26 yr old female recently diagnosed with” type 1”

amandakelly

Type of diabetes
Researcher
Treatment type
Insulin
I am still waiting to see which type but doctor is almost certain it is type 1.

Currently panicking inside. Was diagnosed 2 days ago seems like a nightmare i just want to wake up from. My body feels stuffed and achy. I want to go back and not ever taken a spoon of sugar!

To my husband , family and coworkers I am putting up a front that I’m strong and will get through it. But inside I’m freaking out. I don’t understand why i have to go through this at 26. Mom was diagnosed last year with type 2. She lost about 30 lbs and got healthy. Her dr said she may be taken off medication next year! Now she is so afraid for me. I want to be strong for her. I want to be strong like her! But mine is different. I’m fit and healthy. 2 days ago I was put on novalong 3 times a day and long 1 time at night. Of course the metmorfin 2 times. My blood sugar has been low so novalong has only been used once.

This is just a lot of information and too many things that just changed in one day!!!!

AlexMagd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Can't imagine how tough that is for you @amandakelly, but you've come to the right place. You'll find a lot of people with T1D on here who are living pretty much normal lives. Diabetes is a horrible adjustment, and feels so unfair, but it's manageable and while it might not seem like much of a positive, the fact your Mum has it will be good support for you. Most people have to explain everything to their family and friends while simultaneously dealing with the diagnosis - she'll be able to help you adjust and won't stare at you blankly the first time you say "mmols". I've not got much advice to offer you, as a T2, but I will say that you'll find a ton of help on this forum. And don't be afraid to let your emotions loose, especially to your family. It's a hard diagnosis to get and it's OK to be upset about it. People will understand.

Reactions: Guzzler

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
welcome here amandakelly hope you´ll stay in this forum it is great for help and support and discussions .. and it really helps one to accept and cope with diabetes... we are not alone in this fight for optimal health even being diabetic... stay optimistic most of us can manage very well... some are more unlucky but still have much support here ...to endure it all..

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
but if you are type 2 the core point is to count the number of grams of carbs one eat in a day.. and to start with it is very effective to get blood glucose down by going really low in carbs .. like under 100 grams or 150 grams ... try that and you´ll learn to control blood glucose... type 1 is different ... then you need to control levels of insuline most of all and match with what you eat ..

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @amandakelly . Welcome to the forum. The most important thing at this moment for you is acceptance. If you are T1 then that's it, it's not going to go away. It's not your fault, going back and changing your life would probably make no difference whatsoever. I was diagnosed at 27 probably at my fittest ever, not bragging or boasting but I was extremely fit and diabetes still got me. This was 27 yrs ago and I'm still T1 , still able to kick the butts of non diabetics half my age in the gym.
Your diagnosis, as bad as it seems now, can and will make you a stronger person. There is a lot for you to learn and understand but believe me this condition can with the right approach and attitude make you a truly great individual.
Stay on the forum, there really is some great people here, who will help you.
Chin up, no need to put a front on for anyone, of course you're freaking out, but you'll be surprised how people will understand and help if they can.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome. At 26 unless you are very much overweight your diagnosis is likely to be T1. As things settle do come back here for any advice you may need. There are many here who have T1 and can help.

lou258

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sending positive thoughts. I’m recently diagnosed - 6 weeks - and am adjusting ok most of the time then have a little cry sometimes when my little boys aren’t around. But excellent support on here and people to listen, help and get us thru

Ixarix

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed a week ago as type one. I tried to be brave about it after I got out of the hospital, that things were fine, but I was scared to, and wound up having a melt down on the weekend. I was very upset at how things turned out, and I just wanted to run away and hide. So I understand how you're feeling right now because I feel that way too. But now after a few more days, and experiencing things first hand I realized it won't be so bad. I found injecting insulin fairly easy, and only takes a minute. Also testing only takes a minute as well, and I think I'm managing to get hang of and I'm sure you will too. We will find ways to muddle through.

Reactions: lou258

maria030660

Dislikes
backstabbers, brocoli and dirt toilets...uggghhhh
It is hard to see the reaction is still the same today as it was decades ago for me. It took a lot of adjusting in a time whehn there was no modern insulins and also no meter to test your blood. But the impact is the same today. The life of carb counting, living a more regular life, injects, blood testing every and get into the swing of things. But you will get there, like many of people who have been diabetic for a considerable time will tell you. Important is that you share the grief, tell your friends and let them help you. It will make all the difference in the world. Dont be ashamed of it all.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
There really isn't any reason to blame yourself for getting diabetes - it is not caused by eating sugar. A - so called - healthy diet is just as likely to not be at all good for you.
I seem to need to eat 60 gm of carb a day as a maximum if I do not do a couple of sessions of exercise daily - and even then 80gm is the absolute max. Before diagnosis I needed to limit carbs to control my weight.
Whatever your eventual diagnosis, you can only go forward with it, do what you need to do, and I hope that the Metformin agrees with you - I had so many nasty effects when I was prescribed it along with a statin - but like your mother, I 'only' need to control my carbs and take no notice of all the advice I have been ignoring so successfully.
If you need insulin then you have it available, along with all the devices and do-dads to test and administer it - and whilst I can sympathise with your situation, as a type one you do have a far wider set of foods you can eat.