One year on from more fat

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@azure thankyou.. Today was day two and the salad was so tasty again to be honest. Taste buds adapted..hope the 2nd carton of olives going to be just as easy to adapt too.
I can't bear the thought of olives from jars yet though, so will keep persevering with these ones for the future.
Not yet raving about avocado or olives but give it time. I will be raving if my results come down!

@donnellysdogs Olives in jars can be fine - or repulsive! I do use them for cooking sometimes, or if I run out of deli ones. They don't taste the same, but in cooking they're normally ok once you find a reliable brand.

I had another thought about avocados - maybe you could try some guacamole? Again, buy a tub from the deli. I like a dollop as a relish or on tacos or fajitas. If you don't want the carbs from those, you could always have them without the taco shells or wraps. I make a nice salmon fajita. Full of healthy fats and fresh veg. I prefer it to chicken or beef.

Reactions: 2 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Thankyou @azure. Was thinking of making own guacomole (can't spell!)

How is it best to keep 1/2 an avocado without it going brown? Any ideas? Still on 1/4 portion each at moment and the other 1/2 went brown overnight despite using some lemon juice!!

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I saw this and thought of you.
As videos seem to be all the rage decided to add my contribution . It covers a lot about why I like a Med style diet. ( part serious, first 2 min and last minute or so, the rest fun. .I )

Reactions: 6 people

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Apologies if I'm posting an article already posted - I find these long threads really hard going at times.

You might find the following interview (both audio version and transcript) with Dr Aseem Malhotra helpful:
http://www.biznews.com/lchf-health-...ranean-diet-is-heart-healthy-if-its-high-fat/

Prof Tim Noakes says that the really important lipid measurement is oxidised LDL, but no HCPs are measuring that.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Mine got missed off from my report they printed, so will be seeing them when go to my appointment next week.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
@donnellysdogs

Lite brush (the half) with (lite) olive oil (seals it from the air) and keep in an airtight container in the fridge.

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Apologies if I'm posting an article already posted - I find these long threads really hard going at times.

You might find the following interview (both audio version and transcript) with Dr Aseem Malhotra helpful:
http://www.biznews.com/lchf-health-...ranean-diet-is-heart-healthy-if-its-high-fat/

Prof Tim Noakes says that the really important lipid measurement is oxidised LDL, but no HCPs are measuring that.

Thanks for posting the link Indy51, very interesting.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yet another video,this time on stopiing avocados from browining.PS if you don't want to watch putting it with bits of cut up onion was the most successful.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Cling wrap works as well .....but not for that long regrettably. They sell here from anywhere between $1 and $4

They SHOULD keep well in a colder climate. Dunno whether they do

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Its only to stop them going brown overnight until I can face 1/2 one each at each meal.... Still building up to that.

Expensive though if it going to be 90p or a £1 each day just for an avocado!!

Finished the pimento stuffed olives last night got ones tonight with manchengo??

Can cope with buying olive oil as a customer imports it from Greece so can buy huge amounts of the cold pressed extra virgin.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thankyou @azure. Was thinking of making own guacomole (can't spell!)

How is it best to keep 1/2 an avocado without it going brown? Any ideas? Still on 1/4 portion each at moment and the other 1/2 went brown overnight despite using some lemon juice!!

I keep the stone in and use lemon juice. I put it face down on a plate. It does still go a bit brown though but I just eat it or cut off the very top layer with the brown.

As I think a previous poster said, olive oil or salad dressing can help. I've put the remains of a salad in the fridge and the avocado bits have been ok the next day.

Edited to add - I normally just eat the whole thing though. Had one on my salad tonight : )

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Too expensive to have 6/7 days that we eat salads...so going to try tinned oily fish today. This is new for me.... Always hated the smell let alone the taste.
Got up to a full avocado between us last night and loving my toasted piece of olive oil ciabatta. That is nice.

Got appt in 10 days time to find out the breakdown of the ldl/hdl and agreement to another test in May. So feel happier now..thinner though.. Weight still going down and really don't need this...will spend tonight putting in food for this week and gardening on MFP. Was stablised on dairy fat with weight. Can't afford 4lb in 4days.....

