22 years old and HbA1c = 98

KS260400

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi there,

I'm completely new to all of this and I've been having some problems. I was called into my gp center on Friday following a blood test I had done on Thursday my HbA1c results came put as 98 and I was sent to hospital ASAP.

The doctors are investigating whether I have type 1 or 2 diabetes however type 2 is in the family and I have never taken care with my sugar in take until now. I have been given metformin 500mg and gliclizade 40mg but I'm finding it really hard to swollow the metformin and I've been getting diarrhoea with it too (the doctors told me thats normal).

At hospital my blood was reading 17.7, 20.0 etc but now with the medication my readings are coming down my most recent reading was 9.8 so its getting better...

If you have any tips about swallowing the tablet or you have heard of this sort of case before then please let me know.

Thanks so much!

• Hug
Reactions: Lainie71

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
You poor thing @KS260400. first of all - a big hug to you, and well done you for coming into the Forum.

If it's type two - you have your youth on your side, as high, and serious, as your blood glucose level is. Your chances of turning your health around for the better are really good. If it's type one - your diabetes is really treatable, and with those new continuous blood glucose meters now - much easier to keep on top of it? (Plenty of type ones will come in and reassure I am sure.)

Your reaction to metformin is indeed one of the worse ones - very hard to live normally with diarhhea. As that medication is in response to a possible type two 'verdict' - could you talk to your medical team about dealing with your high blood glucose initially with a drastic lowering of your carbohydrate intake? And upping protein and healthy fat. And if you are able (probably can't do this with diarhhea) - an immediate uptake in physical activity? As in walking long distances if you are able to. This is the ol' 'Diet and Exercise' route, which is the best one for type two, which is why medical professionals are supposed to suggest it first and foremost, at least in the two countries I know best - Aotearoa/NZ, and Sweden, in their approach to type two treatment. I don't know what physical shape you are in of course - are you able to put on some walking shoes and get out and about? And be in control of your food intake? Straight away. Definintely something to talk to the docs and nurses about.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The unpleasant gastric side effects of Metformin are fairly common. It should settle down after a week or two, but if it persists you should speak to your gp about switching to slow release Metformin which is supposed to not have those problems.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
The doctors are investigating whether I have type 1 or 2 diabetes however type 2 is in the family and I have never taken care with my sugar in take until now.
22 is quite ypung for T2 so I wouldn't rule out T1 even if T2 is in the family. But in any case I want to stress that diabetes is not your fault, whether it's faulty genetics (T2) or who knows what (T1). And just to confuse matters there are other types of diabetes out there (eg MODY, which is genetic).

(Speaking as the T1 daughter of a T1 mother and T2 father, with a husband with two T2 parents, so my kids are genetically doomed. :) )

And welcome to the forums. Hopefully we can give you some help and/or moral support whichever type of diabetes you turn out to have.

Reactions: KS260400

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
@EllieM - type two at least is epigenetic. This means it is an interplay between the body/genetic make up we inherit, and our environment, including chemicals and pollution and so on in our physical environment, but principally - it's food and drink. At least for insulin resistance based type two. There is no such thing as 'being doomed' when it comes to epigenetics! And a whole lot to do with working on prevention big time. This is good news for your kids EllieM!

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
The unpleasant gastric side effects of Metformin are fairly common. It should settle down after a week or two, but if it persists you should speak to your gp about switching to slow release Metformin which is supposed to not have those problems.

My understanding is the fairly common side effects of metformin are gastro-intestinal, which is a fancy way of saying stomach pains of varying intensity, but usually mild, and flatulence. Nausea is fairly common as well, actual vomiting less so. Diarhea is less common, I believe, and from what I read in here - is very debilitating, as one can imagine. Folks that I have been close to who suffer a side effect of diahrhea become house bound for obvious reasons, and are at the least lucky if they can work from home! There is a lot of mopping up and laundry involved.

My understanding is that if you have the more severe side effects one's medical professionals usually put you on an alternative medication, or as you say - try out the slow release one first before doing that.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Prem51 and KS260400

KS260400

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks to everyone who has replied to my message, your support really means a lot and I've learnt lots. I spoke to my doctor and he said that if these side effects carry on he can give me the slow release metformin

Also for reference I'm a 5'5 female and im 11st 7

Reactions: AloeSvea and Prem51