then you may have to find a GP who's willing to prescribe more than one set of strips (if the meters aren't the same)... and you'll have to remember to order them as they run low (or maybe you'll have to buy them), and what if that meter is not so accurate because you're faced with buying them and you're not a big earner and so you go for a low-cost model?

One size does not fit all.

Yes, getting back to basics is an essential element to gaining and retaining control, BUT it is not as easy or as straightforward for everyone as your reply implies.
Sorry if my response offended you it wasn't intended to, it was supposed to help you. It was just a simple way if looking at things - responding on this forum is supposed to give help and guidance. If it helps at least one person them that's great. I live with type 1 also I know it's a battle with constant variables and a one size doesn't fit all - please be more respectful of this as we are only here to help each other.

Reactions: 2 people

SpikeThacker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't really know to be honest
Just come crashing down and had a hypo :-( ugh enough for one day!!
are you still in the honeymoon period? only asked because i am, and i've just had to drop my morning insulin because it seems that whatever insulin my beta cells are knocking out, it seems to be first thing in the morning, so i was getting hypo's at about 1030. hope this helps

humaject

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
NOT ALOT
never go to bed after injecting that many times for fear of sleeptime hypo

ConradJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The hassle and ignorance of diabetes.
Hey @ConradJ - this is *exactly* how I wake feel most mornings... I swear I feel more like I've been out on the lash now than I did when I used to actually stay out all night partying! :s

... I'm not sure what you're saying this hungover feeling suggests though...?

Does this suggest my body is chucking out glycogen in the night...? As I've suspected that might be the case for a long time now... Fascinated to hear more as what you've said so far is really interesting...

Hi @-Artemis- ,

Sorry for the delayed reply...

There are two possibilities to the hungover scenario:
  1. Dawn phenomenon (http://www.diabetes.co.uk/blood-glucose/dawn-phenomenon.html)
  2. Somogyi effect / rebound (http://www.diabetes.co.uk/blood-glucose/somogyi-phenomenon.html)
In my experience, it's the latter that results in the hangover, but running a couple of night-time basal tests (yes, I know) is the only way to find out... unless your local Health Trust / CCG can loan you a CGM for a few weeks (or fund one for six months).

I hope things are improving for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

ConradJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The hassle and ignorance of diabetes.
Sorry if my response offended you it wasn't intended to, it was supposed to help you. It was just a simple way if looking at things - responding on this forum is supposed to give help and guidance. If it helps at least one person them that's great. I live with type 1 also I know it's a battle with constant variables and a one size doesn't fit all - please be more respectful of this as we are only here to help each other.

Hi @Juicyj ,

Your post didn't offend me, so there's no need to apologise! However, your first line in your reply

Having good control doesn't have to be so difficult, it's just a case of going through the basics again

came across as being rather indifferent / insensitive to the difficulties @Emma2688 was / is having with regaining control. Hence my 'well blow me if it's so easy' aghast post.

Anyway, water under the bridge now.... with best wishes.

-Artemis-

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Thanks @ConradJ ! I've started insulin and switched to Levemir since this post... doing lots of basal testing at the mo; oh the joys! At the moment the switch seems to have made my numbers generally go up - but it's only day four on Levimir so still testing.... good advice though for once I'm a bit more stable - thank you :)

Zoe king

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Today I just can't get my sugars down
Hasn't come below 12 :-(
Have injected plenty of times possibly around 7 / 8. Times. Feel like giving up and going to bed
Anyone else get high days like this??
Hi "high"lady I find I run high when I'm not well or my body knows I'm not well eg oncoming cold-urine infection .etc the other reason is I hadn't been closely watching my food and was exceeding my carbs like the days you treat yourself a little but try to tell yourself it's ok,if you have a treat,treat your body with a bit extra make up fast acting now and again it's ok your still human,good luck

Zoe king

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi .
I can relate to this!
Some days I can't get my bloods below 12/13 and just seem to be injecting insulin constantly.
My last day like this seen me taking probably treble the amount of insulin I would normally take!
Have spoken to diabetic nurse but they were unable to provide any realistic explanations as to why this happens.
Guess it's just one of those things.
Keep testing every hour or so until the readings come down, and they will eventually.
Good luck.
Hi high lady- I'm worried for you you seem to be trying again and again but getting nowhere.do you have a hospital consultant if so can you get to see him/her look on your hospital letters if you have them get the consultants name ring hospital ask for his secretary and push to be seen.its been going on a long time and high levels don't do your body any good good luck.