One year on from more fat

vit90

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Snacking on nuts is my current weakness :D I suppose there are worse vices!

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Avocados aren't an essential element you know, they weren't even cultivated on Crete in the 60s so they certainly won't have been eaten. The various diets around the Med include lots of seasonable veg. Winter veg such as cauliflower, cabbages, leeks, onions and carrots were very much part of their diet at the right time of year.
In fact they ate lots of greens amd are of course famous for using wild greens
A good substitute for wild greens in salads at this time of year is mache/ lambs lettuce which contains many of the same types of nutrients (it's cheap here but I think a bit more expensive in the UK)
I found quite a lot of good ideas on this blog heres what she says about veggies but there are lots more recipes. http://www.olivetomato.com/5-ways-to-eat-more-vegetables-the-greek-way/

Re weeds, You could even combine work with wild green gathering! Nettles and dandelions are common. You can find 'good king Henry' in many hedgerowsamd apparently used to be cultivated in England as a veg. Others include purslane and wild bryony shoot (all bits poisionous according to the English wiki, the French one says the shoots are eaten and it's very popular here ) I've tried them but find them very bitter.

Reactions: 2 people

iHs

i don't eat porridge as it really isn't something I can tolerate. Hubby just changed back to it though as easy to take a portion to work with him. He said last night though that after 3 dsys he is bored with it!!! In fact I don't eat breakfast very often unless hubby is home and makes something for me.

For me its something to put on my plate to eat as I just don't snack and after 50 years that really is just going to be too much for me to contend with. Perhaps I can add some more nuts to my dinner walnuts that I take with my vitamin tablets though. Will add some almonds on.. Although this is another thing my taste buds will have to adapt too as was given a sugar coated sort of almond as a kid and really never liked them since!

I think that my stomach has shrunk over the decades to just not giving signals to my brain for "feed me" :)

What a different shopping list I'm getting!

All nuts will cause weightgain if too many are eaten. The worst are probably cashews and peanuts and macadamia.

Re avacados. .....Aldi sell the nice mauve ones but the green ones are not that expensive at Asian supermarkets and can be ripened off with a banana in a bag and left for a few days.

As an alternative to the cream cheeses, try the bacon cheesey recipe again but use mashed up avacado to replace the cheese. Could work ok with tinned sardines

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Not sure why avocado oil is being recommended as it's really really expensive compared to olive oil, which as far as I can see has much the same properties?
There are issues with free radical release when heating Olive oil. You shouldn't really use it for high temperature cooking as olive oil has a relatively low smoke level and health benefits are lost beyond smoke point. Avocado oil has a higher smoke point (as does cold-pressed virgin rapeseed oil), and the result is fewer free radicals in the body when used for cooking.

vit90

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
All nuts will cause weightgain if too many are eaten. The worst are probably cashews and peanuts and macadamia.

Re avacados. .....Aldi sell the nice mauve ones but the green ones are not that expensive at Asian supermarkets and can be ripened off with a banana in a bag and left for a few days.

As an alternative to the cream cheeses, try the bacon cheesey recipe again but use mashed up avacado to replace the cheese. Could work ok with tinned sardines

Too much of anything will make you fat :) But the latest thinking is that nuts, especially almonds and peanuts (best not roasted) don't cause as much weight gain as indicated by their calorific load because the gut can't effectively digest and absorb all the fat as it's hard to get at. It's different if the nuts are processed as in peanut butter, where the nuts are ground down and cooked, which releases much more of the fat than chewing on uncooked nuts.

Last edited by a moderator:

vit90

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There are issues with free radical release when heating Olive oil. You shouldn't really use it for high temperature cooking as olive oil has a relatively low smoke level and health benefits are lost beyond smoke point. Avocado oil has a higher smoke point (as does cold-pressed virgin rapeseed oil), and the result is fewer free radicals in the body when used for cooking.

