What have you eaten today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

IncyWincy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast: 2 eggs scrambled, 2 rashers, 3 tomato halves, buttered mushrooms, half a grapefruit.
Lunch: Greek yoghurt with chopped nuts, strawberries and a kiwi, 2 squares 85% chocolate.
Dinner: Salmon fillet, buttered mashed swede, green beans, leeks, carrots.

Reactions: 4 people

Spencer67

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Carbs and Blue Meanies
Had day of experimenting with some old friends, Pasta and Fruit, have to report no dramatic spikes in bg but it does rise more with than without.

Breakfast
Veggy and Fruit Smoothie
Juiced; Carrot, Apple Celery, Ginger, Beetroot, Lemon, Lime then Blended with; Blueberries, Spinach and Spring Water

Made up about 1.2 litres did an approximation on the carbs which came to; Total Carbs 71g
which surprised me but i only drank 300ml which was 18g carb
Bg post juice was up to 8.7 as expected but no big spike, not as dramatically as i thought anyway but i did have to bolus 3u novomix30 for it.

Dinner
Tuna, Cheese and Avocado !!!Pasta!!! Salad Total Carbs 35g

I cooked the Pasta by the method found on the forum today at the Dailymail website (Cook, Cool, Reheat) that evidently reduces the carb content.
BG was 7.3 pre meal i didn't have any insulin just to see how the meal affected my bg
BG 2 hours post meal rose to 10.3, the reheat method seemed to work as Pasta cooked normally usually shoots my bg right up and i have no choice but to use more insulin but this method ensured i was able to reduce my insulin dose today to 10u novomix30. Normally i was on about 15-20u+. My rise in blood sugar probably suggests there were more carbs in the pasta than google estimated for me.

Don't really advocate Pasta was just an experiment will probably stay clear of it still.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...-surprising-health-benefits-day-old-food.html

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Sable_Jan

Are you losing weight on this regime, Jan, or have you decided just to enjoy your new way of eating?
I must say I find your comments rather RUDE and OFFENSIVE.... especially when posted in a response to the listing of a very reasonable day's food intake.....

As regards to a NEW way of eating .... I am eating no differently than I have been since my pre-diabetes diagnosis.... I have added some tasty additions when people have posted different recipes using ingredients I hadn't heard of before but otherwise no differently....

I CAN eat rice, so I do, I CAN eat pasta, so I do.....I CAN eat TOAST, so I do

I've no intention of telling you whether I am losing weight or not - its nothing do with YOU - if you, and I've noticed some others, want to live on starvation rations then that's up to you - I've no intention of trying to change that NOR being a MARTYR to Diabetes (as some seem to be doing)

I eat to my meter and to what I fancy and if it upsets you I CAN eat some things you don't then that's not my problem it's yours. This isn't the first of your posts I have found offensive and if I get any others then I will have no worries about REPORTING them....

Reactions: 10 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I must say I find your comments rather RUDE and OFFENSIVE.... especially when posted in a response to the listing of a very reasonable day's food intake.....

As regards to a NEW way of eating .... I am eating no differently than I have been since my pre-diabetes diagnosis.... I have added some tasty additions when people have posted different recipes using ingredients I hadn't heard of before but otherwise no differently....

I've no intention of telling you whether I am losing weight or not - its nothing do with YOU - if you, and I've noticed some others, want to live on starvation rations then that's up to you - I've no intention of trying to change that NOR being a MARTYR to Diabetes (as some seem to be doing)

I eat to my meter and to what I fancy and if it upsets you I CAN eat some things you don't then that's not my problem it's yours. This isn't the first of your posts I have found offensive and if I get any others then I will have no worries about REPORTING them....

In which case, I apologise if you found my post rude. I clearly didn't make myself clear, either in the message or in conveying any context.

