Daily Express

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Reactions: 5 people
A

Avocado Sevenfold

Well I have been vegetarian for 35 years and like many other veggies have been quite carb dependant as a substitute for meat.
I have actually been thinking about going back to eating meat recently, as my weight is a major problem since diagnosis. BMI is 18.
I am having major problems getting my head round the thought of getting dead animal down my throat though (no disrespect to meat eaters intended).
This article is a load of rubbish Imo, but unfortunately there will be diabetics who haven't been fortunate enough to discover this forum, read it, start eating differently and make their condition worse.
Oh Dear, oh dear.
Sad to read you feel that way. I know it is not something you would do lightly. If there is anything I can do to help, let me know.

I agree that the article is rubbish :(

Reactions: 5 people

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well I have been vegetarian for 35 years and like many other veggies have been quite carb dependant as a substitute for meat.
I have actually been thinking about going back to eating meat recently, as my weight is a major problem since diagnosis. BMI is 18.
I am having major problems getting my head round the thought of getting dead animal down my throat though (no disrespect to meat eaters intended).
This article is a load of rubbish Imo, but unfortunately there will be diabetics who haven't been fortunate enough to discover this forum, read it, start eating differently and make their condition worse.
Oh Dear, oh dear.
@Brunneria has given you good advice with regard to getting great ideas and recipes from @Avocado Sevenfold
I was the opposite from you in the sense of being a meat eater etc; for a lifetime. When I got diagnosed with type 2, I then went on this vegan type diet and it has worked well with my controls etc;
I hope nobody will be stupid enough to read a newspaper clip to solve their diabetes.
I think the people on this Forum seem to lay true cards on the table with regards to facts.
Many said LCHF was rubbish, not now.

Last edited by a moderator:

beardie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh Dear, oh dear.
go for it.

poshtotty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Methinks you're milking this confused stuff a tad too much....

masonbason63

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Being type 1, my health and what really grates me are false people who make themselves out to be something when their not
Nope didn't buy it in the end, read your links and thought there are better things to waste my money on, this is scaremongering at its best I'm well into fish bacon and any type of meats that I can eat, I've never liked pasta or anything like that. My son became a vegetarian last Christmas and is into Quorn and it looks and tastes disgusting, (no offence to veggies or vegans everyone to their own). So I'll stick to my Low Carb diet as best as I can. :)

AlexMBrennan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've read the article again and it seems to talk about a vegetable diet rather than a vegetarian diet which would be vegetables AND carbs, if I'm not mistaken. So if you only ate vegetables and we all know how good that is (I eat loads), minus the carby ones, potato being obvious, then it would help with your BG numbers.
For the last time, NO. This study found that if you feed people non-meat diet (with loads of carbs) then hba1c goes down by 0.5% (e.g. If it was 7% or 53 befor, it will on average be 6.5% or 47 afterwards).
The fact that this baffles you is of no consequence - for choosing which intervention is best, you might as well assume that it's magic pills made from fairy dust. An intervention making sense is neither neccessarily nor suffient (if you disagree, make sure to refuse anesthesia the next time you have major surgery)