Thanks all for your help. Roll on May to next test.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
just buy avocado oil :bag:

your weight may be just adjusting to your new diet and flushing fluid ?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
just buy avocado oil :bag:

your weight may be just adjusting to your new diet and flushing fluid ?

I'm a bit odd I think.. As I don't have full size dinner plate for my meal (inbetween a side plate and big plate) I like to see food on it...if it on a full size plate my food doesn't look enough. So thats why I like to see a food item rather than oil.

Will have to look up in a few mins whether avocado oil has more calories than olive oil in which case I will use avocado oil instead.

Although many people don't eat fruit I have started adding in a bowl of fresh fruit each evening from kiwi, melon, orange, mango, apple and pear. Bloods remain low after eating it but weight still going....mmmm. Perhaps could be fluids just going but I'm quite lean and muscly so havent really got much (any) fluid to lose.

Hubby the same actually with losing too and he's having porridge as non diabetic to reduce his dairy from the mixed fruits and full fat yogurt or cream he was having. Will have to go on to low carb recipes forum before meal tonight and have a look and the MFP to grab some more calorie intake from somewhere.

Its actually not easy to do when there is just no hunger or pangs or appetite for food....

More thinking...

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm a bit odd I think.. As I don't have full size dinner plate for my meal (inbetween a side plate and big plate) I like to see food on it...if it on a full size plate my food doesn't look enough. So thats why I like to see a food item rather than oil.

Will have to look up in a few mins whether avocado oil has more calories than olive oil in which case I will use avocado oil instead.

Although many people don't eat fruit I have started adding in a bowl of fresh fruit each evening from kiwi, melon, orange, mango, apple and pear. Bloods remain low after eating it but weight still going....mmmm. Perhaps could be fluids just going but I'm quite lean and muscly so havent really got much (any) fluid to lose.

Hubby the same actually with losing too and he's having porridge as non diabetic to reduce his dairy from the mixed fruits and full fat yogurt or cream he was having. Will have to go on to low carb recipes forum before meal tonight and have a look and the MFP to grab some more calorie intake from somewhere.

Its actually not easy to do when there is just no hunger or pangs or appetite for food....

More thinking...
I think a healthy mix of oils and fats are good, preferably from food and supplemented as well, nut oils like walnut etc too
the only thing you don't need are poly grain oils. omega 6..the foods are flooded with it

being T1, you can have fruits and such..most T2's shouldn't touch fructose [t2 make 10x fructose out of glucose]

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Have my walnuts everyday and also reverted back to 2 sq dark choc that I just never wanted for months.

Cooking and baking over the weekend so got to find some recipes tonight for my shopping list. Bought tinned beans so need to look what to use these with too.

Can't believe I'm in my 5th decade and still needing ideas and help with food as simple as avocado etc... Chuckle chuckle.....unbelievable.

vit90

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I read that you can eat more nuts (and seeds) than the calorie content indicates because a portion is undigested - so if you are limiting your intake of these you can probably allow yourself more. All vegetable and animal fats have roughly the same calories (about 880 per 100g). Not sure why avocado oil is being recommended as it's really really expensive compared to olive oil, which as far as I can see has much the same properties?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
i don't eat porridge as it really isn't something I can tolerate. Hubby just changed back to it though as easy to take a portion to work with him. He said last night though that after 3 dsys he is bored with it!!! In fact I don't eat breakfast very often unless hubby is home and makes something for me.

For me its something to put on my plate to eat as I just don't snack and after 50 years that really is just going to be too much for me to contend with. Perhaps I can add some more nuts to my dinner walnuts that I take with my vitamin tablets though. Will add some almonds on.. Although this is another thing my taste buds will have to adapt too as was given a sugar coated sort of almond as a kid and really never liked them since!

I think that my stomach has shrunk over the decades to just not giving signals to my brain for "feed me" :)

What a different shopping list I'm getting!