24hr bp monitor

Marvelchick79

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi, just wondered if anyone had experience with wearing one of these? I have to have one and I just keep thinking I'll be so aware of it it will raise my bp lol!

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, just wondered if anyone had experience with wearing one of these? I have to have one and I just keep thinking I'll be so aware of it it will raise my bp lol!
I've never worn one but a friend of mine has and never mentioned anything regarding discomfort or the like.

I think the idea behind constant BP monitors is that you'll soon become unaware that it's on and this will eradicate any issues such as "white coat" syndrome. Because of that, I reckon they'd have a fairly small footprint and you'll forget you've even got one on after a short while:)

Last edited:
Reactions: Marvelchick79

Swiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Marvelchick79
I had the 24hr bp monitoring in April last year and it was fine. I have white coat syndrome and worried that the stress of worrying that my readings would be high would cause them to be high, a vicious circle but that didn't seem to happen.
I don't think you will forget about it while you have it on but just relax and let it do its job. It doesn't hurt and the nurse adjusted it so that it inflated less frequently at night than it did during the day so it didn't interfere too much with sleep.
Good luck. X

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
I had the 24hr bp monitoring,
It was ok just found it a inconvience

A

Avocado Sevenfold

I had one of these this week. It was less arm-squeezy than a regular arm cuff so was not uncomfortable. It inflated every half hour throughout the day and every hour while I was asleep. Nurse was able to give me a print off of all the readings which was interesting. My machine made a wee beep every time it started and finished inflating so maybe don't wear it if you're playing hide and seek. Good luck!

Marvelchick79

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I had one of these this week. It was less arm-squeezy than a regular arm cuff so was not uncomfortable. It inflated every half hour throughout the day and every hour while I was asleep. Nurse was able to give me a print off of all the readings which was interesting. My machine made a wee beep every time it started and finished inflating so maybe don't wear it if you're playing hide and seek. Good luck!

I shall bear the beep in mind whilst playing

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I wore one a few years ago. I left the surgery and went shopping. In the supermarket I attracted a lot of attention every time it started (every 20 minutes) as it sounded like I was breaking wind. :arghh::arghh:

It is also wise to wear something with long sleeves as they are very visible. I was lucky in that the nurse said I could take it off when I went to bed.

ann34+

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
i have used one 3 or 4 times now, and due another in less than 3 weeks, i forget it is on, and wish it tested for more than one day, and more at night, my machines were only once an hour night, starting 10.00pm, and every half an hour daytime, they are good, as the stress element - even when one takes it oneself - is not there. My bp is always lower than it was thought to be from random readings.

fletchweb

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other

When I went thru some trouble controlling my Blood Sugars about 5 years ago my doctor prescribed one to wear for a week. So I did - the funny thing is by the time I managed to get one fitted, I had already figured out the issue - (eating too late in the evenings coupled by bad carbs) so when he read the results he commented that that my BGs were really good and scratched his head as to why my A1C was 8.3. I tried telling him but by this time he had already made up his mind I needed to see a nutritionist.

So I did only to be told I needed to increase my carb intake. (That was the last time I have ever consulted with a nutritionist) and as well I avoid my doctor as much as I can - he's 10 years or more behind the times.

But the 24 hour BG monitor was really cool.

Ann1982

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I had to use one a few years ago. I just found it a nuisance but it was worse for my husband. It wakened him up every time it took a measurement!

fletchweb

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
I had to use one a few years ago. I just found it a nuisance but it was worse for my husband. It wakened him up every time it took a measurement!
We must of been using different models. Mine was attached to the side of my stomach with a very fine needle pad that was kind of taped on. It took a reading every 30 seconds for 7 days - 24 hours a day. The resulting line chart showing my BG levels at different times if the day was quite interesting. It didn't really change the way I do things but cool technology.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
We must of been using different models. Mine was attached to the side of my stomach with a very fine needle pad that was kind of taped on. It took a reading every 30 seconds for 7 days - 24 hours a day. The resulting line chart showing my BG levels at different times if the day was quite interesting. It didn't really change the way I do things but cool technology.

Fletch, I think you are talking crossed wires here! This is a 24 hour blood pressure gadget. Not a 24 hour blood glucose monitor. :)

D

Deleted Account

I had a 24 hour bp meter and found it very inconvenient.
My surgery was not great - the first time I turned up, they realised the machine was broken so I have to go to the back of the queue and wait for it to be fixed.
When I returned, the batteries were flat. Luckily they were able to find replacements. Then the only strap they had was for a large giant so it had to be knotted multiple times to stop me tripping over it.
I had planned a normal day (to get normal readings) but when the nurse said "I hope you are not planning on playing tennis today", I realised I would have to cancel climbing. She was worried that I would damage an expensive piece of kit.
The machine was noisy every hour it took a reading so I had to sleep alone ... or rather snooze between tests ... to avoid waking my partner.
I was just glad I was working from home and didn't have to walk around with it.

I was only told the results when I phoned up. Or rather when I phoned up I was told something like "the notes on your file say there is nothing to worry about". When I asked what the actual results were I was told they had thrown away the print out because it was ok.

AT least I can point to white coat syndrome next time my BP is measured high by someone in a white coat.