Type 2's: What was your fasting blood glucose in a morning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WeeFergus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty to humans and animals.
Tesco or Sainsbury sell it. It is nice but pricey, I prefer Alpro coconut yoghurt personally :)

Thanks pavlovsdog. My yoghurt was Rachel's organic Greek Style coconut at 10.4g carbs per 100g. Tonight I used Morrison's own plain Greek Style at 5.1g per 100g.(but got a much worse reading with the same Granola and frozen berries). I'll give both your suggestions a try. My next yoghurt is Fage Total.at 3.8 per 100g.

Reactions: 7 people

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well, I checked what Granola it was (Jordans Crunchy Oat (Fruit & Nut)) and the carbs are listed as 64.6 per 100g. Therefore I had approximately 33g carbohydatre. That did seem a lot so, as I've only had one meal today (97% sausages and roasted onions, pepper and mushrooms), I decided to do another experiment tonight. 1 hour ago my reading was 5.2 and 1 hour after eating it was 9.2. Actually my first reading was 9.6 but I immediately did another that was 9.2 so perhaps 9.4 is a realistic reading. I'll check again in another hour but I might have to leave it at that as I turn into a pumpkin around midnight.

The only difference (as far as I know) is that my previous Granola was for breakfast and this is in the evening. I assume that shouldn't have given such different results.

I really appreciate your advice as I'm fairly new to all this and my first check with the DN at my GP's isn't until April. I'm really trying to get my BG down and not have to take the threatened medication.

Clutching at straws, I see I'm using Batch 61 testing strips!

Hi Wee Fergus,
Jordans is just down the road from us, about 6 mile, and Mr Jordan, who has only one leg, often flies his helicopter into his home at Great Barford right by the river.

I can say, I was caught out exactly the same with Granola even after I was diagnosed was still eating it just didn't realize until I started the testing.

For me and as a 'Rule of Thumb' more than 10 carbs for m,e for a particular food is no good, I get away with 1 slice of Seed Sensations Bread at 13carbs but 2 slices or any thing that had additional carbs then the figure start to rise. more than I would like.

I have for breakfast (if its not cooked) Full Fat Yogurt (Tescos) mxs some single cream to dilute very slightly, sprinkle Plain Flaxseed, some you can get from lidl which is a cereal topping, a sprinkling of granola and some berries.

Bare in mind some people on here are only having 50 carbs per day divided by 3/4 meals, your 33g is already more than half of that.

Hope this helps, and reaches you before you are 'Pumkinised'

Neil

Reactions: 6 people

WeeFergus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi Wee Fergus,
Jordans is just down the road from us, about 6 mile, and Mr Jordan, who has only one leg, often flies his helicopter into his home at Great Barford right by the river.

I can say, I was caught out exactly the same with Granola even after I was diagnosed was still eating it just didn't realize until I started the testing.

For me and as a 'Rule of Thumb' more than 10 carbs for m,e for a particular food is no good, I get away with 1 slice of Seed Sensations Bread at 13carbs but 2 slices or any thing that had additional carbs then the figure start to rise. more than I would like.

I have for breakfast (if its not cooked) Full Fat Yogurt (Tescos) mxs some single cream to dilute very slightly, sprinkle Plain Flaxseed, some you can get from lidl which is a cereal topping, a sprinkling of granola and some berries.

Bare in mind some people on here are only having 50 carbs per day divided by 3/4 meals, your 33g is already more than half of that.

Hope this helps, and reaches you before you are 'Pumkinised'

Neil

Thanks Neil. Still to do the 2 hour test and not yet a pumpkin.

Reactions: 4 people

WeeFergus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Thanks Neil. Still to do the 2 hour test and not yet a pumpkin.

Well, the 2 hour reading was 7.5 so I guess I need to ditch the Granola or just use a sprinkle.

Goodnight and thanks again.

Reactions: 11 people

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well, the 2 hour reading was 7.5 so I guess I need to ditch the Granola or just use a sprinkle.

Goodnight and thanks again.
Yeah, Good Night Wee Fergus

A different breakfast tomorrow, it's does get better.

Neil

Reactions: 6 people

kimbo1962

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
5.7 this morning- up and getting ready to return to my desk at the holiday centre, first day of 2015 season here we go!!
Lots to catch up on here later too.....

Reactions: 17 people

loulou99782

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
7.0 this morning chest been grumpy over night I wish the weather would make up its mind

Reactions: 15 people

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
7.5 and almost a stone put on since i went on Insulin sighssssss:meh:

Reactions: 17 people

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes and ulcerative colitis.... :) Rude people... Violence.... and the amount of time I spend away from my beautiful family in the UK...
What is CoYo ? Where do you get it? I love coconut.
It's yoghurt made from coconut milk WF... it's live, which is great, and it is 'heaven in a mouthful'... the only problem I have with it, is stopping myself from eating huge amounts of it... :) I got mine in Waitrose.. I think you can get it in other places but I haven't been looking for it till now..

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes and ulcerative colitis.... :) Rude people... Violence.... and the amount of time I spend away from my beautiful family in the UK...
Sorry I thought you had tested yourselves after drinking doohh silly me
Me too... :oops: Had never thought of testing a product itself, instead of blood... how odd... Can it work?

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Nooooooo! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
I'd be dead If I did that :dead::dead::dead::hilarious:
My son did some research and tells me that if you cook the pasta twice, I assume you almost cook it, let it go cold and refresh in boiling water, it has considerably less carbs... maybe I'll try it and see how I go... Jaffa Cakes... They are so low in everything it might be ok? I'm afraid to try it...:happy:

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reactions: 2 people

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I am in Munich visiting my grandchildren... I forgot my meter, and when I went to the pharmacy to buy some strips for the meter that lives in my suitcase, I bought the strips for the meter that's sitting at home instead... sigh... So I cannot tell what my reading is, but I'll guess 5.4... :)

loulou99782

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I am in Munich visiting my grandchildren... I forgot my meter, and when I went to the pharmacy to buy some strips for the meter that lives in my suitcase, I bought the strips for the meter that's sitting at home instead... sigh... So I cannot tell what my reading is, but I'll guess 5.4... :)
Opps easy done my Meyer lives in a toiletries bag with my asthma pumps and spacer I can't go very far without them.

Reactions: 2 people
Status
Not open for further replies.