Completely agree, so I would recommend cold pressed rapeseed oil for frying and olive oil for adding for taste at the end of cooking if required and of course for salads. I am quite interested in macadamia nut oil as this is very low in Omega 6 and has a reasonably high smoking point but seems very hard to find and is quite pricey. I see contradictory data on the smoking point of coconut oil, incidentally. Now stopped using sunflower oil completely and use groundnut oil for deep frying, but it is still too high in Omega 6 for my liking. Avocado oil is just far too expensive in my view.

vit90

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Avocados aren't an essential element you know, they weren't even cultivated on Crete in the 60s so they certainly won't have been eaten. The various diets around the Med include lots of seasonable veg. Winter veg such as cauliflower, cabbages, leeks, onions and carrots were very much part of their diet at the right time of year.
In fact they ate lots of greens amd are of course famous for using wild greens
A good substitute for wild greens in salads at this time of year is mache/ lambs lettuce which contains many of the same types of nutrients (it's cheap here but I think a bit more expensive in the UK)
I found quite a lot of good ideas on this blog heres what she says about veggies but there are lots more recipes. http://www.olivetomato.com/5-ways-to-eat-more-vegetables-the-greek-way/

Re weeds, You could even combine work with wild green gathering! Nettles and dandelions are common. You can find 'good king Henry' in many hedgerowsamd apparently used to be cultivated in England as a veg. Others include purslane and wild bryony shoot (all bits poisionous according to the English wiki, the French one says the shoots are eaten and it's very popular here ) I've tried them but find them very bitter.

I have recently started using kale - very nice steamed - and am currently using different combinations of broccoli, kale, red/purple cabbabe (sautéed in butter and in home made coleslaw (plus home made mayo)), winter (now spring) greens, cauliflower and savoy cabbage - and lots of it! Almost forgot to mention spinach leaves - cooked and raw!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I eat salads 5/6 days a week.. Guess thats another thing to change! Eat more hot meals....:):):)
Only fry using coconut oil.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Too expensive to have 6/7 days that we eat salads...so going to try tinned oily fish today. This is new for me.... Always hated the smell let alone the taste.
Got up to a full avocado between us last night and loving my toasted piece of olive oil ciabatta. That is nice.

Got appt in 10 days time to find out the breakdown of the ldl/hdl and agreement to another test in May. So feel happier now..thinner though.. Weight still going down and really don't need this...will spend tonight putting in food for this week and gardening on MFP. Was stablised on dairy fat with weight. Can't afford 4lb in 4days.....

Thanks all for your help. Roll on May to next test.
Too expensive to have 6/7 days that we eat salads...so going to try tinned oily fish today. This is new for me.... Always hated the smell let alone the taste.
Got up to a full avocado between us last night and loving my toasted piece of olive oil ciabatta. That is nice.

Got appt in 10 days time to find out the breakdown of the ldl/hdl and agreement to another test in May. So feel happier now..thinner though.. Weight still going down and really don't need this...will spend tonight putting in food for this week and gardening on MFP. Was stablised on dairy fat with weight. Can't afford 4lb in 4days.....

Thanks all for your help. Roll on May to next test.

Can I ask why you are jumping in with changes before you know your breakdown? I just don't get it, but that's probably me, liking to make and changes based on full information.

Reactions: 4 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Solely because of hubbys results I guess.. If his total jumped and all his levels went wrong way and I know my trigs did I'm not prepared to wait till I see nurse next week to get the breakdown.
Am aware totally that we have different bodies but the same applies to cream and cheese.. Some may be able to handle it but I can't wait to 100% know. I have a 50% of being wrong, but I wouldnt want to be right and have waited a further two weeks.Simple as that.

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
DD @AndBreathe and I seem to be in accord. I really don't think you should panic yourself into doing anything drastic without a proper cholesterol/lipid breakdown. You need all the information. As they didn't do this for you, I'm sure they would give you another test rather than make you wait 6 months.
Or would you consider getting one done privately, testing for LDL particle size or particle numbers? See Peter Attia blog post on cholesterol - that's what we're really looking for. Only US labs do it, but to set yr mind at rest it might be worth it.

Peter Attia: it's quite long and hard going, but keep going and you'll come to the relevant bit. Also anything by K. Sikaris on YouTube.

The link:

vit90

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Or would you consider getting one done privately, testing for LDL particle size or particle numbers? See Peter Attia blog post on cholesterol - that's what we're really looking for. Only US labs do it, but to set yr mind at rest it might be worth it.

Peter Attia: it's quite long and hard going, but keep going and you'll come to the relevant bit. Also anything by K. Sikaris on YouTube.

The link:

Interesting, so of the figures we get routinely from our blood lipid tests it's triglycerides we need to keep low?