Some weeks ago, I asked you where you were in the weight loss or desire to lose weight spectrum (admittedly that was in response to a day's food that seemed unlikely to promote weight loss) and if I recall correctly you responded something along the lines that you weren't losing weight, but you might like to. I wondered how you are doing now, particularly as I had responded to someone else this morning commenting not all calories are equal, with many lower carb eaters able to consume higher than expected levels of fat (and as a result calories) that one might routinely expect.

Again, I apologise if my post was misunderstood. I'll think more carefully before asking in future.

Feel free to report anything that offends you. That's what the button is for. :)

Reactions: 2 people

HA3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
B. One boiled egg -on the go.
L. 2 rashers bacon, 2 fried eggs.
D. Pork chop, swede and cauliflower mash, few carrots, onion and cream sauce - delicious! Followed by jelly n cream.
Bg post 2 h 7.0 on left hand but 6.1 on right. Same thing yesterday 7.4 left hand but 6.5 on right? :cool: happier when less than 7 so perhaps only test right hand In future :D

Reactions: 11 people

kateincornwall

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who lie , animal cruelty , boredom and pineapple !
Breakfast , poached eggs, one rasher of bacon
Lunch one and a half slices of Burgen soya and linseed bread with ham and beetroot
Tea ( just eaten ) roast chicken with spinach and mushrooms .

Reactions: 7 people

Hedonista

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yesterday I spent from 8.45am to 5.30pm outside in the cold weather, got home late and knackered and fell asleep before I'd really eaten enough. Today I am RAVENOUS!!

Breakfast: 4 rashers of quorn bacon, fried mushrooms, tomatoes and two eggs.
Lunch: Coffee and cream on the run.
Dinner: Home made chicken and spinach curry - used coconut oil for the first time which gave it a delicious flavour. Still hungry though... run out of yogurt and cream sadly, fancy some berries and yogurt!

Reactions: 10 people

Blessedarethecheesemakers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
B: smoked salmon, half avocado, teaspoon hollandaise, 2 scrambled eggs with cheddar.

L: cheese, onion and sweetcorn omelette. Half avocado, bit of goat's cheese, sliced tomato.

D: black farmer sausages, cauliflower cheese.

Snack: few peanuts, cashews and almonds.

Have been very hungry today, after having a lot of white wine last night at a party.

Reactions: 11 people

Spencer67

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Carbs and Blue Meanies
B: smoked salmon, half avocado, teaspoon hollandaise, 2 scrambled eggs with cheddar.

L: cheese, onion and sweetcorn omelette. Half avocado, bit of goat's cheese, sliced tomato.

D: black farmer sausages, cauliflower cheese.

Snack: few peanuts, cashews and almonds.

Have been very hungry today, after having a lot of white wine last night at a party.
i hope it was the lc dry white cheesymaker :)

Reactions: 6 people

Ellie-70

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Brunch - Fried breakfast of 3 Turkey rashers, 2 eggs, 2 tomato halves and mushrooms. Fried in butter, delicious. Followed by 25g 85% Chocolate bar.
Evening - fell asleep for several hours and left it too late to cook dinner so had a few slices of cold roast beef with Hellman's Caesar dressing and a piece of Cashel Blue cheese.
Throughout day 4 cups of tea with cream.
Only ate 12g carbs all day so I am going to be ravenous tomorrow!

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes and ulcerative colitis.... :) Rude people... Violence.... and the amount of time I spend away from my beautiful family in the UK...
Had day of experimenting with some old friends, Pasta and Fruit, have to report no dramatic spikes in bg but it does rise more with than without.

Breakfast
Veggy and Fruit Smoothie
Juiced; Carrot, Apple Celery, Ginger, Beetroot, Lemon, Lime then Blended with; Blueberries, Spinach and Spring Water

Made up about 1.2 litres did an approximation on the carbs which came to; Total Carbs 71g
which surprised me but i only drank 300ml which was 18g carb
Bg post juice was up to 8.7 as expected but no big spike, not as dramatically as i thought anyway but i did have to bolus 3u novomix30 for it.

