How well are you maintaining your ideal weight?

peacetrain

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't drink alcohol so that's not an option for increased calories. I'm 10lbs away from my goal of 11st 7lb . That's the top end of my weight range so I guess if I go below that no harm done. The trouble is friends and colleagues are saying I've gone far enough. Most didn't know me in my former days of 10st . Although the fat distribution is different now. I used to be a pear and now I don't have the hips but a thicker waist. I have to get the waist measurement down as it's 35 inches.
I'm hoping I'll get to a natural point where the weight will stop reducing. Since August 2013 it's consistently reduced without any problem. I guess I've been lucky. I can't believe I'm now worried I may lose too much!!! Silly!!!

Reactions: 2 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't drink alcohol so that's not an option for increased calories. I'm 10lbs away from my goal of 11st 7lb . That's the top end of my weight range so I guess if I go below that no harm done. The trouble is friends and colleagues are saying I've gone far enough. Most didn't know me in my former days of 10st . Although the fat distribution is different now. I used to be a pear and now I don't have the hips but a thicker waist. I have to get the waist measurement down as it's 35 inches.
I'm hoping I'll get to a natural point where the weight will stop reducing. Since August 2013 it's consistently reduced without any problem. I guess I've been lucky. I can't believe I'm now worried I may lose too much!!! Silly!!!

Although I never carried a massive amount of weight, I never, ever had much of a waist. Curiously, at the very latter stages of weightloss, my wist has whittled. I went through a stage where I couldn't stop looking at it. It was very, oh so very odd.

Reactions: 3 people

JohnD54

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rice
Had to go to M&S today to get a new suit for this week, with my wife naturally (she has the dress sense that by passed me) even she was surprised when the lady suggested slim fit suit and shirt, never been slim fit since I was in my teens, and still 2.1/2 stone above min Wight for height and age. BMI is in my opinion only a guideline if I went down to the bottom end of healthy BMI range for me it would be 9st 7lbs, I weighed more than that when I was 14 and fighting fit. We will see .

Reactions: 4 people

alliebee

Well I'm not sure how it is happening esp as I've increased food over past few days but I've lost another 2 lbs...this leaves me 1 lb off goal. Everyone warned me but I was just so thrilled to have lost my 2 stone over 11 to 12 weeks. I never took it seriously...so question is do I up carbs a bit more..on average now of 45g a day..or nuts and cheese. Any suggestions? My bgs are good in the day av 5.8. And morning fasting av of 7....so still need to bring those down a bit. So maybe increase fats. Ie rich creamy salad dressings. More butter or olive oil. I already eat avocados...bit stumped here

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well I'm not sure how it is happening esp as I've increased food over past few days but I've lost another 2 lbs...this leaves me 1 lb off goal. Everyone warned me but I was just so thrilled to have lost my 2 stone over 11 to 12 weeks. I never took it seriously...so question is do I up carbs a bit more..on average now of 45g a day..or nuts and cheese. Any suggestions? My bgs are good in the day av 5.8. And morning fasting av of 7....so still need to bring those down a bit. So maybe increase fats. Ie rich creamy salad dressings. More butter or olive oil. I already eat avocados...bit stumped here

I hate to say we warned you!!! I was absolutely stunned when it happened to me.

In the end, I upped my portion size, in general, working on the basis the food was suiting me, so I'd just have a bit more of it...... Then I tried fats, then fatty cabs, then alcohol! I couldn't be sure it was in exactly that order, as time passes.

I have ended up a bit slighter than I ideally wanted to, and keep think I'll gain, but thus far it hasn't happened.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you increase your carbs a bit more, how will you do this? Will you add something back that you have avoided or increase portions? Have you done any experiments in this respect to see what it does to your post meal readings?

What would be the more sustainable for you, to add back something you have missed, or to increase fats? As it is a lifetime diet, you need to do what is right for you, and something that you can sustain forever.

alliebee

Lol you did warn me. I've never in my life wanted to stop losing. Lol. Its a bit of a mind f*** ahem...will be very nice experimenting. Off to buy red wine. Nice cheese n nuts. Oh happy days. Lol

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
i,m still having problems with actual weight lose, i was convinced i had lost weight when i got weighed last week but stayed the same.
however my clothes are definatley looser

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Lol you did warn me. I've never in my life wanted to stop losing. Lol. Its a bit of a mind f*** ahem...will be very nice experimenting. Off to buy red wine. Nice cheese n nuts. Oh happy days. Lol

After crowing that my weight has now stabilised, I find I have lost another pound in addition to normal fluctuations. Therefore I withdraw from giving further advice. Lol.

alliebee

I shall still be coming to you for advice Blue. How long now have you been trying to maintain ? Are you many pounds under your target?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I shall still be coming to you for advice Blue. How long now have you been trying to maintain ? Are you many pounds under your target?

I preach a lot, but fall short of practising what I preach I'm afraid. :(

I started trying to maintain at the start of September when I had a small leeway. Since then I have lost a further 5 or 6lbs. I can't afford to keep losing any more. (literally - it is costing me a fortune in new clothes!) I am 2 or 3lbs under my minimum desired weight, although still with a "normal" BMI of 21.8. Another piece of fried bread for tea may help ... it does very little to my BS, and of course another small glass of red. I wish nuts liked me.

alliebee

I wish now I had taken on board what you advised about starting to think about maintaining. I just never dreamed id lose 2 stone so fast. I've always struggled before. Goodness you have done so well though...lol at the new clothes though. I'm looking forward to getting some new things soon...

Reactions: 4 people

anvi

Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
Diet only
Maintaining a healthy weight is important for overall health and can help you prevent and control many diseases and conditions.If you are overweight or obese, you are at higher risk of developing serious health problems.

alliebee

I'm trying to maintain my weight now I'm at target after lchf. Raising fats a little and gone up to 50g of carbs a day from 20g to 35 to 40 g. So far so good no raises in bg and I have to say I feel carb rich right now...its amazing how you manage on low low carbs. Mind you apart from yoghurt I can't have carbs for breakfast. Rich I'm rich I tell you!!!! 10 more gms is lots lol

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done on getting to target weight. I hope you maintain it more easily than I'm doing. I lost some more today and have gone under 9 stones for the first time in 30 years and I don't like it! I'm hoping by adding those new sausages to my fry ups will help some more. I haven't increased my carbs as I'm already on 60 to 65g. I've never dropped below that amount.

alliebee

Its really hard isn't it..let's hope the sausages manage to help you put some on...it must be very frustrating. Do you like cheese? Maybe a few cubes of different cheeses on a plate to nibble as a dessert? Lchf does suppress the appetite I'm finding..like you I don't snack between meals. And there is only so much you can eat .. good luck I hope you find a way

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks Allie. Yes I eat cheese every day at some point. I always have about 50g with my salads. I am thinking of increasing that a bit. I've never eaten cheese before - ever - so I don't really know how much is "normal" in a day.

alliebee

Its going to be a long hard journey to maintain I think its not so easy esp as more protein is turned into glucose I'm finding. I'm not mad keen on nuts either. Maybe a portion of melted butter and or cheese on my popcorn?? I'm so pleased I found I can eat homemade popcorn. I do it with coconut oil

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Nuts don't like me I'm afraid. I try every now and again but they just make me heave and always have. I could never eat Christmas Cake if it had almond paste on it! No way round it, it's going to have to be more wine!