Reactions: 4 people

vit90

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The talk also enligtened me to the TG/HDL ratio so I looked for more information and found this:

http://www.docsopinion.com/2014/07/17/triglyceride-hdl-ratio/

There is a difference between the US figures and rest of world figures. From the article:

The Triglyceride/HDL Cholesterol Ratio. What Is Ideal?

The TG/HDL-C ratio can easily be calculated from the standard lipid profile. Just divide your TG by your HDL-C.

However, when looking at the ideal ratio you have to check if your lipid values are provided in mg/dl like in the US or in mmol/L like in Canada and most European countries.

If lipid values are expressed as mg/dl (like in the US);

TG/HDL-C ratio less than 2 is ideal

TG/HDL-C ratio above 4 is too high

TG/HDL-C ratio above 6 is much too high

If you live outside the US or are using mmol/L, you have to multiply this ratio by 0.4366 in order to attain the correct reference values. You can also multiply your ratio by 2.3 and use the reference values above.

If lipid values are expressed as mmol/L (like in Canada and Europe);

TG/HDL-C ratio less than 0.87 is ideal

TG/HDL-C ratio above 1.74 is too high

TG/HDL-C ratio above 2.62 is much too high

So I calculated my own (starting point blood test from nearly four months ago) TG/HDL ratio as 1.15 - which is not bad but can be improved. Hopefully this should be better after my next test as I have been working hard on the diet, losing weight and improving fitness and insulin sensitivity.

Be careful - I orginally posted my calculation the wrong way around (and had an 'ideal' result!) - you divide the TG figure by the HDL one.

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Interesting, so of the figures we get routinely from our blood lipid tests it's triglycerides we need to keep low?
That's what I take away from it, yes. Tho I'm just a punter.

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
If you live outside the US or are using mmol/L, you have to multiply this ratio by 0.4366 in order to attain the correct reference values. You can also multiply your ratio by 2.3 and use the reference values above.
Oof. Yes! You can also use an online converter though - that's what I did last week when I was checking this.

http://www.endmemo.com/medical/unitconvert/Cholesterol.php

They also do one for triglycerides.

LSW

vit90

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Attia's message also casts considerable doubt on the value in plant sterols (in things like Flora Pro Active spread) and possibly even statins.

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Attia's message also casts considerable doubt on the value in plant sterols (in things like Flora Pro Active spread) and possibly even statins.
Yes.

He is the most detailed, most technical of all the blood chemistry people I've listened to/read (actually he's a surgeon not a blood chemistry person, but he has genned up properly). So I'm inclined to pay attention.

But Ken Sikaris (who doesn't disagree) is one of the world number one blood chemists.

I can't process the difficult stuff Attia talks about. But if I were really bothered I'd try and get an LDL particle count.

vit90

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes.

He is the most detailed, most technical of all the blood chemistry people I've listened to/read (actually he's a surgeon not a blood chemistry person, but he has genned up properly). So I'm inclined to pay attention.

But Ken Sikaris (who doesn't disagree) is one of the world number one blood chemists.

I can't process the difficult stuff Attia talks about. But if I were really bothered I'd try and get an LDL particle count.

What I like about his viewpoint is that a) he isn't selling anything (AFAIK) and b) his interest in the subject is driven by his own health concerns. He also seems to have the right connections.

However, I do feel like asking him what he thinks of the debate about what kind of fats to consume and if the concerns about Omega 6/3 and DHA ratios, etc. are real. I read in his blog that he not only limits carb consumption but the types of carbs but there is no mention I have seen so far about the types of fat he recommends.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
What I like about his viewpoint is that a) he isn't selling anything (AFAIK) and b) his interest in the subject is driven by his own health concerns. He also seems to have the right connections.

However, I do feel like asking him what he thinks of the debate about what kind of fats to consume and if the concerns about Omega 6/3 and DHA ratios, etc. are real. I read in his blog that he not only limits carb consumption but the types of carbs but there is no mention I have seen so far about the types of fat he recommends.
He may not be selling anything directly . He is certainly earning a good income from NUSI which he and Gary Taubes set up .https://www.citizenaudit.org/454676706/ (2nd pdf has the amount edit 1st one has the most recent)
Very few people, except a few fabulous rich philanthropists and those who probably have too much time and very little influence do anything without some sort of payment. .