Dinner
Tuna, Cheese and Avocado !!!Pasta!!! Salad Total Carbs 35g

I cooked the Pasta by the method found on the forum today at the Dailymail website (Cook, Cool, Reheat) that evidently reduces the carb content.
BG was 7.3 pre meal i didn't have any insulin just to see how the meal affected my bg
BG 2 hours post meal rose to 10.3, the reheat method seemed to work as Pasta cooked normally usually shoots my bg right up and i have no choice but to use more insulin but this method ensured i was able to reduce my insulin dose today to 10u novomix30. Normally i was on about 15-20u+. My rise in blood sugar probably suggests there were more carbs in the pasta than google estimated for me.

Don't really advocate Pasta was just an experiment will probably stay clear of it still.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...-surprising-health-benefits-day-old-food.html
It's all so interesting, isn't it? My son told me some time ago about double cooking the pasta to break down the carbs.. I haven't had the courage to test it yet, but yesterday I decided I would try it this week, but with a cream sauce, not tomato, to keep the sugar down a bit... The problem with juicing is that it is giving you all the sugar and none of the precious fibre really... I'm lucky that I never liked juice, even as a child, so when I got my NutriBullet and could mash the lot together I was very happy... :) My husband gags a bit I think when he sees my smoothies... :yuck: kale or spinach, broccoli, goat's yoghurt, milled tiger nuts (chufa), a couple of strawberries and a handful of blueberries - I slake it with pure coconut water though... I think it might be an acquired taste... :) Brunnaria likes green smoothies too though... I usually add cinnamon and turmeric too... just gets better and better, eh? :hilarious:

Reactions: 7 people

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes and ulcerative colitis.... :) Rude people... Violence.... and the amount of time I spend away from my beautiful family in the UK...
B. One boiled egg -on the go.
L. 2 rashers bacon, 2 fried eggs.
D. Pork chop, swede and cauliflower mash, few carrots, onion and cream sauce - delicious! Followed by jelly n cream.
Bg post 2 h 7.0 on left hand but 6.1 on right. Same thing yesterday 7.4 left hand but 6.5 on right? :cool: happier when less than 7 so perhaps only test right hand In future :D
My goodness.. I've never noticed the difference in the hands when I've tested... I shall do that later today... how odd... :)

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Breakfast , poached eggs, one rasher of bacon
Lunch one and a half slices of Burgen soya and linseed bread with ham and beetroot
Tea ( just eaten ) roast chicken with spinach and mushrooms .
Are you low-carbing Kate? Can you eat bread and beetroot without spiking? Do you cook the beetroot twice to reduce the carbs? Sorry to sound nosy but I keep reading about the twice-cooked method and I would love to eat beetroot, but it spikes me badly... Have you tried to double-cook anything at all? Spencer double-cooked pasta yesterday, but he said he thought it was higher in carbs than he was led to believe by the article he read... It would be nice if it worked... :) I am still away from home so cannot try it out yet, but intend to do some serious testing this week when I get back into my kitchen... :)

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Yesterday I spent from 8.45am to 5.30pm outside in the cold weather, got home late and knackered and fell asleep before I'd really eaten enough. Today I am RAVENOUS!!

Breakfast: 4 rashers of quorn bacon, fried mushrooms, tomatoes and two eggs.
Lunch: Coffee and cream on the run.
Dinner: Home made chicken and spinach curry - used coconut oil for the first time which gave it a delicious flavour. Still hungry though... run out of yogurt and cream sadly, fancy some berries and yogurt!
It all sounds yummy... especially the curry... :) Have you tried making the Stracciatella cake? Can you eat almonds? I make it with a whole bar of 85% dark chocolate broken up into it and my husband loves it more than I do!! I warm a slice up and have it with cream, and blueberries if I have them... You can freeze it in slices in little ziplock bags and it's lush... It would be really good for you when you come in cold, tired and hungry - it would lift your spirits too... :) It's very easy to make - it's on the Low Carb Recipes thread on this forum... I'm sure you know all this, but, just in case... hope you catch up with your food and your sleep.. :)

Reactions: 2 people

Hedonista

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It all sounds yummy... especially the curry... :) Have you tried making the Stracciatella cake? Can you eat almonds? I make it with a whole bar of 85% dark chocolate broken up into it and my husband loves it more than I do!! I warm a slice up and have it with cream, and blueberries if I have them... You can freeze it in slices in little ziplock bags and it's lush... It would be really good for you when you come in cold, tired and hungry - it would lift your spirits too... :) It's very easy to make - it's on the Low Carb Recipes thread on this forum... I'm sure you know all this, but, just in case... hope you catch up with your food and your sleep.. :)

I've not thought about making it because I don't have much of a sweet tooth and I imagine it's sweet? (It's called cake!!) but you're right, it might be a lovely pic-me-up after a long day out. I am quite often out in cold weather for hours so I might look into it! x

kateincornwall

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Susikav , yes I am low carbing, can tolerate one or two slices of Burgen bread no probs . What I do with the beetroot ( fresh ) is to boil it first and then roast in a little olive oil . I cant tolerate pasta but might try the double cooking method , or maybe its best left well alone !

Blessedarethecheesemakers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
i hope it was the lc dry white cheesymaker :)

I stuck to champagne, prosecco and dry white wine :)

Have just remembered I had a snack when I came in at 3am ... But it was mozzarella and tomato, with basil oil. How times have changed - not long ago I would have eaten a load of bread (which I do still have in the house, for the children, so I am amazed I didn't seek it out).

Reactions: 8 people

kateincornwall

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
For me, bread has been the hardest food of all to give up , Burgen is ok but just sometimes , I fantasise about a big hunk of white bread , must get a grip ;)

Reactions: 8 people
K

Kat100

Hi @Sable_Jan it's true some people can eat what you have highlighted and enjoy it ...I eat bread rice and potato to , just smaller portions because it suits the way I eat , my health and my lifestyle choice ... Yes it's still lower carb for me , but perhaps more portion control,I am guessing that might be the same for you ...and msny others... Just depends on personal need...
Oooo I must try the chia seeds ...have read a lot about them as a superfood ..thanks for reminding me ...:) Must get some ..
Lots of people reduce carbs to suit them , sadly as I have always experienced here some don't share their diets openly , due to back lash ...not nice I like being the individual I am ...FB can be great their groups share some eating habits in an open way ...even the one linked to this forum , at times ... I support all,diets that each of us chooses ...life is short enough enjoy ...
Thanks for sharing your diet ...must get the chi seeds .... Kat

Edited to say am medium carb ...

S

Sable_Jan

It's all so interesting, isn't it? My son told me some time ago about double cooking the pasta to break down the carbs.. I haven't had the courage to test it yet, but yesterday I decided I would try it this week, but with a cream sauce, not tomato, to keep the sugar down a bit... The problem with juicing is that it is giving you all the sugar and none of the precious fibre really... I'm lucky that I never liked juice, even as a child, so when I got my NutriBullet and could mash the lot together I was very happy... :) My husband gags a bit I think when he sees my smoothies... :yuck: kale or spinach, broccoli, goat's yoghurt, milled tiger nuts (chufa), a couple of strawberries and a handful of blueberries - I slake it with pure coconut water though... I think it might be an acquired taste... :) Brunnaria likes green smoothies too though... I usually add cinnamon and turmeric too... just gets better and better, eh? :hilarious:
Liked but still can't stomach the thoughts of trying smoothies like that... :yuck: mind you I've never really cared for all smooth stuff as a meal though.... never even done the "shakes" thing.... I want something to EAT :hungry::hungry::hungry::hungry:

But we're all different so enjoy (just won't be coming to your house for a meal when you're having shakes) ..... mind you some of your other stuff sounds wonderful ... I'll come then ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.